Nissanhelp.com Forums

Nissanhelp.com Forums (https://x.nissanhelp.com/forums/)
-   Xterra (https://x.nissanhelp.com/forums/xterra/)
-   -   My 2003 Xterra 3.3 problems (https://x.nissanhelp.com/forums/xterra/23769-my-2003-xterra-3-3-problems.html)

road warrior 11-27-2012 04:27 AM

My 2003 Xterra 3.3 problems

It has thrown codes P1446 and P0455. And the knock sensor code, not worried about it right now. The first 2 need cleared before I pass emissions inspection. In talking with a few people, one is a Nissan tech, the charcoal canister needs replaced and while fueling, it puked fuel back out of the filler neck twice now so it is also recommended that the fuel tank vent valve also be replaced. I have dropped the spare tire, located the canister, loosened the bolts holding it in place and must now wait for delivery of parts.

Am I on the correct path to clearing these codes? Do I have to clear them by removing the positive battery cable to reset the computer and then drive (how far?) to reset the learning part of the computer? Also in asking around these 2 parts are costing about $450 out the door, am I correct in understanding that the only way to find them cheaper is junkyard as they are Nissan only mfg'ed parts? If so I may search junk yards online today to see if I can find the canister cheap.

Anxiously awaiting response, I gotta get this done soon.

road warrior 11-27-2012 07:42 AM

Answered part of my question

buying these parts by salvage is not going to happen unless I personally find the part remove it and pay myself. Illegal to ship those types of parts once they have had fuel in them. Still wondering about "right track" and the computer reset.

bennyb53 11-27-2012 06:18 PM

try research the parts at: nissanpartszone.com. when you have the parts # then go to: nissanpartswarehouse.com to compare costs and shipping charges. These parts are under emissions. i would not buys these parts at salvage yard. but if you insists, go to: aaaparts.com. i bought from them a PS pump from a '03 Altima and still working nicely. i rebuild the original PS pump and now as a spare. For electronics parts, may be from local salvage yard and have not been exposed to the elements.

NissanTech 11-27-2012 07:13 PM

Quote:

Am I on the correct path to clearing these codes?
Without performing some test to diagnose the problem, it's hard to say.

When you removed the canister, did you find water inside the canister?

Did you find any loose hose or connector?

How is the gas cap? cap seal? can you firmly tight the cap?

If you no water was found inside the canister, I doubt the problem is the canister.

Quote:

Do I have to clear them by removing the positive battery cable to reset the computer and then drive (how far?) to reset the learning part of the computer?
If the problem is indeed the canister, then yes. Disconnecting the car battery to reset the code is correct.

P0455 NISSAN - EVAP Control System Gross Leak Detected

Read more: OBD2 - OBDII Code P0455 NISSAN - EVAP Control System Gross Leak Detected | Engine-Codes.com

P1446 NISSAN - EVAP Canister Vent Control Valve Close

Read more: OBD2 - OBDII Code P1446 NISSAN - EVAP Canister Vent Control Valve Close | Engine-Codes.com