Login  |  Register
Nissanhelp.com - All About Nissan
Do-It-Yourself Maintenance Owners Manuals Recalls/Campaigns Service Bulletins Service Manuals Nissan OBDII Codes Glossary & Acronyms More...
Member's Ride Photos Stock Photo Gallery
Classifieds - For Sale Classifieds - Wanted To Buy Classifieds - Mechanic Wanted Classifieds - Auto Services Search Auto Parts
Register FAQ Social Groups Mark Forums Read
getting the intake manifold off Forums > > getting the intake manifold off getting the intake manifold off
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Quest Nissan Quest Discussion Forum

Old 02-11-2011, 06:38 AM
brantbingamon

Default getting the intake manifold off

Hi, I have a question that I hope someone can help with: I'm taking off the lower intake manifold on my 2000 Nissan Quest. I loosened (or tried to) the bolts in the proper sequence. The first and second put up a lot of resistance. The first I have loosened to the point that it's up beyond where the threads meet the head, but the bolt is just spinning now and I haven't been able to pull it up with pliers. The second bolt broke off immediately. The rest were much more reasonable and came up with no trouble.

I've removed all the various things I was supposed to remove to get the manifold up, except for the coolant bypass tube but there should be some play there because it's connected to a rubber hose. I've left it connected because there's a bolt in an inaccessible spot and I thought I would bring up the manifold and then remove it. But the problem is the manifold won't budge.

It should though. I'm assuming that even with the broken bolt and the other bolt being an inch up from the manifold, the manifold would come up some--the bolts don't thread onto the manifold itself so it should ride up the posts. I've hit it with a mallet and pried gently on it but I'm afraid to really go after it in case there's something else connecting it that I haven't destroyed yet.

Can anyone help me with this? Any thanks would be greatly appreciated!
Old 12-31-2011, 02:18 PM
1999 Maxima
1999 Quest

having the exact problem but there is no help in any forums with nissan quest. Have had 6 nissans so far and after the Quest have had all my family and friends stay away from Nissan. The manifold would not budge. I think Ford used some sort of paste with the lower manifold gaskets. Had four mechanics tried to take the lower intake manifold from the head and no results. This is the problem when Ford gets involved with anything. All eight bolts that secure the lower intake from the head are out and would not budge. Lifting the manifold also lifts the vehicle completely. I don't think that the gasket would fuse that much to the head that it would not give way.

Last edited by mahendra purai; 12-31-2011 at 02:22 PM.
Old 12-31-2011, 02:36 PM
2015 Rogue

There is a bolt that goes through the timing cover into the lower intake manifold
ASE Master Certified.
Old 12-31-2011, 08:04 PM
1999 Maxima
1999 Quest

Thanks for the reply. Just went out and looked at it 12.00a.m. Happy New Year!!! There is only one huge bolt just above the water pump that attaches to the cylinder head which is below where the cylinder head separates from the lower manifold. I also had other mechanics tried to take it off with no results. One tech online refers that due to overheating and poor antifreeze will cause rust and thus cause it to seize. He advises to take a 2 x 4 and hammer onto the wood to make it release. I'm trying to get to the inner thermostat housing which lies under the lower manifold and attaches to the two water pipes. By the way, looking from the top of the timing cover area, all is clear with no bolts around. Been trying for 2 1/2 weeks soaking these lower intake bolts with pb balster, liquid wrench and wd 40 to no end.
Please note that from day one I've personally driven this vehicle with 81K miles now and has never had any heating problems and coolant was changed every two years; until the original thermostat only gave heat at 2K rpm. Careful look at the thermostat (original) identified the problem in that a piece of silicone gasket got stuck in the thermostat not allowing it to close properly.

Last edited by mahendra purai; 12-31-2011 at 08:10 PM.
Old 01-01-2012, 03:20 AM
2015 Rogue

Quote:
Originally Posted by mahendra purai View Post
Thanks for the reply. Just went out and looked at it 12.00a.m. Happy New Year!!! There is only one huge bolt just above the water pump that attaches to the cylinder head which is below where the cylinder head separates from the lower manifold. I also had other mechanics tried to take it off with no results. One tech online refers that due to overheating and poor antifreeze will cause rust and thus cause it to seize. He advises to take a 2 x 4 and hammer onto the wood to make it release. I'm trying to get to the inner thermostat housing which lies under the lower manifold and attaches to the two water pipes. By the way, looking from the top of the timing cover area, all is clear with no bolts around. Been trying for 2 1/2 weeks soaking these lower intake bolts with pb balster, liquid wrench and wd 40 to no end.
Please note that from day one I've personally driven this vehicle with 81K miles now and has never had any heating problems and coolant was changed every two years; until the original thermostat only gave heat at 2K rpm. Careful look at the thermostat (original) identified the problem in that a piece of silicone gasket got stuck in the thermostat not allowing it to close properly.
The bolt is very hard to see and usually requires the removal of other components to access it.
Old 01-01-2012, 04:36 AM
1999 Maxima
1999 Quest

Will take a careful look together with an auto mechanic today. Thanks for the help - will let you know how it goes.
Old 01-01-2012, 05:32 AM
2015 Rogue

Attached Thumbnails
getting the intake manifold off-2012-01-01_09-24-58_181-jpg  
Old 01-01-2012, 07:06 AM
1999 Maxima
1999 Quest

getting the intake manifold off-img_20120101_093311-jpg
This is the only bolt that was not taken out due to the fact that it is bolted into the cyl head below the lower intake. The inlet pipe was already taken off and the whole area is completely cleared of any bolts or screws. To be more precise, it secures the pulley bracket onto the cyl.

Last edited by mahendra purai; 01-01-2012 at 07:12 AM.
Old 01-01-2012, 07:19 AM
1999 Maxima
1999 Quest

getting the intake manifold off-img_20120101_103105-jpg
Old 01-01-2012, 07:52 AM
2015 Rogue

Quote:
Yep you definately got it out.
Old 01-01-2012, 08:38 AM
1999 Maxima
1999 Quest

there should be no way that the manifold cannot separate from the head. Just tried again and nothing. Could be that the gasket was attached with some sort of paste??
Old 01-01-2012, 09:02 AM
2015 Rogue

Quote:
there should be no way that the manifold cannot separate from the head. Just tried again and nothing. Could be that the gasket was attached with some sort of paste??
My guess is corrosion. Sometimes you have to hit it with a rubber mallet to break it free.
Old 01-01-2012, 09:07 AM
1999 Maxima
1999 Quest

thanks guy - have been hitting this thing for two and a half weeks now. Soaking with different rust free agents and even used a rubber mallet (destroyed three mallets so far); have used a piece of 2 x 4 and hammered with short sledge with no results. What I always noticed is that there is always water filled in the spark plugs area when it rains. I just noticed a pool of water logged in the area of the knock sensor above the block. Is this usual?
Old 01-02-2012, 02:12 PM
1999 Maxima
1999 Quest

Finally got the lower intake manifold out today. Drilled two holes around the studs from where the manifold is supposed to lift. Soaked with pb blaster and with another help got it loosened. While drilling, found that all the debris coming out were of a material that resembles grey plastic. So I guess Ford/Nissan used some sort of epoxy when dropping the manifold onto the cylinder heads.
Old 03-29-2012, 11:01 AM
2000 Xterra

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpe235 View Post
omg thank you, I never would have found this.

Tags
intake, manifold