Nissanhelp.com Forums

Nissanhelp.com Forums (https://x.nissanhelp.com/forums/)
-   Pathfinder (https://x.nissanhelp.com/forums/pathfinder/)
-   -   01 pathfinder with electrical ghost please advise (https://x.nissanhelp.com/forums/pathfinder/858-01-pathfinder-electrical-ghost-please-advise.html)

4ti2d 08-21-2006 04:40 AM

01 pathfinder with electrical ghost please advise

I just purchased an 01 pathfinder and have had assorted fuse issues. It appears that there has been body work done on the drivers rear. I am assuming that I need to take the taillight assemble out to inspect. first blew the brake light fuse which causes the shift lock to operate replaced the fuse and then it happened again but also took out the tail light fuse. I have replaced the fuses. I have lost lights behind the speedometer, tachometer, fuel and temperature gauges. and am not sure where they are tied into. any suggestions would be appreciated. I am not close to a Nissan dealer at all. thank you

NissanTech 08-21-2006 09:32 AM

Intermittent short circuits are the worst, specially with body work. Unfortunately there is no much I can recommend from here, other than take as many parts as you can, and try to visually inspect the wires. Obviously I'll start in the area of the body work. Good luck.

mpe235 08-21-2006 02:57 PM

Does the vehicle have a non factory trailer wiring harness. I have seen the convertor box short out and pop fuses for the lights.

dre351 08-21-2006 05:24 PM

if it has the old style 1157 bulbs i have seen the contacts on the bulbs melt and touch together causing these kind of problems by making a path straight to ground. if it has 3157 bulbs then this is probably not the problem. they changed around that time.

Ken 08-22-2006 02:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mpe235
Does the vehicle have a non factory trailer wiring harness. I have seen the convertor box short out and pop fuses for the lights.

Yes if it has a trailer plug check the wiring also if they have sprayed any paint around the back make sure they havent got any in the plug as the paint will short things out beleive me i know

4ti2d 08-23-2006 06:00 AM

the trailer harness appears to be original ad in good shape with a cover. I have used it to tow and all seems well. Thank You for your help.

momud 08-23-2006 07:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 4ti2d
the trailer harness appears to be original ad in good shape with a cover. I have used it to tow and all seems well. Thank You for your help.

check the plug itself?

i'd also start checking all the grounds and any loose wires.

mpe235 08-23-2006 02:00 PM

Look for the convertor box for the trailer wiring. It is usually located by the hitch itself (rectangular box with wires coming out of both sides) it is usually pretty obvious if it has shorted out. The box will be distorted ofrmay have a hole melted right through it.