Nissanhelp.com Forums

Nissanhelp.com Forums (https://x.nissanhelp.com/forums/)
-   Maxima (https://x.nissanhelp.com/forums/maxima/)
-   -   Rough Idle when stopped in drive gear? (https://x.nissanhelp.com/forums/maxima/3113-rough-idle-when-stopped-drive-gear.html)

02NissanMaxima 06-21-2007 04:37 PM

Rough Idle when stopped in drive gear?

My 02 Automatic Transmission Maxima with 60,000 miles has just started running rough. When I come to a complete stop the car starts shaking and almost feels like someone is in a car next to me with really loud base. The RPMs are fine there is no check engine light and the engine has not stalled but seems very aggitated. If I put it in park or neutral the shaking goes away. Any Ideas on what this may be????? I would appreciate any ideas.

NissanTech 06-21-2007 06:33 PM

Even if the light is not ON, you should still check for codes. I don't think the problem is the transmission, it sounds more like a bad ignition coil or air flow meter.

02NissanMaxima 06-22-2007 02:42 PM

o2 sensor?

The check engine light came on today on my way to get the code(s) checked. I went to Advance Auto and had them test it, it came up with a P0174 code bank 2 and it said the exhaust was lean. According to the employee it is an 02 sensor. Does that sound correct? I guess my next step is getting a diagnostic check completed and most likely 1 more of the 4 oxygen sensors replaced.

jimmiz 06-25-2007 02:14 PM

02. I don't know where you are at since your last post, but the symptoms sound very similar to the mass air flow (MAF) meter problems that I recently had. It is way too common a problem with these cars, but a pretty easy fix. For my 2000 the part was about a hundred bucks... But it seems I read something where they altered the part a bit and for newer maximas its a bit more pricey.

The good thing about the fix is after I put in the new part the idle was not only better, but the power went back up. I grabbed my ankles for a recommended remap of my ecu afterward which may or may not have helped.

Either way, good luck.

FYI, I changed all 6 ignition coils a couple years ago.

NissanTech 06-25-2007 02:27 PM

P0174=Fuel System Lean, but it is not necessary for the O2 sensor. You shouldn't replace the O2 sensor. The code it is trigger when the ratio of air/fuel it is too lean, more air than the necessary or the air flow meter reading of the air flow is no correct.

02NissanMaxima 07-14-2007 03:48 PM

finally fixed

Just wanted to post so that if anyone else may have the same problem you might save more money than myself. It turned out to be the MAF. This part cost me 500 bucks and also had a bad 02 sensor. I drove with the car running the way it was for 3 weeks and ruined my spark plugs. Total cost was 1100 bucks from the Nissan dealer. My recommendation is that if you have check engine light on and it is the MAF code, get it fixed asap to prevent more damage. THe car now runs like it was brand new, quiet and fast.

NissanTech 07-14-2007 03:58 PM

Great!!, Thanks for letting us know.

mpe235 07-14-2007 04:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 02NissanMaxima (Post 11071)
Just wanted to post so that if anyone else may have the same problem you might save more money than myself. It turned out to be the MAF. This part cost me 500 bucks and also had a bad 02 sensor. I drove with the car running the way it was for 3 weeks and ruined my spark plugs. Total cost was 1100 bucks from the Nissan dealer. My recommendation is that if you have check engine light on and it is the MAF code, get it fixed asap to prevent more damage. THe car now runs like it was brand new, quiet and fast.

I agree with the maf and o2 sensor but I really don't think this ruined the plugs. You may have needed them by mileage or they may have just sold you on them.

tmacola 05-24-2016 11:35 AM

I have same problem with 01 Pathfinder. MAF did not solve my problem. I am wondering if it is the idle control valve?