Login  |  Register
Nissanhelp.com - All About Nissan
Do-It-Yourself Maintenance Owners Manuals Recalls/Campaigns Service Bulletins Service Manuals Nissan OBDII Codes Glossary & Acronyms More...
Member's Ride Photos Stock Photo Gallery
Classifieds - For Sale Classifieds - Wanted To Buy Classifieds - Mechanic Wanted Classifieds - Auto Services Search Auto Parts
Register FAQ Social Groups Mark Forums Read
2002 Quest Overheats on Short drives Forums > > 2002 Quest Overheats on Short drives 2002 Quest Overheats on Short drives
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Quest Nissan Quest Discussion Forum

Old 12-29-2007, 01:01 PM
wnoyes

Default 2002 Quest Overheats on Short drives

Our 2002 Quest has started overheating (strong smell of coolant, steam under the hood if it is cold outside, but temp gage shows normal temp) on short drives, less than 10 miles/minutes. Coolant is fresh, and levels are normal. If I leave home, and get on the freeway for my 30 mile/45 minute commute, everything is fine, no smell, no steam. But if I drive to the local store, it acts like its overheating.

Sitting in the driveway, idling, I never see the radiator fan spin unless the A/C is on, in which case it spins.

Before this started, I had an upper rad hose fail, and the engine overheated on the drive home. I replaced the upper and lower hoses, and the coolant. Did I damage something else? Thermostat, Coolant Sensor, ECM, something else?

Thanks for any advice.
Old 12-29-2007, 03:46 PM
Super Moderator
2004 Xterra

At lower speeds, the radiator fan should cool the radiator. It seems that the fan is not coming ON at low speed, but it does comes ON at high speed with the A/C ON.

You should start by inspecting the radiator fan 20A (yellow) fusible link in the engine compartment. If the fuse is OK try changing or swapping "COOLING FAN RELAY 1" in the engine compartment relay box.
Attached Thumbnails
2002 Quest Overheats on Short drives-figure5-gif   2002 Quest Overheats on Short drives-figure6-gif   2002 Quest Overheats on Short drives-figure7-gif  
Old 12-29-2007, 04:03 PM
tig

Make sure you bleed the air out of the cooling system. Air pockets in the system will cause overheating.
Old 12-29-2007, 05:54 PM
wnoyes

NissanTech: I have checked both the 20A and 75A fuses, and swapped the relays. I also have ran the fan by jumping the 3/5 connectors with the relays removed, so I know the fan motor is good at both speeds.

Tig: How do I bleed the air from the system. I know there is an Air Relief Plug behind the Throttle Body, but I'm not sure how to bleed the system.

Thanks for the prompt replies
Old 12-29-2007, 09:14 PM
tig

very detailed procedure documented in attached zip file.
Attached Files
File Type: zip refill.zip (312.2 KB, 19 views)

Tags
2002, drives, overheats, quest, short