Nissanhelp.com Forums

Nissanhelp.com Forums (https://x.nissanhelp.com/forums/)
-   Quest (https://x.nissanhelp.com/forums/quest/)
-   -   2004 Quest - Power Sliding Door Cable Replacement - Schematic/Diagram? (https://x.nissanhelp.com/forums/quest/21510-2004-quest-power-sliding-door-cable-replacement-schematic-diagram.html)

JB_Quest2004 02-20-2012 07:41 PM

2004 Quest - Power Sliding Door Cable Replacement - Schematic/Diagram?

Hello,

I recently bought a 2004 Nissan Quest and, while trying to resolve an issue with the backup sonar/buzzer, found this site. I found a post concerning the buzzer and was able to fix the issue with a $7.00 part from Radio Shack and a nice pictorial/tutorial from this site. After finding that and saving a bunch of time and some money, I subscribed because I knew the information here would be invaluable.

My question now pertains to the drivers side power sliding door. When we bought the Quest I was told that the electric door motor was bad on the drivers side, but the door did work manually. The power open/close option works fine on the passenger door and the rear door, but not on the drivers side. I've spent several hours online looking for information on the motor and cable assembly and found a used door motor for a reasonable price. However, before ordering it, I wanted to make sure it was in fact the issue.

This evening I took the panel off inside the van to access the door motor and found that the cable was broke off the door and was twisted and jammed up. I also discovered that the motor was disconnected from the module. I plugged the motor in and pressed the open/close button and it sounds like it is working!

I've removed the electric door motor and the cable assembly.

I would like to attempt to replace just the cable in hopes that this was the real issue and it will resolve the problem without having to replace the motor.

I read on this forum and other sites that others have replaced their broken cable with 1/16" coated aerial/braided cable from Home Depot or Lowes. My plan is to do this, but I haven't been able to locate a diagram or schematic that shows how the cable is supposed to be installed and how to connect the ends.

Any assistance, advice, tips, schematics, diagrams, and/or pictures would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance,

-jason from Kentucky

JB_Quest2004 02-23-2012 04:23 PM

2004 Quest - Power Sliding Door Cable Replacement - A little progress

Little bit of progress, some pictures, and some more questions...

Yesterday I took the panel/trim off the passenger side to see how a properly functioning door was set up, how the cables were run, and how the mechanics worked. That helped me a lot and I took pictures and video to document it and aid in working on the drivers side door.

I also took the motor off of the cable assembly that I removed from van earlier in the week and found out how the cables connect to the door and, for lack of a better term, the "hub" on the cable assembly. I took just the motor back out to the van, plugged it back into the appropriate harnesses and confirmed that the motor is working properly! So it looks like the real issue was the broken cable, not the motor, so I am going to replace the cable and give it a try. The cable is approximately 1/16" (including the coating) and has ends on it similar to what is found on a bicycle brake cable. I've ordered some cable, which should arrived tomorrow or Saturday, but I'm struggling with how to fasten it to the door and the "hub" near the motor. If you have any suggestions or know if there is a fitting that can be purchased and installed on the end of the cable I would appreciate hearing it!

Thanks,

-jason

Below are some pictures:

The first one is the motor and cable assembly still installed in the van

http://i67.photobucket.com/albums/h3...t/100_0084.jpg

The next one is the the cable assembly with the motor removed
http://i67.photobucket.com/albums/h3...t/100_0105.jpg

Here is the electric door motor
http://i67.photobucket.com/albums/h3...t/100_0106.jpg

Here is a closeup of the "hub" or spool
http://i67.photobucket.com/albums/h3...t/100_0107.jpg

And here is the sprocket that one of the cable ends is attached to (which can be seen in the lower right corner)
http://i67.photobucket.com/albums/h3...t/100_0108.jpg

And here is the cable end, which I am still trying to figure out how to fabricate, if you have any ideas, tips, or suggestions I would greatly appreciate it!

http://i67.photobucket.com/albums/h3...t/100_0110.jpg

flexbert 03-27-2012 01:11 PM

Had any luck with this ? Same thing happened to both doors on my 2006 Quest. I'm in Nova Scotia, Canada and they use lots of salt on the roads in the winter. At the point where the cable end attaches to the door (outside), the cable had rusted and it broke there on both sides.

I have the motor assemblies removed and have not sourced any cable yet. Nissan (in Canada) wanted about $700 each for the entire assembly (the whole thing in your first picture, including the cable) and they said they do not sell the cable as a part by itself. If I could source a cable and the ends that you are searching for, I'd be willing to do it myself.

Thanks,

--flexbert

SportsFans 09-08-2012 06:07 AM

Same! thanks for the pix, any luck and what cable did you use? TIA

ritter 09-08-2012 06:45 AM

Very nice job.
You can use HD green cable 1/16 with stop/OR just ferrule under $10 for parts and a few hours to save yourself $400 .
GOOD LUCK!

mpe235 09-08-2012 07:55 AM

Button Stops - Ferrules - LexcoCable.com

TonyC25 10-05-2012 01:46 PM

busted cables in sliding door

Hi All, I hope someone can help. I have a broken cable on passenger side. I took off the interior panel and the broken cable was all fouled up and tangled around the the spool. I cut off the bad cable (BAD - it was frayed almost everywhere) and got it out so I could open/close the door manually. I can't seem to figure out how the cables get threaded and attached. The photos are great but are there detailed directions for putting in new cable? I'm handy but not a car guy. Van has 105,000 miles and I'm not about to spend $700 for a new assembly. Looking for detailed steps. Thanks. - Tony

tomcrosley 01-09-2013 07:53 AM

I'm having the same problem......my question is....how do you get the panel off......I'm stumped.

jalia 10-03-2013 05:51 AM

Hello JB,

Can you help find those pictures of the sliding door assembly and any instructions that explains how to replace a bad cable, I have both right and left sliding doors on my 04 Quest going bad and I am stuck what to do. I think someone mentioned something about the BL section in the service manual, but I am not able to locate it in the download , which direction should I go?

Much appreciated,
Jalia

JimmyNewtron 11-05-2013 08:35 PM

Quest door repair

Quote:

Originally Posted by jalia (Post 93275)
Hello JB,

Can you help find those pictures of the sliding door assembly and any instructions that explains how to replace a bad cable, I have both right and left sliding doors on my 04 Quest going bad and I am stuck what to do. I think someone mentioned something about the BL section in the service manual, but I am not able to locate it in the download , which direction should I go?

Much appreciated,
Jalia

I just finished doing this repair. I had to make my own cable (which BTW you'll have to order from Amazon.com because Home Depot doesn't sell the cable others have mentioned in Canada). I took pictures and documented the steps but haven't yet uploaded everything. Will try and get to that shortly. The actual job is pretty straight forward once you know how to make your own ferrules (several good youtube videos for guys making custom motorcycle cables). Look for something shortly...
Jim

JimmyNewtron 11-05-2013 08:54 PM

Repair of the sliding door cables

Quote:

Hello JB,

Much appreciated,
Jalia

I just finished doing this repair. Not hard but does take a bit of time. I did document the steps but have only up until the installation of the new cables:
https://plus.google.com/100833672212...ts/365bPDxfUAh
I'll try and put the rest of the steps up this weekend.

A couple of pointer.
1) Search Youtube for video on how to make your own ferrules. Several really clear "step-by-step" ones on making your own custom motorcycle cables which work perfectly for me

2) The cable you need is not available in Canada. I Hhad to order it from Amazon.com (not .ca). Also, the green 1/16" coated wire folks have gotten from Home Depot is not available in Canada.
Here is the cable you will need: Loos Galvanized Steel Wire Rope, Vinyl Coated, 7x7 Strand Core, Black, 1/16" Bare OD, 3/32" Coated OD, 25' Length, 480 lbs Breaking Strength

Hope this helps,
Jim

JimmyNewtron 11-05-2013 08:56 PM

Quote:

Hello JB,

Much appreciated,
Jalia

I just did this repair. I'll try and post all the photos and steps (I documented the whole ugly affair) this weekend.
Jim

Genraleric 07-21-2015 06:03 PM

Hi i know it has been a while since this has been an active thread so i hope someone will reply to this but how did you fish the wire through the back part that goes outside it looks like its a 180 degree turn and the cable gets stuck there. Thanks