Nissanhelp.com Forums

Nissanhelp.com Forums (https://x.nissanhelp.com/forums/)
-   Sentra (https://x.nissanhelp.com/forums/sentra/)
-   -   2002 Sentra GXE 1.8L P0755 & O/D Flashing (https://x.nissanhelp.com/forums/sentra/24650-2002-sentra-gxe-1-8l-p0755-o-d-flashing.html)

Warhammer 02-27-2013 07:37 AM

2002 Sentra GXE 1.8L P0755 & O/D Flashing

Okay...looking for some vast expertise here before I dive into my transmission! So summarize, I'm in a 2002 Sentra GXE, 1.8L, automatic transmission, ~165K miles.

Over the last year, during colder months, I've experienced intermittent shifting issues. I've noticed a couple different failure modes:

1) Check engine light comes on and the transmission will not get out of 2nd gear. I restart the car and it works fine. Check the code and I read P0755.

2) Check engine light comes on and system seems to go into a fail-safe mode. Vehicle feels very sluggish during acceleration. I restart the car and it works fine. O/D light flashes for a bit, then goes away. Check the code and I read P0755.

A year ago I thought it was the solenoid pack. I dropped the tranny pan, replaced the solenoid pack, put in new tranny fluid, etc. I did this towards the tail end of winter so afterwards everything worked fine until this winter. The problem came back in what I previously described. But then again, once I restart the car, the tranny works and feels fine.

I have yet to double check all terminals, connectors, etc are getting good contact. Maybe the connector terminals are a bit oxidized causing signal issues. Will double check this over the course of the next few weeks.

I pulled the TSB against this; i.e. Abnormal Shifting of Auto Transaxle (NTB04-35). It states the following:

If you confirm an applied vehicle equipped with an automatic transaxle has ALL of the following conditions:

• Abnormal shifting (like: slip, "shift shock", no shift, improper shift timing)
  • Transmission fluid is not burnt
  • No excessive debris in the oil pan
  • The incident is listed as an A/T internal fault as per the Electronic Service Manual (ESM) diagnostic procedure
When ESM diagnosis shows an incident is caused by an A/T internal fault for an Applied Vehicle:

• DO NOT replace the transaxle assembly.
  • INSTEAD, first replace the control valve assembly (valve body) of the incident transmission. Use the latest part number shown in your Nissan Parts Catalog.
    • 31705-3AX14 ($668.64)
Now keep in mind I'm NOT versed about transmissions after the the valve body. I can pull the valve body, clean things up, etc but I can't tear apart a tranny, never done it. I don't want to have to swap out the valve body assembly but will if I need to.

Has anybody else experienced this? What things have others done to eliminate this issue?

Any assistance would be greatly appreciated! Thanks for your help!

Warhammer 02-28-2013 07:04 AM

There has to be someone out there that has had this issue before. I can't be the only one...

Warhammer 03-03-2013 03:34 PM

Bump...really hoping there is someone out there that has seen and dealt with this topic before...

Warhammer 03-06-2013 07:36 AM

Bump...for the last time.

Starting to loose hope someone can help here. :(

NissanTech 03-08-2013 10:12 AM

Quote:

There has to be someone out there that has had this issue before. I can't be the only one...
Sometimes I have a bad time given bad news. :hmm:

With over 165K sounds like you may have a bad transmission.

When you remove the transmission pan, do you recall seen any debris on the pan? Is the transmission slipping?

With 165K miles I don't recommend replacing just the valve body. If the transmission is slipping you definitely need another transmission (or rebuilt it by a shop, not you). If is not slipping then you could buy more time by just cleaning the valve body. I don't recommend replacing the solenoids again.

Warhammer 03-08-2013 11:32 AM

Woohoo!!!! Someone with experience chimes in. THANK YOU!!!

The only thing I noticed when I pulled the pan for the solenoid job was a lot of goop around the magnet on the pan itself. I detail cleaned the pan and the magnet and put it back together. I remember the fluid was a good color, didn't smell burnt, etc. We simply pulled the valve body and replaced the solenoids, that's it.

When the transmission works, it works very well from what I can tell. Although I've never felt what a transmission feels like when it slips. Each gear seems well defined and solid, downshifting is smooth/responsive, etc. The rest is as described above. After a restart all is well minus the lights on the dash.

My knee-jerk reaction is to replace the valve body just as the TSB says only if everything else electrical checks out. What do you think about the TSB?

Warhammer 03-19-2013 09:54 AM

BUMP...

Well, it's sad that I only got one response. There has to be someone out there that has experienced this.

I think my first step is going to polish all of the contacts with my dremel tool. Over time contacts can oxidize and open circuit to cause problems. Considering this issue goes away immediately after a restart, leads me to believe this is electrical in nature.

If that doesn't work I'll swap out the valve body and see what happens. After that the TCM if necessary. Hopefully it doesn't come to that.

cityhunter25 04-18-2013 06:06 PM

I have the exact same problem as you, it seems that when its cold outside or during winter is when the problem appears. I get EXACTLY the same symptoms as you.

I took the car to a transmission guy and he claimed that the solenoid assembly was not the issue, then he checked all the wires up to the TCM (transmission control module) and he said that it was rusted, I changed it but the problem still persists.

I am also having a Catalytic converter failure, I wonder if this has anything to do with it....

Warhammer 04-19-2013 06:34 AM

I'll be doing some more troubleshooting over the course of the summer. Looking at all connectors, polishing all contacts, inspecting the TCM and reworking as necessary, etc. I also am going to drop the valve body inside the transmission itself and will replace the filter. We'll see how it goes.

I replaced the solenoid assembly at the beginning of NM's fall last year. Worked for a while but didn't solve it. There is a TSB out there stating to solder the ground wire. Crimp itself on the ground wires might be disconnecting in the fluid. Who knows. Can't hurt to do it.

cityhunter25 04-22-2013 03:46 AM

sounds like a plan, I'm taking the car to a transmission guy today, I'll keep you posted of what he did.
good luck

Warhammer 04-22-2013 08:20 AM

Please do. It would help. Thanks!

cityhunter25 05-01-2013 09:05 AM

SO its been now 10 days and the car is still in the shop... the mechanic changed the solenoid pack, and the P0755 code is gone but now the O/D light flashes 16 times and I get a code P0745 which is the "pressure control solenoid malfunction" he checked all the wires for continuity, the drop resistor was changed and the tcm was switched and still the problem persists. The mechanic told me he is all out of ideas from what this could be.

Currently the car is still at the garage, he is trying to figure out what else could the problem be...

I never saw a problem go and another one just jumps in right away.

There are 3 components to the tranny control, ECM=>dropping resistors=>solenoid packs.

Any luck with your side?:confused_1:

cityhunter25 05-01-2013 05:38 PM

So I got the car back today.... guess what... it was the most stupidest thing ever.

It turned out to be the harness connector that is going to the transmission. it was giving a bad contact. the pins where loose. The mechanic pushed the pins back tight and all codes were gone. eventually I will get a whole new harness that goes from the TCM to the drop resistor to the tranny.

Hope that helps you. the harness connects to the driver side part of the transmission, next to the front wheel. if you remove the mud guard around the wheel you can see it

Warhammer 05-02-2013 02:35 PM

Makes sense. One of the things I was going to look at. The solenoid side of the connector was replaced when I swapped out the solenoid pack a while ago. Had intentions to polish/check the contacts on the engine harness side. Now this gives me more incentive to do so.

Thanks for the info. Please post back with status once you've driven it around for a while. Will be interesting to see how it performs over the spring to summer transition, then from fall to winter later in the year.

cityhunter25 05-03-2013 11:42 AM

Sounds good! Let me know how that goes.

So far pretty good, everything runs smooth and well. I'll keep you posted during the weather change.