Login  |  Register
Nissanhelp.com - All About Nissan
Do-It-Yourself Maintenance Owners Manuals Recalls/Campaigns Service Bulletins Service Manuals Nissan OBDII Codes Glossary & Acronyms More...
Member's Ride Photos Stock Photo Gallery
Classifieds - For Sale Classifieds - Wanted To Buy Classifieds - Mechanic Wanted Classifieds - Auto Services Search Auto Parts
Register FAQ Social Groups Mark Forums Read
Crank - no start, 1999 Quest SE, I think- Forums > > Crank - no start, 1999 Quest SE, I think- Crank - no start, 1999 Quest SE, I think-
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Quest Nissan Quest Discussion Forum

Old 11-20-2014, 04:28 AM
1999 Quest

Default Crank - no start, 1999 Quest SE, I think-

Drove my 1999 Quest yesterday evening, got gas at "the regular" station, parked. Absolutely no indications of problems.

This morning went to start: Cranks fine but will not catch. (I gues now I have an indication of a problem).

- I did put about 7 gallons in on a low tank just prior to coming home and parking.
- Yesterday was in the 40's to 50's, overnite it is in the 20's
(pointing those out for obvious reasons)

So presently I am suspecting that either debris entered/was stirred up with the addition of fuel, or that I have some water blockage from the freeze somewhere and am best to wait until the darned day is above freezing for at least an hour or two, then try, but if still no start, I would be lost as to what next other than fuse check, spark test (improbable reason as it ran, I parked, it didn't run), spray some starter fluid in if I can figure out how and see if it catches.

What might I be missing and I beg for all corrections.modifications to that which I am thinking here!

Many thanks; kind of upsetting to get up at 5:00am expecting to go to work but the van has different ideas...
Old 11-20-2014, 10:35 AM
Master Enthusiast
2006 Pathfinder
2003 Frontier King Cab
2003 Frontier KC SVE 4x4

Could be anything (you forgot to mention possibility of a broken timing belt). You need to start doing the diagnostics. You could spray carb cleaner or starting fluid into the engine and see if the engine fires. If it does, this would put you in the direction of a fuel issue. If it doesn't, check for spark. If there is no spark, remove the distributor cap and see if the rotor turns while the engine is cranking. If it doesn't turn, it's likely the timing belt broke. If it does turn, then you'll need to do further diagnostics to find out why there is no spark. Of course, check your fuses and do a visual inspection to see if something obvious can be found.
Old 11-21-2014, 01:50 AM
2019 Sentra
2002 Altima

Quote:
Originally Posted by brucemc777 View Post
Drove my 1999 Quest yesterday evening, got gas at "the regular" station, parked. Absolutely no indications of problems.

This morning went to start: Cranks fine but will not catch. (I gues now I have an indication of a problem).
I've been watching the national weather report and east coast, Midwest, and other places hit by the Bomb storm.

Freezing temp. is brutal for the battery, so if it is older have it checked. It is very early winter storm so I'm not even sure if refineries started shipping winter fuel.

Tags
1999, crank, quest, start