Login  |  Register
Nissanhelp.com - All About Nissan
Do-It-Yourself Maintenance Owners Manuals Recalls/Campaigns Service Bulletins Service Manuals Nissan OBDII Codes Glossary & Acronyms More...
Member's Ride Photos Stock Photo Gallery
Classifieds - For Sale Classifieds - Wanted To Buy Classifieds - Mechanic Wanted Classifieds - Auto Services Search Auto Parts
Register FAQ Social Groups Mark Forums Read
Van with a curse Forums > > Van with a curse Van with a curse
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Quest Nissan Quest Discussion Forum

Old 08-21-2013, 03:30 PM
2000 Quest

Question Van with a curse

First off, I am a Subaru mechanic (actually I own a Subaru shop) and know nothing specific about Nissans. Vehicle in question is actually a Mercury Villager (I know that affects the electronics because my scan tool would not communicate with the Villager PCM until I got a Ford Cartridge.) Anyway, vehicle came in because I was asked to fix it by a church.

Ran OK but had usual fuel shortage symptoms and codes for random misfire and knock sensor. (All I have for this kind of vehicle is a brick.)

Replaced fuel pump and filter. Ran beautifully but on the test drive started to overheat. Bad coolant leak. Removed top intake, replaced freeze plug, sealed the leak between the pump and the thermostat housing, then, one at a time all the hoses as they developed leaks. Would not hold vacuum when using Airlift, but would hold pressure forever. Eventually just filled the cooling system and it quit overheating.

However, it would then run only up to 2K rpm then cough and sputter and refuse to accelerate further. At that point, bank one STFT was +25. LTFT was 0. Put injector cleaner in it and ran it for about 10 minutes. Stalled and will not re-start.

BTW I googled Mercury Villager and it brought me to this forum. Sorry.

Does anyone have any ideas?
Old 08-22-2013, 02:42 PM
G47

do you have any codes on the car now?
Old 08-22-2013, 02:46 PM
G47

check/replace spark plugs. check the distributor. you may have to replace the cap, rotor and wires
Old 08-22-2013, 02:52 PM
G47

also you can clean the MAF sensor. if nothing helps you can check compression

dont worry about the knock sensor code that is set off by the misfire.

Tags
curse, erratic problems, van