Login  |  Register
Nissanhelp.com - All About Nissan
Do-It-Yourself Maintenance Owners Manuals Recalls/Campaigns Service Bulletins Service Manuals Nissan OBDII Codes Glossary & Acronyms More...
Member's Ride Photos Stock Photo Gallery
Classifieds - For Sale Classifieds - Wanted To Buy Classifieds - Mechanic Wanted Classifieds - Auto Services Search Auto Parts
Register FAQ Social Groups Mark Forums Read
Replaced radio, van hesitates to start Forums > > Replaced radio, van hesitates to start Replaced radio, van hesitates to start
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Quest Nissan Quest Discussion Forum

Old 07-14-2012, 06:35 PM
Tech Enthusiast
2004 Quest
2004 Quest

Default Replaced radio, van hesitates to start

I replaced the radio/CD in my 2004 Quest S with a refurbished radio. Everything went fine although the console is a SOB to deal with.

When everything was back together, I started up the vehicle with no problem. I let it run for a few minutes while I reset the radio presets and car settings. I came back 15 minutes later to take a test drive around the block to make sure the radio worked once in gear and the van started but shut off like it wasn't getting gas. I hooked up my code reader and there was no codes. I tried it again but gave it gas and it stayed on. I drove it around for about 20 minutes and all seemed OK.

I had the battery disconnected for about 3 hours installing the new radio.

Could having the battery disconnected for that long cause the issues I'm having with starting the van?

thanks
Old 07-15-2012, 06:45 AM
2005 Quest

Unless you are experiencing a constant starting issue, I'd say this is just a fluke occurance. By disconnecting the battery for that long, you reset the computer, so it needs to possibly relearn everything.

Did you replace the radio with a refurbished stock unit? Just curious, because I want to install an aftermarket unit and am in the process of ripping the console out.
Old 07-16-2012, 06:59 AM
Tech Enthusiast
2004 Quest
2004 Quest

It's still experiencing the starting issue. You have to rev the engine to get it to continue running. It drives fine afterwards. I'm wondering if it has to do with security system. It feels like it's not getting fuel as opposed to not turning over.

Yes, it is a refurbished stock unit. I bought it off EBay from a company in California. It's amazing how many people with this era Quest are having problems with the stock radios cutting out. I went to the dealership and they wanted over $1300 for a new radio. Even the parts manager said he would check a junkyard first before paying that kind of money.

The last few months with this van has convinced to accelerate my plans to purchase a new minivan.
Old 07-19-2012, 08:45 AM
Tech Enthusiast
2004 Quest
2004 Quest

After 5 days, the "Service Engine Soon" Light finally came on. The code was P0442, Small Evaporator Leak.

Can anyone offer any help? Thanks in advance.

Tags
hesitates, radio, replaced, start, van