Nissanhelp.com Forums

Nissanhelp.com Forums (https://x.nissanhelp.com/forums/)
-   Xterra (https://x.nissanhelp.com/forums/xterra/)
-   -   Fuel gauge problem and Sevice Engine Soon light (https://x.nissanhelp.com/forums/xterra/4151-fuel-gauge-problem-sevice-engine-soon-light.html)

crossingstitches 09-17-2007 01:10 PM

Fuel gauge problem and Sevice Engine Soon light

We have a 2006 XTerra,
Sat. we filled it at the gas station and noticed right after leaving the station that the gauge still said a quarter of a tank, so we pulled into another gas station a few miles down to see if it would take more gas and it only took .70 worth, so when we started the engine again, the Service Engine Soon light was on. As we were driving down the road the gauge slowly started rising to the full mark. We had to fill it again before we got back from our trip and it did the same thing, didn't register our full tank and then slowly went up to the full mark, and the SES light has stayed on the whole time, any ideas??? Anyone else have this problem???
crossingstitches

JAYBAILL 09-17-2007 03:07 PM

Hi,
I just got back froom the dealer w/ my 2005 Pathfinder. I have a similar problem. My SES light comes on and my DTE guage reads ---- when the fuel gauge gets down to 1/4 of a tank. The dealer told me it registered error code PO463 and that I need a new fuel sending unit. Since my Pathfinder has 47,000 miles on it it is not covered by warranty. They tell me approx $600.00 to fix. In my case the SES light resets after approx 300 miles. As long as I keep the gas more than 1/4 of a tank the SES light won't come on. The dealer told me I won't be hurting the vehicle. Anyone else with this problem?
JAYBAILL

vpnavy 09-18-2007 12:38 AM

2 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by JAYBAILL (Post 13812)
Hi,
I just got back froom the dealer w/ my 2005 Pathfinder. I have a similar problem. My SES light comes on and my DTE guage reads ---- when the fuel gauge gets down to 1/4 of a tank. The dealer told me it registered error code PO463 and that I need a new fuel sending unit. Since my Pathfinder has 47,000 miles on it it is not covered by warranty. They tell me approx $600.00 to fix. In my case the SES light resets after approx 300 miles. As long as I keep the gas more than 1/4 of a tank the SES light won't come on. The dealer told me I won't be hurting the vehicle. Anyone else with this problem?
JAYBAILL

Until someone replies with specifics - I pulled this from your Service Manual. You can find more information if you jump over to http://x.nissanhelp.com/forums/Knowledgebase/links/74 and download Service Manual - Engine Control 2005 Nissan Pathfinder.

Hope this helps...

gyroman 01-14-2008 05:19 AM

My 2005 pathfinder is doing the same thing. Error code P0463. My Service Engine Soon light stays on constant. I guess the only way to fix it it to buy a new Fuel Pump/ Sensor unit...

MassPathy 01-15-2008 05:06 AM

Same thing here

Hi... had the EXACT same thing happen this past Sunday to my 2006 Pathfinder with 47k miles, with the exception that my gauge went to completely empty. The DTE read ------ . Did some research and found Service Bulletin NTB07-069a , link below, which seems to indicate this is a real problem with several models, including Xterra's. I went to AutoZone and pulled the code PO463 which confirmed the fuel sending unit as the issue. Now trying to find out why they apparently won't cover it. Good luck.

JJ

NTB07-069a

elrodguitar 01-23-2008 07:36 AM

Same Issue Here

I have a 2007 Nismo Crew Cab Frontier. At 55K my gauge went haywire. Sometimes it will work and sometimes I have to play it by ear.

JLEWISTX 01-28-2008 12:43 PM

Same Issue

2005 Pathfinder with 60k miles. Autozone gave diagnostic reading and now left to go to the dealer for the fuel sending unit. :no: Not happy!

bamawolves 01-29-2008 01:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by elrodguitar (Post 19083)
I have a 2007 Nismo Crew Cab Frontier. At 55K my gauge went haywire. Sometimes it will work and sometimes I have to play it by ear.

I have 2005 Nismo Crew Cab Froniter w/ 90,000 miles having the same problems. DTE shows - - - -, or flutuates badly, mpg flutates between 7 and 17 mpg, my mph shows 23 mph when I'm stopped, and the Service engine light stays on. Does your light come on? Nissan says it's my cat. converter, but I don't believe them.

Retro 02-26-2008 07:09 AM

I have a friend who has a 2005 Xterra w/44K miles and it has the same problem. Is Nissian making this good for folks out of warranty since it's obviously faulty part ??? Anyone have any insight dealing with dealers on this issue ??? Thanks

hendrix89 02-26-2008 09:10 AM

sounds like a recall is coming soon

sekobx 02-29-2008 12:24 PM

I have the same issue on my 2005 Pathfinder approximately 52k miles, I went to a local mechanic and they quoted me $500, doing some research i found that this is a common problem with nissans. Im currently out of warrante any way to get the dealer to fix this.. recall would be great!!!

sekobx 02-29-2008 12:24 PM

Another question, does anyone have intructions on how to change the fuel level sensor unit?

mpe235 02-29-2008 04:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sekobx (Post 20784)
Another question, does anyone have intructions on how to change the fuel level sensor unit?

It is really pretty simple. Remove the left rear wheel. Disconnect the hoses from the filler tube (one hose is difficult to disconnect. You will need 2 small screwdrivers to hold the retaining clip out while you seperate the hose.) After that remove 3 bolts holding the fuel tank straps. Lower the tank down enough so you can disconnect the electrical and fuel line from the top of the sending unit. With the tank removed use a screwdriver and hammer to turn the lock ring on the sending unit. After you get the pump/sending unit out just unclip the fuel level sensor and swap it out.

Brian1879 03-04-2008 02:27 AM

2005 Xterra with 60,000, P0463 computer error, which is the fuel level sending unit. Had to take it to the dealer to get it fixed, out of warranty, 463 dollars later... ouch!

Retro 03-11-2008 07:41 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Learned a few things on this issue. We were out of warranty as well and had to pay out of pocket for 2005 Xterra w/44,000 miles to get it fixed......kind of a rear end burner. Anyway use the P/N 25060-ZS00A on the service bulletin # NTB07-69a. This P/N is for the sender unit "only" @ $97.00 only vs. the sender unit & pump assembly @ $290.00. A lot of dealers don't have this part number and it only seems to show up if you give it to them directly. Total cost to replace and install a new one was $236.00..... thru a non dealer. Dealers quoted us $450 to $600..... ouch....plus they seemed very unhelpful in the Phoenix area. You decide price wise.

Attached is a picture of the sender unit. There is corrsion on the metal track/strip towards the full mark. Seems like most folks are having this problem towards 3/4 to a full tank. Could this part of the metal strip be corroding when it's not submersed in the fuel ?? If I have to guess it's a metal coating or type of metal used when maufactured problem.

Anyway that is my .02 cents worth.