Login  |  Register
Nissanhelp.com - All About Nissan
Do-It-Yourself Maintenance Owners Manuals Recalls/Campaigns Service Bulletins Service Manuals Nissan OBDII Codes Glossary & Acronyms More...
Member's Ride Photos Stock Photo Gallery
Classifieds - For Sale Classifieds - Wanted To Buy Classifieds - Mechanic Wanted Classifieds - Auto Services Search Auto Parts
Register FAQ Social Groups Mark Forums Read
Coolant Question Forums > > Coolant Question Coolant Question
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Quest Nissan Quest Discussion Forum

Old 09-28-2006, 06:13 AM
mrraffer

Default Coolant Question

I want to change the coolant in my 2005 Quest and have discovered that buying antifreeze is no longer a simple task.

The service manual says to use Nissan Long Life coolant or equivalent. I went to the dealer to buy it and the parts manager recommended that I simply buy aftermarket stuff as the Nissan coolant was something like $24 a gallon. He told me "as long as it is green you are OK".

I went to the auto parts store and discovered there are at least three different coolants sold. That store featured Zerex (Valvoline Ashland) products. One seemed to be for older American cars. It was nicknamed "Original". Then there was a product called "G-05" that seemed to be for newer American cars and some imports. I wound up buying the third choice which was called "Dex Cool". On the back label it says it is approved for Nissans after 1996. I noticed that the color of the cap is orange but wasn't sure what to make of that. I have not opened it yet.

I looked online and it would seem that indeed there is an orange coolant. Apparently, different manufacturers recommend different additives. The coolant was changed once by the dealer and they appear to have replaced it with a yellow-green coolant. I am concerned about whether to use the Dex Cool since it would appear to be orange...which goes against the advice of the parts guy at Nissan. I don't want to cause myself any problems for the $10-12 I might save not using the Nissan coolant. At the same time, I don't want to waste money. By the way, I happen to have 2 unopened gallons of older Prestone antifreeze (green) circa 2002. I was hesitant to use that in the Quest but now wonder if it might in fact be an appropriate choice.

Please advise.

Thank you.

Mike

:-)
Old 09-28-2006, 08:44 AM
Super Moderator
2004 Xterra

Hello

I'm not familiar with Dex-Cool, but why are you replacing the coolant? The maintenance schedule for coolant is 4 years/60,000 miles. Do you have more the 60K?
Old 09-28-2006, 03:51 PM
Tech Enthusiast
2004 Frontier Crew Cab
2012 GTR
2004 s/c 4x4 frontier

do not use dex cool. it is the orange coolant the gm uses and can cause premature cooling system failures. but if you do use it be sure to get all of the other coolant out of the system because the two types of coolant do not mix.
Old 09-30-2006, 08:58 AM
mrraffer

Default Coolant Question

The vehicle has 62000 miles at present. (My GF has a scout troop and 16 year old daughter...need I say more?)

On the basis of what Andre has said, I don't want to mess with the Zerex Dex Cool. But what kind should I use? Should I go back to the dealer and get the Nissan coolant or is there an aftermarket brand/type that would be acceptable?

Thanks, guys.

Mike

Old 09-30-2006, 02:11 PM
2015 Rogue

We replace it with regular zerex antifreeze at our shop. Works well and we have never had any issues with it. Any standard green antifreeze will work. As far as brand they are all pretty much the same.
ASE Master Certified.
Old 10-04-2006, 04:45 AM
mrraffer

Default Coolant Question

Before I read the last post, I called the dealer who changed it the last time and asked what kind they used. He says they use the Nissan fluid. So rather than mix two different kinds of fluids knowing that I might not get it all out, I wound up going back to Nissan. (By the way, this is a second dealership, not the one that changed the fluid.)

He sold me a gallon of L248SP. P/N 999MP-AF000P. However, nowhere on the jug does it say "Long Life" although embedded in a paragraph of the back it says it "provides long lasting protection for aluminum, cast iron, and all other engine components". Says it is "nonsilicate type" and that it is "green fluid". Sounds like the right stuff but I just want to make sure since the words "Long Life" are nowhere to be found on the jug. I was not impressed with the knowledge of either of the guys working the parts counter on my two recent visits there.

Anyway, if you could let me know if that part number is right, I would appreciate it. Otherwise I'll take it back and ask for the right one.

Thanks.

Mike
Old 10-04-2006, 03:22 PM
Tech Enthusiast
2004 Frontier Crew Cab
2012 GTR
2004 s/c 4x4 frontier

zerex is what we use also. the nissan coolant is alittle pricey and most people go with something cheaper. i have never had a problem using other green type coolant that is not nissan. like mpe235 said i think using either the nissan coolant or other green type coolant will be ok.
Old 10-04-2006, 04:09 PM
2015 Rogue

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrraffer View Post
Before I read the last post, I called the dealer who changed it the last time and asked what kind they used. He says they use the Nissan fluid. So rather than mix two different kinds of fluids knowing that I might not get it all out, I wound up going back to Nissan. (By the way, this is a second dealership, not the one that changed the fluid.)

He sold me a gallon of L248SP. P/N 999MP-AF000P. However, nowhere on the jug does it say "Long Life" although embedded in a paragraph of the back it says it "provides long lasting protection for aluminum, cast iron, and all other engine components". Says it is "nonsilicate type" and that it is "green fluid". Sounds like the right stuff but I just want to make sure since the words "Long Life" are nowhere to be found on the jug. I was not impressed with the knowledge of either of the guys working the parts counter on my two recent visits there.

Anyway, if you could let me know if that part number is right, I would appreciate it. Otherwise I'll take it back and ask for the right one.

Thanks.

Mike
The 999mp-af00p is the right coolant. Nissan only uses one type.As far as mixing nissan coolant with other green coolants, I have had no problems.
Old 10-05-2006, 12:28 AM
mrraffer

Default Coolant Question

Thanks guys for the advice.

Mike

Old 08-03-2009, 05:40 PM
freude09

I was looking for Coolants and was wondering what's the best coolant for Sentra? mine's broken btw...
Old 08-04-2009, 07:05 PM
Tech Enthusiast
2004 Quest
2004 Quest

Prestone makes a Universal Extended Life Coolant that is compatible with all coolants. My mechanic uses this for all coolant changes, no matter what car.
Old 07-12-2012, 07:54 AM
2004 Sentra
2004 Sentra

Default John

2004 Sentra 1.8 ACCESS System appears to be empty of refrigerator. Request info about refrigerant type, leak check and refill procedures. Thank you... John [email protected]

Tags
coolant, question