Login  |  Register
Nissanhelp.com - All About Nissan
Do-It-Yourself Maintenance Owners Manuals Recalls/Campaigns Service Bulletins Service Manuals Nissan OBDII Codes Glossary & Acronyms More...
Member's Ride Photos Stock Photo Gallery
Classifieds - For Sale Classifieds - Wanted To Buy Classifieds - Mechanic Wanted Classifieds - Auto Services Search Auto Parts
Register FAQ Social Groups Mark Forums Read
Transponder Key and Keyfob Forums > > Transponder Key and Keyfob Transponder Key and Keyfob
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Rogue Nissan Rogue Discussion Forum

Old 01-12-2011, 08:32 AM
2008 Rogue
2008 Quest

Default Transponder Key and Keyfob

My Rogue, like many others, uses transponder keys (but not the proximity or Intelligent Key, so there are no little buttons on the door handles)

Can I get another keyfob that isn't attached to a key? Will the keyfobs that are used by the Intelligent Key Rogues work with mine (Part numbers: CWTWBU729, 285E3-EM30D, TWB1U729)?

One of the reasons that I don't really like the integrated key + keyfob is that there is no easy way to lock and unlock the door with the car running, when you're outside the car. For example, it's currently -23C outside, and it would be nice to warm up the car without it being stolen. How do I do that? With the Nissan Quest and Sentra, you can put the key in the ignition, start the car, and take the keyfob and use it to lock and unlock the doors, but with the integrated key, the keyfob is stuck in the ignition. It wouldn't matter anyway, because if I take my second keyfob and use to lock the doors, they automatically unlock. The only ways to lock the key in the car is to manually lock it before I close the door, or use a second key in the door lock to mechanically lock it. Who wants to walk around with *two* big clunky keys in their pocket?

So, you say, just get a copy of the key without the transponder chip, it will be much smaller. Ok, this can be done at the dealership for around $8, so that's not too bad. I wish the Tech worked better so I didn't have to carry around two keys, but whatever. Don't bother going to a key kiosk to try to get a non-transponder key cut from a transponder key. They are very paranoid, and won't do it. One kiosk said that if they put the transponder key in their mechanical duplicator, it would fry the transponder key. I fail to see how a spinning cutter 7" from a transponder key is going to fry it

If you do want another transponder key, you'd better show up at the dealership with a big wad of money, and bring the car, too.

Key = $112 (Canadian)
Programming = $70
Cutting $8

= $190 for one key

What is the world coming to when 12 grams of metal, and $1.25 in electronics can be sold for nearly $200.

If you're not familiar with how the transponder keys work: You need to get the key mechanically cut to fit the proper profile for your lock. Then once that is done, and you can use it to unlock the doors. Next, you need to register that key with the car's computer (ECU), a process that practically nobody except the dealer can do ($70)because you need a sophisticated CAN Buss diagnostic tool and an "IMMO" pass code (which can be calculated based on numbers on your ECU, or VIN), now understandably, you want this process to be a bit complicated, because it's security -- you don't want the valet to be able to register a key by using a simple programming sequence (ie. put key in lock 9 times in 10 seconds, then click unlock, etc), but hey, if you could enter a programming mode with a registered key, that would allow other registered keys, that would be secure enough. As a side note, consider that the other way to go is to duplicate the key, both mechanically, and with the same transponder information, a process that can be done by your valet in less than 5 minutes with about $750 worth of equipment and software. On top of that, you really have to consider the whole security scheme, if you make it that difficult to start or fake a key, then whoever wants to steal you car is just going to load it onto a flatbed tow truck, which can be done in under a minute, so is it really worth getting that bent about key registration?

Nobody at Nissan that I've talked to knows what will happen, for sure, if I try to use a non-transponder key to start the car. What really happens if I use a non-transponder key?

I've gotten answers ranging from "it won't start" to "it will lock down the ECU and you will have to tow the car to the dealership to have them reprogram the ECU" ($200) to "it won't start, but if you put a proper key in quickly after that it will be fine" to "it will fry the computer".

Lastly, here's a tip for Nissan: I don't care that much if someone can get into my car and start it, what I care about is if they can drive it away, so how about in a future software update for the 2008 Rogue: change the programming so that I can start the car with a non transponder key, but not put it in gear? There's already a solenoid that locks the gearshift when my foot isn't on the brake...so just move the lines of code that check for the transponder key from when I start the car to the point in the sequence when I step on the brake, and want to move the shifter from P.
Old 01-12-2011, 02:17 PM
2015 Rogue

You can use a sentra remote. Buy one cheap on ebay. You can program it yourself. Or get a remote car starter.
ASE Master Certified.

Last edited by mpe235; 01-12-2011 at 02:47 PM.
Old 01-13-2011, 08:18 AM
2008 Rogue
2008 Quest

Ok, thanks for the info.

The major reason that I don't have a remote car starter is that the car is usually parked in an attached garage. Since I can't guarantee that the Start button won't get pressed accidentally, I haven't gone that route.

The envisioned scenario is:
Accidental Start button press --> Family dies of CO poisoning.

Call me paranoid ;-)
Old 01-19-2011, 07:56 AM
2008 Rogue
2008 Quest

Ok, I'm answering one of my own questions, and asking another...

What happens if you try to start the car with a non transponder key?

Nothing. The lights on the dash turn on, the key turns in the ignition, but the car doesn't start. After five attempts with the non-transponder key that I had cut, I just put the transponder key in and it started just fine. It doesn't appear to "lock" the computer, or invalidate the other transponder keys. It may be possible to attach the transponder chip close to the keyway, and just use non-transponder keys...

I've read on some blogs (not Nissan specific) that if you have two transponder keys there is a programming procedure that you can do to activate another transponder key, but if you only have one, you're out of luck.

Is there a programming procedure that involves two registered transponder keys and a sequence that will allow me to register another key?
Old 01-19-2011, 02:55 PM
2015 Rogue

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith_P View Post
Ok, I'm answering one of my own questions, and asking another...

What happens if you try to start the car with a non transponder key?

Nothing. The lights on the dash turn on, the key turns in the ignition, but the car doesn't start. After five attempts with the non-transponder key that I had cut, I just put the transponder key in and it started just fine. It doesn't appear to "lock" the computer, or invalidate the other transponder keys. It may be possible to attach the transponder chip close to the keyway, and just use non-transponder keys...

I've read on some blogs (not Nissan specific) that if you have two transponder keys there is a programming procedure that you can do to activate another transponder key, but if you only have one, you're out of luck.

Is there a programming procedure that involves two registered transponder keys and a sequence that will allow me to register another key?
No

Tags
key, keyfob, transponder