Login  |  Register
Nissanhelp.com - All About Nissan
Do-It-Yourself Maintenance Owners Manuals Recalls/Campaigns Service Bulletins Service Manuals Nissan OBDII Codes Glossary & Acronyms More...
Member's Ride Photos Stock Photo Gallery
Classifieds - For Sale Classifieds - Wanted To Buy Classifieds - Mechanic Wanted Classifieds - Auto Services Search Auto Parts
Register FAQ Social Groups Mark Forums Read
ABS, SLIP and TCS OFF lights are constantly on. Where to start looking? Forums > > ABS, SLIP and TCS OFF lights are constantly on. Where to start looking? ABS, SLIP and TCS OFF lights are constantly on. Where to start looking?
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Quest Nissan Quest Discussion Forum

Old 09-20-2011, 08:12 PM
Enthusiast
2005 Quest

Default ABS, SLIP and TCS OFF lights are constantly on. Where to start looking?

Need your help on this one guys...Since today 3 lights stay on: ABS, SLIP and TCS OFF. Any ideas about possible causes and where to start looking is appreciated. Van drives just fine. 80K, 2005 basic quest.
Old 09-21-2011, 09:50 AM
Super Moderator
2004 Xterra

Start by inspecting the tires, all the tires diameter should be almost the same. If you have two new tires and two old one, that will do it.

Also check the brake fluid level and brake pads. If all it OK, you may have to have the dealer or any one with an special scanner to check for codes.
Old 09-21-2011, 12:16 PM
Enthusiast
2005 Quest

Thank you. I'll inspect everything tonight when wife comes from work.

What about a wheel sensor? If it's damaged can it be the culprit for these 3 lights?
Old 09-21-2011, 07:01 PM
Super Moderator
2004 Xterra

Quote:
What about a wheel sensor? If it's damaged can it be the culprit for these 3 lights?
Yes, but the problem is finding which sensor is the bad one, that's why you need the code.
Old 09-26-2011, 11:31 AM
Enthusiast
2005 Quest

Checked the brake pads today, they are worn out: 2.5mm left on the front and 2 mm on the rear.

So I guess that's the reason for the lights. However, I'm curious, how does the system detect the worn out pads?. There are no brake pads wear sensor embedded in the pads. Does the wheel sensor monitor the thickness of the pads??
Old 10-06-2011, 07:35 PM
Enthusiast
2005 Quest

OK, installed new rotors and new pads. Tires are good. The lights are still on, which I kinda expected. Now what? I guess it's time to go to the stealership to have the ABS module codes read. My guess it's one of the sensors...

NissanTech, how much do they usually charge for this at your place?
Old 10-10-2011, 10:43 AM
Tech Enthusiast
2004 Quest
2004 Quest

My guess is the dealership will charge $75-$90 to read the code and diagnose the problem. You can try an auto parts store to see if they can read the code for free. But I'm not sure if their machines can read these codes.
Old 10-29-2011, 05:26 PM
Enthusiast
2005 Quest

Update: the problem has been diagnosed as a bad ABS actuator. The code C1111 was retrieved. Part cost is $1000, labor $800. Thanks, but no thanks. I have brakes. Later will try to source a used pump and replace it. Not sure though if I will be able to bleed the system properly without hooking the van up to the computer and activating the pump...
Old 11-11-2011, 11:11 AM
Opticz 636`

im having the same problem, just bought an 04 se with skyview package and the abs, tpms, slip, and vcs lights are on. is the abs actuator the culprit for all of these lights?
if it is, would removing the ABS system fix the problem with other lights?
Would anyone know if the lower models came without abs and what parts i would need to convert?
i remember when i had my accord there was a how to on a forum that i am a member of.
i deleted the abs all together (becasue i cant stand it).
Old 07-07-2014, 09:01 PM
Enthusiast
2005 Quest

Thumbs up Update

That is really bizarre. 3 years later...after driving for 3 frigging years with ABS, SLIP and TCS off lights today I did something that turned those lights off and ABS system works again...

First I changed brake fluid in the front brakes only, basically bled the front brakes with new fluid using my Motive pressure bleeder. After that I took off my brake pads and cleaned them really well with a file and brake cleaner. Then I cleaned the rotors really well with brake cleaner. Put everything together and drove the car all day. NO LIGHTS. ABS works again too. That's crazy...

If you wondered why I did what i did, the answer is I have been chasing the vibrating at the steering wheel while braking. I changed brake pads and rotors a year ago and it helped a lot. A year later it started again. I thought "I'm not going to change rotors and pads again a year later." So I decided to clean everything really well and bleed the brakes.

The vibration is not 100% gone, but it feels at least 80% better. So, im happy with that. And apparently it helped my ABS actuator problem!! Double happy.
Old 11-07-2014, 07:23 PM
Enthusiast
2005 Quest

Update. The lights came back on after a day or two. That flushing did not help anything. Was just a coincidence
Old 11-10-2014, 10:01 AM
Tech Enthusiast
2004 Quest
2004 Quest

1) Check the pressure in your tires to make sure they are all the same. Remember cold pressure is 35 psi.
2) Check wear on the tires. Worn tires can cause this issue.
3) Have a mechanic check your brake sensors. You could have a loose connection.
4) then have your ABS Actuator checked.

Regarding the vibration, check your rear brakes. The 2004-05 Quest rear brakes were smallish and wear quickly. If you do a bunch of city/stop & go driving, they can wear in a year.

Good Luck.
Old 12-02-2014, 05:57 AM
Enthusiast
2004 Quest
2004 Quest SL

My '04 Quest SL had the SLIP & TCS off lights illuminated a while back and it ended up being the crankshaft position sensor....ever notice any intermittent sluggish performance immediately after startup that is remedied by shutting off & re-starting?
Old 12-02-2014, 02:25 PM
G47

Quote:
Originally Posted by scubacamper View Post
My '04 Quest SL had the SLIP & TCS off lights illuminated a while back and it ended up being the crankshaft position sensor....ever notice any intermittent sluggish performance immediately after startup that is remedied by shutting off & re-starting?

if the sensor is not reading the crankshaft gears correctly it will mess up the timing of spark and fuel that is why it runs "sluggish"

and restart the car can get the crankshaft position to work correctly for some time, the sensor is not bad 100% of the time, just sometimes.
Old 01-22-2015, 05:22 AM
2005 Quest

I have a bad wheel bearing on the passenger side(parts ordered) and it seems to have messed up the ABS system. Every time the brakes are applied the ABS activate which makes braking uncomfortable to say the least. Yesterday the ABS, Slip and Tcs lights came on a couple times. I am hoping its just the play in the wheel bearing causing this and its not more problems.

Tags
abs, constantly, lights, slip, start, tcs