Login  |  Register
Nissanhelp.com - All About Nissan
Do-It-Yourself Maintenance Owners Manuals Recalls/Campaigns Service Bulletins Service Manuals Nissan OBDII Codes Glossary & Acronyms More...
Member's Ride Photos Stock Photo Gallery
Classifieds - For Sale Classifieds - Wanted To Buy Classifieds - Mechanic Wanted Classifieds - Auto Services Search Auto Parts
Register FAQ Social Groups Mark Forums Read
Front airconditoner blower question Forums > > Front airconditoner blower question Front airconditoner blower question
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Quest Nissan Quest Discussion Forum

Old 04-15-2013, 09:00 AM
1999 Quest
1999 Quest

Default Front airconditoner blower question

I have a '99 Nissan Quest that I just noticed something unusual with. The A/C blower only seems to blow out air when it is on the highest setting. When on setting #1,2 &3, it does not seem to do anything, but when turned all the way up to #4, it blasts cold air great. I can't run the air like that though, as it dries out my eyes badly and is actually too cold.

Is this likely just a blown fuse that needs replacing or is there something else to check? I removed the door with the fuse grid on it, but I have not pulled anyting just yet. I was searching for my fuse puller, as I don't have a lot of finger strength and my old mitts are big, plus I am generally all thumbs anyway. :-)

Seriously though, is it likely just a blown front fuse?

Fuse location grid by coupe1942, on Flickr

Controlling the A/C by coupe1942, on Flickr

A/C controls by coupe1942, on Flickr
Old 04-15-2013, 06:43 PM
Super Moderator
2004 Xterra

Usually the problem is the "Blower Motor Resistor"

Front airconditoner blower question-capture-png
Attached Thumbnails
Front airconditoner blower question-capture-png  
Old 04-18-2013, 10:59 AM
1999 Quest
1999 Quest

When I viewed things beneath the dash, it does not necessarily look exactly like the above pic. I tried to shoot a couple of pics while checking it all out, but I have arthritis pretty bad in my knees and getting down there today was just not going to happen for me, as the rain and cold weather outside made bending a real chore. Any rate, is the part that is identified by arrow in my pics the blower motor resistor that needs to be changed out? Thanks. I believe this is likely the part, but just checking before removing anything. That is one cramped area to get to for me.

Blower resistor for A/C by coupe1942, on Flickr

Blower motor and parts by coupe1942, on Flickr
Old 04-21-2013, 12:51 AM
1999 Quest
1999 Quest

I will be working on changing this out tomorrow. I am not quite sure just how I will get my body contorted to work in this area, as it is really a tight space and my seat does not really go back all that far to help make it easier to get to. I sure hope it does not give me grief in replacing it. My arthritis does not help when I have to work in cramped spaces.
Old 04-21-2013, 12:37 PM
Super Moderator
2004 Xterra

Thank you for the pictures and information! I hope you can find some one to do it for you.
Old 04-21-2013, 07:42 PM
1999 Quest
1999 Quest

I got the part ordered at my local AutoZone. Had them check the part twice and they told me it was correct, but I didn't have the stock piece removed at that time to compare it to. They gave me an AJ1204 part and it was wrong. I did manage to get the two screws out today and of course, the part was wrong to replace it with. Man, that is no fun to work in such a tight area like that, for sure. Any rate, it took all of 5 minutes to remove it and i suspect putting it back will be about the same amount of time, when I get the correct part. I'll go back in the morning to try to locate the correct part. Here are some pics:

View of front of resistor by coupe1942, on Flickr

My blower motor resistor for '99 Nissan Quest by coupe1942, on Flickr

Blower motor resistor by coupe1942, on Flickr

Front of resistor by coupe1942, on Flickr

Top view of blower motor resistor by coupe1942, on Flickr

Resistor for '99 Nissan Quest by coupe1942, on Flickr

This was the part they gave me:

Wrong part for blower motor by coupe1942, on Flickr

JA 1204 is the wrong part by coupe1942, on Flickr

Hopefully I can get the correct part and put it all back together tomorrow. Life is good if I can. :-)
Old 04-21-2013, 11:47 PM
1999 Quest
1999 Quest

I am obviously confused by the two different parts shown above. when I look up blower motor resistor for the 1999 Nissan Quest online, I frequently see the second item shown as being the correct one for that model. Am I naming the part incorrectly or something, as there is no way that second part would fit into the same hole as what I pulled out does? It is a head scratcher for me, but I'll take both parts in to be looked at and try to get the correct part today. Just trying to figure out if it was just me or if I had somehow used the wrong name for the part and this one goes somewhere else on the system. The part was ordered as JA1399, but it lists for a 2000-2002 model and not the '99 model. It looks close to what I have pulled out from the car and when it comes in later, I'll see a bit better if it works or not. It has not come in just yet though.

JA1399 blower motor resistor from AutoZone by coupe1942, on Flickr

JA1399 part by coupe1942, on Flickr

The JA1399 part by coupe1942, on Flickr

It is indeed confusing, but may be something that the manufacturer changed production of on some '99 models for some reason. Compare the last photos to the one of my resistor above and you will see they are similar, but not 100% the same.

Last edited by coupe1942; 04-22-2013 at 12:23 PM.
Old 04-22-2013, 03:14 PM
1999 Quest
1999 Quest

Replacing Blower Motor Resistor on 1999 Nissan Quest - YouTube

If this loads, it is a video of what I ran into in changing out the blower motor resistor on my 1999 Nissan Quest. The lighting was very poor and my had was shaking a bit as I filmed this, but I believe it is enough to explain things okay.

Well, I can't seem to link it quite correct, but double clik on the above and it will work.

Last edited by coupe1942; 04-22-2013 at 03:16 PM.

Tags
airconditoner, blower, front, question