Nissanhelp.com Forums

Nissanhelp.com Forums (https://x.nissanhelp.com/forums/)
-   Altima (https://x.nissanhelp.com/forums/altima/)
-   -   oil in one of the spark plug holes (https://x.nissanhelp.com/forums/altima/23402-oil-one-spark-plug-holes.html)

scitron 10-11-2012 08:57 AM

oil in one of the spark plug holes

another problem has creep up. I was going to do a tune up, when I removed the second wire and noticed oil in the hole. enough the almost cover the plug. I replaced everything back . No oil in any of the other spark plug holes.
Any idea what is happening and the way to solve it. My altima has 157K, still runs pretty good, check engine light on with a P1320 code, will have to clear that up before I do the inspection. One problem at a time.
Any help would be appreciated, as always thanks.

NissanAltima01 10-11-2012 12:24 PM

The P1320 code is "Ignition Signal" and i have posted a URL at the bottom to link you to the information you need for that code. If the spark plug hole was almost full you need to take it to a mechanic to fix it because that can be a fire hazard. It could be from a valve cover leak to damaged pistons or the O-ring gone bad that is causing that oil leak. I hope this helps...

OBD2 - OBDII Code P1320 NISSAN - Ignition Signal | Engine-Codes.com

scitron 10-11-2012 12:56 PM

oil in the spark plug hole

Thank you for your quick reply on my 2 problems which I am having with my 1999
nissan Altima.
I certainly will be taking it to my mechanic and have them work on it.

smj999smj 10-11-2012 09:23 PM

Piston and ring failure won't cause oil inside the spark plug tube. This is a fairly common problem due to a bad spark plug tube seal. Remove the valve cover and replace the valve cover gasket and spark plug tube seals. Use brake cleaner, compressed air and a rag to clean the oil out of the tube. Also, clean the oil off of the spark plug wire boot for that cylinder. If the boot is bloated, replace the spark plug wires. Oil in the well can cause the spark to jump from the spark plug wire boot to the metal spark plug tube, causing a misfire and possible P1320 and/or P0300/301/302/303/304 trouble codes. Fel-pro make a valve cover set that has both the gasket and the seals, as well as new rubber grommets for the valve cover bolts.

scitron 10-12-2012 03:29 AM

oil in the spark plug hole

Thank you for your in dept reply as to the problem may be. It sounds more like it nay be the answer since I noticed some oil leaking from the rear of the gasket cover.
As far as the P1320 code, I'll remove it myself after the gasket cover and boot replacement is done and see if the code stays off or returns with another problem.

Johnnyboy98 10-14-2012 11:53 AM

Had the same problem, just changed out the Valve Cover gaskets & seals around the spark plug holes...

scitron 10-14-2012 12:15 PM

thank you for your reply, I'm taking it to my mechanic in the morning. followup to come

scitron 10-19-2012 02:27 PM

still have the P1320 code

I've recently replaced the valve cover gasket, new spark plugs, new wires, and still have the P1320 code come up on the OBDII.
Any anyone with new ideas are welcomed to respond.

Johnnyboy98 10-19-2012 05:13 PM

As NissanAltima1 stated above thats your ignition signal. I would start by cleaning all the connector terminals to the distribritor , coil & engine grounds. Could be as simple as that or a short in the harness from the distributor ignition signal wire to ECM. Could be a bad connector, coil, power transistor or a bad distributor. You need the right manual with the diagnostic procedures or a good mechanic.

scitron 10-19-2012 08:30 PM

Thank you for your reply, I will bringing it back to the mechanic , otherwise I won't be able to pass inspection.

dr_UMMER 01-28-2014 04:46 PM

Changing spark plug well gaskets is a bit tricky on 2002-2006 Altimas.
They are not sold separately, but instead the seals are embedded into the valve cover. You would have to buy the whole valve cover to replace them.

Here is how I replaced the valve cover gasket and spark plug seals on my 2003 2.5SL:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JQmMdfEGweU

mydragonfly 02-02-2016 09:40 AM

I had recently replaced(approx. 1nhalf yrs) the valve cover and gasket due to garments wornout and oil getting in spark plug. The other day I tried to crank her and she wouldn't start. I have noticed that there is still oil in the spark plug well. I am wondering if the gasket could have worn out that quick or what else could cause the problem. I am desperate need to figure out what is wrong with my car.

bennyb53 02-03-2016 12:52 PM

I don't know if the seal failure is due to material defect or workmanship in installing the seal. My spark plug tube seal is still OE. Try this temporary fix. Apply a good amount of Permatex Ultra Grey Silicone around the tube and on top of the seal. Let it cure a good 2 hours before starting. Hope that works before buying a new valve cover.