Nissanhelp.com Forums

Nissanhelp.com Forums (https://x.nissanhelp.com/forums/)
-   Maxima (https://x.nissanhelp.com/forums/maxima/)
-   -   2000 Maxima surging rough idle.. HELP!! (https://x.nissanhelp.com/forums/maxima/19890-2000-maxima-surging-rough-idle-help.html)

mielnik21 09-11-2011 05:08 PM

2000 Maxima surging rough idle.. HELP!!

Hello,
I recently purchased a 2000 Maxima with 139k miles on it. Love the car, fun to drive, but these problems need to stop! Started with new plugs (I used recommended plugs) then ignition coils, and hasn't stopped! New problems are surging and almost seems like transmission is slipping but not sure. Nissan wants to rebuild transmission for $1000. Not worth it. Maybe Throttle position sensor though?? Also cold weather starting is a problem also. No codes other than p0138 and p0139 which are rear o2 sensors. I just replaced that one today and have not reset the codes yet. I have a video on youtube and I will provide a link below. Please read description and annotations on video. Any suggestions and help would be much appreciated. Thanks!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LBV_Z3M1An4

I recently bought a 2000 Maxima that now has about 139k miles. Its been pretty troublesome. Started with new plugs (recommended plugs), new air filter, ignition coils, MAF, 2 o2 sensors, new fuel line, and pcv valve. Problem after problem. New problems are rough idle when cold (below about 60 degrees F) and surging when I acceleration. Runs fine when I accelerate faster but then when putting the pedal to the floor, goes to about 6200rpms and delays the shift and when it finally shift its a rough transition. In this video it did great when going 0 to 60. Later this day, I started going 15mph then put the pedal to the floor and the problem of the delayed shift was still there. Nissan says its a transmission issue but it just does not seem to be that way with some symptoms. Any other ideas would be greatly appreciated!!!! Thanks!

NissanTech 09-12-2011 09:10 PM

+ YouTube Video

NissanTech 09-12-2011 09:15 PM

How is the transmission fluid level and condition??

You may want to try changing the fluid first. Do not do a flush, just drain fluid and fill up.

mielnik21 09-13-2011 11:40 AM

Both are good. Color has redish tint level looks good

bobby71 09-22-2011 10:33 AM

How is your fuel mileage .? who did the plugs ? maybe a intake leak did they use the old gasket. Rember if its running rough and no codes its mechcanical issue . the computer can fix things you have to go back to the basic with any obd1-2 car . Run a vacum gauge on it . someone maybe didnt conect a vacum hose .

mielnik21 09-22-2011 03:02 PM

Just got it back from the shop.. bad intake leak so fixed that replaced gasket, fixed a vacuum leak and also cleaned throttle body and other things.. runs great response is great feels like 50 more hp jumped in my car and no rough idle.. BUT...... problem with surging still exist. What's the chance of it being a bad curl filter or maybe improper TPS (throttle position sensor)???
Thanks!

mielnik21 09-22-2011 03:04 PM

Correction - Fuel** not curl.

bobby71 09-28-2011 03:59 PM

Maybe but a filter just gets clogged and wont run. Or will die when you get on the gas hard . Is it surging at idle or on the road at high way speed. ? If its jumping up at idle .I would check the EGR valve I had it happen to my car a GM . It was going crazy at idle strarted to throw money at it instead of going back to the basics . And put a vacum gauage on it . The thing was stuck open and had a vacum leak!! send more info !!

NissanTech 09-28-2011 07:08 PM

Quote:

maybe improper TPS (throttle position sensor)???
Yes, and out of adjustment TPS could cause that problem, but the TPS rarely loose the adjustment, unless the TPS fails or someone move it.

You can check the TPS adjustment. Instruction to check the adjustment are in the "Engine Control" section of the service manual Page EC-123. You can download the section free from here: Knowledgebase - 2000 Maxima - Nissanhelp.com Forums

mielnik21 09-29-2011 04:33 PM

I did take it off and examine it.. could it throw it off by doing that? Also is a ecu reflash required when u replaced a MAF? THANKS

mielnik21 09-29-2011 07:36 PM

Also, a week and a half ago i just got it back from the shop and had a vacuum leak and very bad intake leak.. that fix the idle when its cold and it no longer died. The mechanic then said the surging while accelerating was still there so he checked the EGR valve, timing chain, and water pump. (There is anti-freeze leaking in places every once in awhile randomly.) He said everything looked fine with the EGR and everything else he checked. He was stumped. I will post another video of the problem in park or neutral that I am having. It won't be able to rev past 2000 rpm it surges when I press on the accelerator from 1500 to 1700. I will post a video of that very soon. My last resort is a transmission issue but a TPS adjustment is where i think i should start. Changing the fuel filter in the next few days also. I will keep you guys posted. Thanks!:furious:

mielnik21 09-29-2011 08:19 PM

Can't seem to post the video I'm having troubles. Here is the link.

http://youtu.be/5kjP4-Nn02w

sboeseneilers 10-11-2011 06:11 AM

I have a 2000 nissan maxima 3.0l and i am having severe idle issues. Everyone ive talked to has never seen this issue before. When car is cold there is a slight misfire and a o2 code. When it warms up the misfire goes away and runs ok. The idle (warm) is around 1350 and im told it should be around 750?? The real issue is there is a gap between the TB and the throttle stop(about 1/4 inch) and when i pinch that gap closed the idle drops to 750. When i release the TB linkage the gap comes back to normal but the idle skyrockets. Ive had the intake gaskets and head gaskets replaced and am in dire need of ANY SUGGESTIONS u guys might have!!!!!!

bennyb53 10-11-2011 10:40 AM

You mentioned you cleaned throtttle body, you must do Air Volume Learning procedure. Also inspect and test your crankshaft pos. sensor. Hope this helps.

mielnik21 10-11-2011 10:51 AM

I think it is the crankshaft sensor too.. I heard there are two in the car tho. Which one do I replace??