Nissanhelp.com Forums

Nissanhelp.com Forums (https://x.nissanhelp.com/forums/)
-   Altima (https://x.nissanhelp.com/forums/altima/)
-   -   1996 OBD II Code P0325 & P1400 (https://x.nissanhelp.com/forums/altima/19437-1996-obd-ii-code-p0325-p1400.html)

vzimbardo 07-31-2011 08:33 AM

1996 OBD II Code P0325 & P1400

I have a 1996 Altima and got these two codes P0325 & P1400. I know that they are the Knock Sensor 1 Bank 1 and EGRC Solenoid/V, respectively. Can anyone help me locate where they are and how I can go about replacing them myself? The car runs good, no stalling or rough idling, the temp gauge stays in range. I would like to replace these myself if it is possible. I have searched for pictures of where they are located with no success. Thanks.

bennyb53 07-31-2011 11:02 AM

Shop online for the sensor for your vehicle year, model, engine size. Then print the pic if you can. If no printer, well, memorize it.

On my 02 Altima, the sensor is located on the firewall side when standing in front of your car, below the intake manifold, slightly passenger side. I have to assume on your 1996 that it is in the same area. Front of engine is passenger side.

You have to jack up your car and remove the passenger wheel. Whether to remove or not the splashguard curtain is up to you, I did. You need a drop light or big flash light. You are lying on your back looking up. On my Altima a crossmember makes access a bit challenging. Bring the new sensor pic and your cell camera with you, and when you see something that look like on the pic, that's it. Take a pic and compare.

To remove is fairly easy. Simply disconnect the wiring connector, and I think a 10mm socket.

NOTE: Taking a pic before removing the old sensor is important so you remember to install the new sensor on the same angle (orientation) according to specs. You don't wanna have to go back in there. Professional garage with a hydraulic lift is cool cuz you're standing up. Download the service manual on your vehicle from here and do some reading. Have fun.

Needless to say, be sure you have plenty of support when working under the car. Block the rear wheels.

jgonzalez261 09-27-2011 02:59 PM

I just finished doing some major repairs to my daughter's 96 altima (timing chain, head gasket, manifold gaskets, RTVing all oil pans, etc...). I had to replace the knock sensor because it was cracked; bennyb53 is correct, it is located underneath the intake manifold and it's kind of tricky to replace. You will have to access it from underneath the car. There is a 10mm bolt that holds it in place.

The EGR is located on top of the intake manifold, just above the fuel injector railing and wiring harness.

Hope this helps.

Regards,

Javier

mad4271 05-19-2012 08:29 PM

If you remove the oil filter, access to the knock sensor will be easier.