Login  |  Register
Nissanhelp.com - All About Nissan
Do-It-Yourself Maintenance Owners Manuals Recalls/Campaigns Service Bulletins Service Manuals Nissan OBDII Codes Glossary & Acronyms More...
Member's Ride Photos Stock Photo Gallery
Classifieds - For Sale Classifieds - Wanted To Buy Classifieds - Mechanic Wanted Classifieds - Auto Services Search Auto Parts
Register FAQ Social Groups Mark Forums Read
2007 Nissan Quest Forums > > 2007 Nissan Quest 2007 Nissan Quest
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Quest Nissan Quest Discussion Forum

Old 11-30-2012, 07:22 AM
2007 Quest

Default 2007 Nissan Quest

Good morning. Thanks in advance for any advice you can give. I have a couple questions. First, I have what I initially thought was an oil leak at the hose running to the round piece the filter attaches to. It appears that the fluid is actually coming from above, pooling on the power steering hose and dripping down. Are these hoses prone to failure or is this an indication that the pump is bad? I cannot tell by looking at it without taking it apart.
My second question is about the lower passenger side control arm. The rearmost piece that holds the control arm to the body is bent and needs replacing. (It resembles a ball joint and is held on with two bolts) The Nissan dealer I called said I had to get the entire control arm, which I am assuming is true???? I would like to know if this is a job that a moderately mechanical person can do on their own, or does everything (strut/spring) have to be compressed?
Again, thanks for any help you can give.
Old 12-02-2012, 11:25 AM
Master Enthusiast
2006 Pathfinder
2003 Frontier King Cab
2003 Frontier KC SVE 4x4

I believe you are referring to the oil cooler, which is what the oil filter screws on to; it has two hoses going to it. A common failure on these is the "O" ring, Nissan P/N: 21304-JA11A. Dorman recently started offering these seals on the aftermarket, as well. Refer to part code "21304" in the parts diagram link below:

Part Detail

As far as the control arm, if you have basic mechanical skills and wrenches/sockets big enough for the nuts and bolts on the control arm, it isn't that bad. You do not have to do anything with the strut. Unbolt the sway bar from the control arm, remove the nut and cotter pin from the ball joint and seperate it from the knuckle, remove the control arm attaching bolts and nuts and reverse to install. A wheel alignment should be done afterwards. Dorman makes a lot of control arms, as well, and it might be a good deal less expensive than the OEM part. Trying looking it up on Rockauto.com.
Old 12-02-2012, 07:42 PM
2007 Quest

Thank you very much for the information. I'll replace the O-rings you told me about just on general principles. The vehicle has 140k miles so they're probably bad either way. It does seem to be leaking power steering fluid also. I topped it off and it has already shown a slight decline in two days. In general it does not use a lot of oil between changes, about a half quart.
You have definitely relieved my mind on the control arm. As long as I don't have to mess with the strut or spring I can handle it. I'm guessing you would advise me to get a new control arm as opposed to one from a yard?

Again, thanks for taking the time to reply. You have helped a lot. Have a good day!
Old 12-10-2012, 04:18 PM
2007 Quest

Default Three O-rings?

I bought the O-ring for the oil cooler and there were three in the pack. Does it require all three? I don't want to get it apart and find out I have the wrong part. Thanks!

Tags
2007, nissan, quest