Login  |  Register
Nissanhelp.com - All About Nissan
Do-It-Yourself Maintenance Owners Manuals Recalls/Campaigns Service Bulletins Service Manuals Nissan OBDII Codes Glossary & Acronyms More...
Member's Ride Photos Stock Photo Gallery
Classifieds - For Sale Classifieds - Wanted To Buy Classifieds - Mechanic Wanted Classifieds - Auto Services Search Auto Parts
Register FAQ Social Groups Mark Forums Read
location of sounder for Sonar system Forums > > location of sounder for Sonar system location of sounder for Sonar system
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Quest Nissan Quest Discussion Forum

Old 08-14-2008, 05:40 PM
Dan Lind

Default location of sounder for Sonar system

The title about sume it up. Is there a Quest (2004) expert out there who can tell me where the beeper (Nissan calls it a buzzer) is located inside the cab of the quest (and how to reach it) ? Mine's bad, I already have the new one ... but I've looked all over the bulkhead on the driver side and can't find it.
Old 08-14-2008, 06:46 PM
Super Moderator
2004 Xterra

Under the combination meter.
Attached Thumbnails
location of sounder for Sonar system-figure4-gif  
Old 08-15-2008, 07:44 PM
Dan Lind

Thumbs up Speedometer cluster removal

I am amazed at how much you and others like yourself know. Can you point me to the manual or tell me how I can remove the

Looks like I'll need to remove the combination meter (speedometer cluster) from my 04 quest to replace the sonor buzzer (apparently mounted under the speedometer) which is being fingered by diagnostics as bad. Can you point me to instructions (or provide advise) for removing or raising from the top of the dash so I can gain access to the buzzer?

Alternatively if I could locate the wire pair feeding the buzzer I could cut and splice a new one in an easier to reach location.
Old 08-17-2008, 10:13 AM
Enthusiast
2005 Altima
2007 Versa
2007 versa

Dont cut and splice. Its not that hard. Should take 30 minutes at the most.
Old 08-20-2008, 06:53 PM
Dan Lind

Default How to replace the Sonar beeper

Hello again. I experimented and eventually found out how to access my sonar 'buzzer' for replacement! Our dealer wasn't able to find the problem. To his credit he told us that, and estimated completing the repair at 2000.00

Repair by me completed for 65.00 , 4 hours labor, and some good advice from smart people on this site!

Also ..being an electonics type guy, I recognized the 65.00 part as a 1.00 16 ohm speaker in a 1.00 plastic snap together housing. I could have ordered the speaker from Jameco for 1.00 ! (But I had already purchaed the new one so se-la-vie.

Nistec was right, it was easy. I never got info on how to get to the buzzer
though, so I thought I'd fill in the blank for the next guy.

To access the buzzer you have to remove speedometer/NAV cluster on top of the dash (a.k.a. the combination meter). This turned out to be a scary prying job. The cluster is actually snapped into the dash with little "Fahnstock" clips similar to the ones used to anchor door panels in place. These point down and are snap into the dash. To remove the combo meter you must first put some rubber tape in front of the shroud to avoid scratching the dash top. firmly lift upwards on the inside top right edge of the shroud with your right hand. You'll see a little gap appear at the bottom of the shroud where it meets the dash. Slide a stiff paint scraper in there with your left hand and gently pry up. You will begin to feel the spring clips loosen as you work your way to the left. There are three more in the top rear around the center speaker grill (part of the shroud assembly, but they are easy after you have the frount shrouhd lose.

Once you have the shroud removed, look for 4 black phillips head screws holding the metal "instrument carrige" onto the dash. Remove the 4 screws (no butter fingers oryou'll be screw fishing all day!)

The buzzer is indeed on teh bottom of the speedometer and there are two little retainers you must work off of (2) plastic posts. Then .... out it comes !

I'm selling my (fantastic) Quest, so I won't be on the site much longer ... but Good luck to you all, and if I can assist anyone with this operation in the future, my email is [email protected]
Old 08-21-2008, 12:30 PM
Super Moderator
2004 Xterra

Thank you for the information, sorry we couldn't get to your question earlier, too busy.
Old 03-04-2010, 05:52 AM
ssaleem

NissanTech: Is this diagram the same for 06 quest as well? Can see the clips toward the bottom of the meter but I don't see anything toward the top rear of the meter. I don't even see a grove along the sides so I don't know how it actually comes off? Should I pull it straight up once those botoom three snaps are off?

Tags
backup, buzzer, location, sonar