Nissanhelp.com Forums

Nissanhelp.com Forums (https://x.nissanhelp.com/forums/)
-   Maxima (https://x.nissanhelp.com/forums/maxima/)
-   -   re-setting Service Engine Soon light (https://x.nissanhelp.com/forums/maxima/9754-re-setting-service-engine-soon-light.html)

murraygang 12-01-2008 06:45 PM

re-setting Service Engine Soon light

I changed an oxygen sensor and now want to turn off my Service Engine Soon light to see if it stays off. Autozone said just removing the negative battery wire for 15 minutes would do it. I left it off for about an hour. Started the car and the light is still on. Anyone know how to turn the light off? This is on a 2001 Maxima.

sergey85 12-01-2008 06:50 PM

unplug both of the connectors and leave it off for a few hours

murraygang 12-01-2008 07:11 PM

Will that just turn off the light or will it also reset the service engine codes? Do you know how to re-set the service engine codes?

sergey85 12-01-2008 07:36 PM

yeah that should take care of it

desert_fox 12-23-2008 06:10 AM

Spend a few bucks (under $100) and get yourself a scan tool at Walmarts. It will read the codes and allow you to reset them. When the code is reset, it also resets all of the Monitor Programs (i.e. Evap Control Monitor, EGR Monitor, etc.) which will rerun as run parameters are satisfied.

tech22 12-23-2008 12:12 PM

As per the service manual remove the neg.terminal for a period of 24hrs.

Steven Alswanger 01-04-2009 08:27 AM

reset service light

Thank you
going to Walmart for the scan tool at Walmarts.

steven

ramberg 01-10-2009 04:30 AM

Try this.

------ECU reset------
Timing is extremely critical. If it is NOT DONE within the specify time, the ECU will not reset and the Check Engine Light (CEL) will continue to remain ON.
A stop watch or an analog clock with a second’s needle will be useful.

Operations Procedures

1. Confirm that accelerator pedal is fully released, turn ignition switch “ON” and wait 3 seconds.
2. Repeat the following steps (2a and 2b) procedures quickly five times within 5 seconds.
2a. Fully depress the accelerator pedal (HARD).
2b. Fully release the accelerator pedal.
3. Wait 7 seconds, fully depress the accelerator pedal and keep it for approx. 10 seconds until the CEL starts blinking.
4. Fully release the accelerator pedal (while the CEL is still blinking)
5. Wait about 10 second.
6. Fully depress the accelerator pedal and keep it for more than 10 seconds.
7. Fully release the accelerator pedal (The CEL light will continue to blink).
8. Turn ignition switch to “OFF” position and now you can start the car. The CEL light should be gone.

If the CEL light continues to remain ON, repeat the above steps. Timing is EXTREMELY critical to resetting the ECU.

pjmistry9 04-20-2016 03:43 AM

CEL Reset Procedure WORKS

Quote:

Originally Posted by ramberg (Post 34500)
Try this.

------ECU reset------
Timing is extremely critical. If it is NOT DONE within the specify time, the ECU will not reset and the Check Engine Light (CEL) will continue to remain ON.
A stop watch or an analog clock with a second’s needle will be useful.

Operations Procedures

1. Confirm that accelerator pedal is fully released, turn ignition switch “ON” and wait 3 seconds.
2. Repeat the following steps (2a and 2b) procedures quickly five times within 5 seconds.
2a. Fully depress the accelerator pedal (HARD).
2b. Fully release the accelerator pedal.
3. Wait 7 seconds, fully depress the accelerator pedal and keep it for approx. 10 seconds until the CEL starts blinking.
4. Fully release the accelerator pedal (while the CEL is still blinking)
5. Wait about 10 second.
6. Fully depress the accelerator pedal and keep it for more than 10 seconds.
7. Fully release the accelerator pedal (The CEL light will continue to blink).
8. Turn ignition switch to “OFF” position and now you can start the car. The CEL light should be gone.

If the CEL light continues to remain ON, repeat the above steps. Timing is EXTREMELY critical to resetting the ECU.

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
This procedure works on my 2006 QUEST, thank you.

Chris_n_Cbus 12-29-2017 04:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pjmistry9 (Post 99063)
+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
This procedure works on my 2006 QUEST, thank you.

This procedure also worked on my 2011 Sentra (SR) 2.0 L. It took me about three times to get it right. So don't give up. Thanks!