Nissanhelp.com Forums

Nissanhelp.com Forums (https://x.nissanhelp.com/forums/)
-   Altima (https://x.nissanhelp.com/forums/altima/)
-   -   2012 Altima Sedan oil has red color (https://x.nissanhelp.com/forums/altima/24171-2012-altima-sedan-oil-has-red-color.html)

Gary100 01-09-2013 07:36 PM

2012 Altima Sedan oil has red color

Checking the oil level, I noticed that the oil had a red color.
The only red vehicle fluid that I know of is transmission fluid.
I have the 2.5 engine with CVT.

I'm not a mechanic but do all the maintenance on my cars.
I was not aware of a fluid path between the oil pan and the transmission.

Also, almost daily, somewhere between 25 and 35 mph, I hear a growling (grinding) sound like gears not meshing smoothly.

Any ideas or knowledge of these issues would be greatly appreciated.

NissanAltima01 01-09-2013 08:09 PM

It sounds like you have a transmission leak into the engine block if you are hearing a grinding noise on the road. Your transmission fluid is probably very low if you haven't checked. I would take care of this urgently.

Gary100 01-10-2013 08:57 AM

Nissan service manager stated that there is NO WAY for transmission fluid to leak into the engine. Can anyone verify this ?

Does the 2.5 Altima sedan with CVT use a torque converter?
If it does, could it leak fluid into the engine ?

I'm not too sure I believe the service manager since he also stated that owners CANNOT check the CVT transmission fluid level.
The Maintenance Manual (from this site) proves this to be false.

Any information is greatly appreciated.

NissanTech 01-10-2013 10:20 AM

Quote:

Nissan service manager stated that there is NO WAY for transmission fluid to leak into the engine. Can anyone verify this ?
It's possible, but very unlikely. When was the last time you change the engine oil? who did it? and what weight and brand of oil was used?

Gary100 01-10-2013 06:40 PM

I bought the car new.
I changed the oil at 3,000 miles and refilled with Castrol GTX 5W-30 per owner's manual.
I changed the oil at 5,000 miles and refilled with Castrol GTX 5W-30 to set the pattern of oil change every 5,000 miles.
There are currently between 7,200 and 7,300 miles on the car.

The service manager insinuated that since Nissan hadn't done the oil changes, that I might have put in the wrong fluid, and that this could be denied under warranty.

I've been doing my own oil changes since I was 17 and I've used Castrol in all my cars. Plymouth, Dodge, Chrysler and Honda.
I know the difference between oil and transmission fluid.
And I don't have any transmission fluid at my home.

NissanTech 01-10-2013 07:04 PM

Just checking Gary. Unfortunately I have never seen that problem before, although it's possible, I just don't know how that could have happen. How is the transmission fluid level and condition?

NissanAltima01 01-10-2013 10:45 PM

If you are low in transmission fluids, then there is probably a seal malfunction that has been leaking transmission fluid into the block. That service manager sounds like he needs a new job.

Boland01 01-11-2013 07:01 AM

I believe the 2012 still uses NS-2 fluid for the CVT. I think they made the change to NS-3 for the 2013 model year. If it is NS-2 then that CVT transmission fluid is green.

Gary100 01-11-2013 08:05 AM

I can't get the latch free on the CVT disptick, so i don't know if it's low.
Checked the oil again today and when I wiped the dipstick off on a white towel, it shows reddish brown but a trace of green just at the edge of the main oil stain.

I don't use a heavy foot on the throttle.
In the last week or so, accelerating to highway speeds, the engine revs to 3K and stays there.
I have to release the gas pedal for it to drop back down to 2K - the normal rate.

Another issue that has been getting more pronounced is a tapping that increases with speed. It seems to be an engine issue since it makes the noise whether the CVT is engaged or not.

bennyb53 01-11-2013 12:25 PM

1. send for oil analysis for about $30. to determine contaminants if any. you might need it later in your battle with Nissan with tranny fluid leaking to engine.

2. as you are probably aware to keep receipts of your oil purchases, type and grade and keep containers on hand, record dates of oil changes, and mileage each time. you are at a disadvantage from the get go cause you're doing your own maintenance but that will not void your warranty so record keeping is crucial.

3. the jury is still out on REALIABILITY OF CVTs hence Nissan is giving a 10 Year, 120,000 Mile warranty. I can remember when Nissan first entered the U.S. market they were giving the same warranty on powertrain.

4. Personally I will wait 3 more years before I buy a Nissan with CVT. From other carr makers is flat out no. GM lost a class action suit on CVT equipped Saturn. Unfortunately those owners were left out in the cold when the judgement was wiped out during GM's bailout bankruptcy.

bennyb53 01-11-2013 12:32 PM

i might add you can send samples of your transmission fluid (2 tablespoons) so they can test if it is present in your engine oil.

Gary100 01-11-2013 06:33 PM

Do you recommend a particular business for oil analysis ?

And thanks everyone for your replies.

Steveatl 01-12-2013 11:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bennyb53 (Post 85911)
4. Personally I will wait 3 more years before I buy a Nissan with CVT. From other carr makers is flat out no. GM lost a class action suit on CVT equipped Saturn. Unfortunately those owners were left out in the cold when the judgement was wiped out during GM's bailout bankruptcy.

I've had my '07 Altima with CVT for almost 6 years with no problems at all. Nissan was putting them in some vehicles 2 years before that.

bennyb53 01-12-2013 02:10 PM

just google oil analysis. in my case i chose Oil Analyzers Inc., a division of Amsoil. It turns out the work was done by Polaris Laboratories. Amsoil has their private label brand so is Chevron, etc., etc.

atikovi 01-13-2013 04:34 PM

CVT fluid is clear with a green hue, something like green tea.

http://www.fototime.com/6C310EEFDB2F5B5/standard.jpg

Guess it could be something from the fuel you are using.