Nissanhelp.com Forums

Nissanhelp.com Forums (https://x.nissanhelp.com/forums/)
-   Titan (https://x.nissanhelp.com/forums/titan/)
-   -   4 wheel drive problem (https://x.nissanhelp.com/forums/titan/5386-4-wheel-drive-problem.html)

mikew726 12-21-2007 07:23 PM

4 wheel drive problem

I have an '04 Titan SE Off Road pakage and went to put it in 4 wheel drive the other day during a snowstorm and nothing! The indicator light comes on and shows that it should be in 4 wheel drive but it is not.I also tried 4 low while in neutral with my foot on thebrake and it sounds and feels like it worked but all it did was put it into "creeper" gear.I had someone watch under the truck and the front driveshaft is truning but not engaging.He said I might have a vacuum leak? Sound right? The dealer wants $120 just to tell me whats wrong with it.Thanks Mike

mpe235 12-22-2007 10:11 AM

Take a look at the axles on the fron differential. Check to make sure one of the axles didn't pop out of the differential. I have seen several do this. The axle coming out damages the gears inside the diff. so you can't get it to go back in. If this is the problem you will have to replace the front diff.
It is covered by the 5 year 60k mile warranty.

mikew726 12-22-2007 01:21 PM

Yep! thats what happened! Talked to a local guy who has a Titan and he knows of people who have actually got it back in.This sucks since Nissan should know that this was a problem with the early Titans and should have done a recall!

patry 12-17-2010 05:40 AM

The funny thing about this is there was a design change of a part that they refer to as the side gear. They suggest that you purchase this when ordering a new snap ring and seal which seems to be wore out or as the reason the shaft pulled out. Also instead of of ordering a snap ring and a seal you must order a "KIT" which includes the snap ring and seal and also the hub and smaller shaft. Why is this I ask? Because there has also been a change to the groove depth, ring size, and gear that the ring seats into. The cost of this including the 3 qts of fluid I lost was $328. There was a very limited explanation as to why I needed the side shaft, only that it was suggested when the parts were brought up in the computer. While I ws waiting for this info a mechanic looking at the front end of a 05' titan came in and tolf the parts guy to order the same parts that i needed. When I had asked the parts guy why there was not a recall his face got red and said this was mearly a coincidense. Nissan never again ! back to Toyota

ThomasH 12-17-2012 12:32 PM

I have the same problem with my titan, the front axle slipped out and they're wanting to charge $1800 to fix it. They're also saying there is no kit to fix this. Any suggestions on how I should go about handling this?

05 le cc 02-21-2013 07:41 PM

Funny I know of 7 + mine STEELER-SHIP LOL