Nissanhelp.com Forums

Nissanhelp.com Forums (https://x.nissanhelp.com/forums/)
-   Pathfinder (https://x.nissanhelp.com/forums/pathfinder/)
-   -   98 pathfinder knock sensor (https://x.nissanhelp.com/forums/pathfinder/23103-98-pathfinder-knock-sensor.html)

carbby44 09-08-2012 04:02 PM

98 pathfinder knock sensor

Hi folks,my 98 pathfinder has started pinging going up steep hills lately.
I tried higher octane gas=no help. I've read that a bad knock sensor
could cause pinging?. I don't know how to check the ks, and i read it is
nearly impossible to get to?, i recently cleaned my throttle body intake
with o2-safe spray, with engine off'. i put a small piece of wood to keep
the throttle plate open while i sprayed/cleaned the intake and plate. I
read later on, not to touch/mess with the throttle-plate. my motor still
runs smooth and no eng/lights come on the dash, but now the motor
takes a few extra minutes to idle-down to normal= 650-750rpm's. i tried disconnecting the battery for a while but it the ecu won't re-learn
-idle. could this have anything to do with the pinging sound? today i
checked one spark plug=burning a little yellow and white.. i also checked distrubutor cap=looks okay and cleaned the rotor up...any info
would be appreciated. Thanks.

NissanTech 09-08-2012 05:40 PM

Quote:

I've read that a bad knock sensor could cause pinging?. I don't know how to check the ks, and i read it is nearly impossible to get to?,
Never heard that before. How many miles on your Pathfinder? have you replaced the timing belt?

Quote:

i recently cleaned my throttle body intake
with o2-safe spray, with engine off'. i put a small piece of wood to keep
the throttle plate open while i sprayed/cleaned the intake and plate. I
read later on, not to touch/mess with the throttle-plate.
It's not a problem on the 1998 only for later models with electronic throttle motor

Quote:

but now the motor
takes a few extra minutes to idle-down to normal= 650-750rpm's.
How long exactly? it's normal to take 3-5 minutes. Depending on the temperature and other factors.

Quote:

i tried disconnecting the battery for a while but it the ecu won't re-learn
-idle. could this have anything to do with the pinging sound?
No, ti shouldn't have nothing to do with that.

When was the last time you change the plugs and wires?

carbby44 09-08-2012 07:14 PM

Hi, timing belt changed at 105k now vehicle has 134k. same time changed plugs w/platinum tip ie;should still be fine?. not change wires, cap looks good, rotor a little burnt at contact but i shined it w/emery cloth still works good. it has taken up to 6-9
minutes to idle down even on 70 degrees morning start up. I noticed the idle problem
immediately after the throttle body cleaning, and i eve double checked tightness on all
intake boot clamps and hoses when re-intalling intake assembly. ps; after the vehicle warms up/idles normally, it performs as it always did. the recent pinging has got me
concerned. i will try chevron gas and some fuel additive soon, today i drove to town
up down mtn road some of it steep,, and listened for pinging,,i can still here it some when starting to accelerate up hill.

smj999smj 09-13-2012 08:36 PM

Yeah, knock sensor will not make it ping. What the knock sensor does is send a signal voltage to the ECM when the engine pings or knocks and the ECM, in turn, retards the ignition timing slightly to help minimize engine damage. Yes, it is a pain to get to as it is bolted to the top of the engine block; the intake manifold has to be removed to access it. Some people have purchased a new knock sensor and a subharness for a Maxima and relocated the knock sensor to the top of the intake manifold for better accessability and to avoid having to remove the intake manifold. I would think, though, that it probably gets a better reading from the top of the engine block. The Maxima subharness does have to be cut and soldered to the original knock sensor circuit to complete the bypass. Some reasons for "pinging" can include a lean mixture or carbon buildup on top of the pistons.