Nissanhelp.com Forums

Nissanhelp.com Forums (https://x.nissanhelp.com/forums/)
-   Xterra (https://x.nissanhelp.com/forums/xterra/)
-   -   service engine soon light debacle... (https://x.nissanhelp.com/forums/xterra/4820-service-engine-soon-light-debacle.html)

starx 11-20-2007 07:11 PM

service engine soon light debacle...

Very informative site, well done!

Service light has been coming on and off every three days or so and sometimes sooner than that. The light is steady and not blinking so no emergency but when I took it to the dealer to run a diagnostic test the light was currently off and they told me, after I paid the 80 dollars and a few days later, that they couldn't get an accurate read when the light isn't on. The gas cap has been clicked over 3 times on several occasions so it isn't that. It is very difficult to be near a dealer when this darn light happens to show its ugly face. Any suggestions or tricks on what I should do to keep this light off? No engine sound changes or loss of fuel efficiency to my personal observation. :confused:

NissanTech 11-20-2007 08:56 PM

Autozone (or any auto parts store) can get the code for you for free. Once you get the code you will able to properly diagnose the problem.

starx 11-21-2007 06:36 AM

large leak in evap.

Thanks. Took it to Adv. auto parts

The code was PO-452-large leak in evap. system. The gentleman said probably a leak in pressure hose. Is this covered under any emission warranty and, if not, how much would this cost me? The nissan place could not give me this info over the phone. Also, could I have a defective gas cap, is that possible?

Thanks.

mpe235 11-21-2007 02:05 PM

It is most likely a bad vent control valve. This is very common. It is covered for 3 years or 36,000 miles.

starx 11-24-2007 05:02 AM

should I

Thank you for your info... How would this affect the performance of the X if it isn't fixed until January? Warranty has expired as well. How much is a job like this if it is the valve? Thanks

DeDe 11-28-2007 05:06 AM

Service Engine Light

My light has been coming on and off for months. When I first called, the service manager warned me that I would be charged $90 for an inspection of the problem, and that it was most likely the fuel cap not being tightened properly. I've been tightening fuel caps for quite a few years now, I'm pretty sure I have that skill mastered, so I just tried to ignore it. Now, after several months, I noticed that the evaporation vent seems to be stuck open. :clap: Now, I actually have something substantial for them to deal with. They apparently can't handle diagnosing the light problem on their own. Good luck.

johnny b 01-15-2008 07:06 PM

just as an observation, i noticed that one of the replies stated that warranty is 3y/36k miles. evap system repairs should be covered for an extended period as is mandated by federal law for emissions compliance, typically it's 8y/80k miles. i am a master certified driveability tech for ford/lincoln/mercury/kia (feel sorry for me on the last brand) and i know this to be true on those brands. although i dont know "common" failures on nissans, i am a firm believer that the parts that customers have a direct input to (ie. gas caps) have the highest failure rate. and a loose or leaking fuel cap will DEFINATELY set a gross evap leak dtc. to verify for free, take a thin plastic grocery bag and place it tightly between your fuel filler neck and the gas cap, then tighten the cap back down. you can trim the bag if you dont like the idea of a grocery bag flying out of the side of your car. anyway the idea is if it's a cap leak, the bag is probably going to seal it.

mpe235 01-16-2008 04:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by johnny b (Post 18767)
just as an observation, i noticed that one of the replies stated that warranty is 3y/36k miles. evap system repairs should be covered for an extended period as is mandated by federal law for emissions compliance, typically it's 8y/80k miles. i am a master certified driveability tech for ford/lincoln/mercury/kia (feel sorry for me on the last brand) and i know this to be true on those brands. although i dont know "common" failures on nissans, i am a firm believer that the parts that customers have a direct input to (ie. gas caps) have the highest failure rate. and a loose or leaking fuel cap will DEFINATELY set a gross evap leak dtc. to verify for free, take a thin plastic grocery bag and place it tightly between your fuel filler neck and the gas cap, then tighten the cap back down. you can trim the bag if you dont like the idea of a grocery bag flying out of the side of your car. anyway the idea is if it's a cap leak, the bag is probably going to seal it.

The only parts covered on nissans by the federal 8/80 mandate is the ecm and catalytic convertors.

bdcooley 01-18-2008 12:31 PM

A perhaps related issue -- a basic flaw in the evap system design, espcially in off-road conditions -- is covered in NTB05-099a, though the codes there are different from the one under discussion here.

I and a buddy have had problems with this a total of 10 times. With the service bulletin, the dealer should (and has, in my case) attempt the fix for free.

Unfortunately, so far, the fix has not worked in my situation. My code (1446) tripped within 100 highway miles of the repair and twice since then after reset.

elanier 10-10-2009 08:18 PM

I had my fuel pump system replaced for $400 after service engine light came on and fuel gauge stayed pegged at "E". However, after replacement I went from getting 350-400 miles per tank to 300. Anyone know why the fuel efficiency would drop so drastically>

NissanTech 10-11-2009 09:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by elanier (Post 45527)
I had my fuel pump system replaced for $400 after service engine light came on and fuel gauge stayed pegged at "E". However, after replacement I went from getting 350-400 miles per tank to 300. Anyone know why the fuel efficiency would drop so drastically>

This is a different issue. I opened a new thread for this topic: http://x.nissanhelp.com/forums/xterr...ency-drop.html

ccrolley 01-02-2010 05:21 PM

Service Engine Soon -- Relentless and Unpredictable

My service engine soon light has come and gone for the last 50,000 miles. It's on right now. The codes show a problem in the EGR system, just like before. I've had the problematic valve replaced, the gas cap replaced, etc...

2005 Xterra. Meticulously cared for, regularly serviced, driven only by me and never offroad. This is just damn stupid.

Oh, sure, I can unhook my battery. The temperature outside today is 5. Sounds like a lot of fun for a car that's not even 5 years old.

This will be my last Nissan period. No help from Nissan, no help from any dealer, and it sounds like most people accept the Service Engine Soon light as a fact of life. Nope.

mpe235 01-03-2010 03:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ccrolley (Post 48763)
My service engine soon light has come and gone for the last 50,000 miles. It's on right now. The codes show a problem in the EGR system, just like before. I've had the problematic valve replaced, the gas cap replaced, etc...

2005 Xterra. Meticulously cared for, regularly serviced, driven only by me and never offroad. This is just damn stupid.

Oh, sure, I can unhook my battery. The temperature outside today is 5. Sounds like a lot of fun for a car that's not even 5 years old.

This will be my last Nissan period. No help from Nissan, no help from any dealer, and it sounds like most people accept the Service Engine Soon light as a fact of life. Nope.

The 2005 xterra doesn't have an egr valve.

alchemie 06-08-2014 02:30 PM

I have a 1994 Nissan Sentra that does that. Its been doing it for 10 years. We just got a 2001 Xterra and its check engine light just came on. Weird. Maybe its just a glitch with Nissans? *shrug*