Login  |  Register
Nissanhelp.com - All About Nissan
Do-It-Yourself Maintenance Owners Manuals Recalls/Campaigns Service Bulletins Service Manuals Nissan OBDII Codes Glossary & Acronyms More...
Member's Ride Photos Stock Photo Gallery
Classifieds - For Sale Classifieds - Wanted To Buy Classifieds - Mechanic Wanted Classifieds - Auto Services Search Auto Parts
Register FAQ Social Groups Mark Forums Read
1995 Nissan Quest (Mercury Villager) Forums > > 1995 Nissan Quest (Mercury Villager) 1995 Nissan Quest (Mercury Villager)
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Quest Nissan Quest Discussion Forum

Old 07-11-2016, 05:40 PM
1995 Quest

Default 1995 Nissan Quest (Mercury Villager)

The timing belt broke on my 1995 Mercury Villager. It has a Nissan 3.0 liter V 6 in it. Is this engine (A Nissan Quest engine in a 1995 Mercury Villager) an interference engine or non interference engine. I do not want to pay someone to replace the belt just to have them tell me "Sorry its an interference engine and its shot..after paying to get the belt replaced

"Wow.com" had the following information..but I do not know if it is accurate

VG30E engine
A 1994 Mercury Villager Nautica was tested going from 0–60 miles per hour in 11.7 seconds.[better source needed][2] The 1993-98 Villager had a turning radius of 38.7 feet. While all Villagers from 1993 to 1998 featured the same VG30E-type 3.0 liter 151-horsepower V6 used in the Nissan Quest from the same model years, Ford had actually required that Nissan make some design changes to the VG30E used in the first Quest prototypes before they would agree to use it in the Villager. Changes included the addition of an oil level sensor and relocating the oil filter assembly for better access. Although the VG30E used in other Nissan models were interference engines, the VG30Es in Quests and Villagers were non-interference.[3]
Old 07-12-2016, 12:44 AM
Master Enthusiast
2006 Pathfinder
2003 Frontier King Cab
2003 Frontier KC SVE 4x4

It's supposed to be a non-interference engine in the Quest/Villager, unlike the "regular Nissan" VG engines. Even in the VG engines with the interference, I have had timing belts break and not damage the valves, but they have on some other engines. I think a lot has to do with how fast the engine was spinning when it jumped timing. What I would do is put the timing belt on with the lower cover and crank pulley and tighten the crank bolt. At that point, start the engine and see if it starts and runs okay (it is ok if there is no coolant in the engine as the engine will only be running about 30 seconds). If it runs okay, then the rest of the front of the engine can be put back together. The only way you are going to be sure if the engine is okay is to get the cams and crank in-sync and put a new belt on it. I would say it's worth the gamble. BTW, if the engine starts and runs rough with misfiring, I would be concerned and would look into it further before putting it all back together just to be on the safe side.
Old 07-12-2016, 03:35 AM
1995 Quest

Default Thanks for yuor timly reply.

I will give it a shot hopefully the engine will be OK. I was not driving it when it broke so i do not know how fast they were going
Old 07-13-2016, 03:25 AM
Master Enthusiast
2006 Pathfinder
2003 Frontier King Cab
2003 Frontier KC SVE 4x4

Most of the time, you'll find the teeth stripped off the belt at the crank sprocket. I usually go to Rockauto.com and get the Gates Timing belt Component Kit w/ Water pump, Bando accessory drive belts, Nissan thermostat and Nissan front cam and front crank seals. The Gates kit is of very good quality and well priced. If I'm going to take it all apart, I'll change everything while I'm in there because the timing belt won't be due for another 105,000 miles.

Last edited by smj999smj; 07-13-2016 at 03:30 AM.
Old 07-13-2016, 06:27 AM
1995 Quest

Default Thanks for yuor timly reply.

The thermostat has been replaced just before the belt broke....it was replaced when I blew the head gaskets,,,and actually this van now has A bolt broken off in the exhaust manifold (REAR HEAD) the one next to the fire wall..and I am done with it..not pulling the head again to get a broken off bolt off. It has well over 3000,000 miles on it.just trying to get it running so my wife will not be QUITE so pissed off at me!

Just need to get it running so my grandson (WHo moved in with us) will not have an excuse for not looking for a job and I can toss his LAZY butt out of my home.

Tags
1995, mercury, nissan, quest, villager