Nissanhelp.com Forums

Nissanhelp.com Forums (https://x.nissanhelp.com/forums/)
-   Quest (https://x.nissanhelp.com/forums/quest/)
-   -   OBD II Code P0340 Camshaft Position Sensor A Circuit (Bank 1 or Single Sensor) (https://x.nissanhelp.com/forums/quest/18775-obd-ii-code-p0340-camshaft-position-sensor-circuit-bank-1-single-sensor.html)

cky 06-06-2011 08:53 PM

OBD II Code P0340 Camshaft Position Sensor A Circuit (Bank 1 or Single Sensor)

Has anyone had the OBD-II Trouble Code: P0340 Camshaft Position Sensor A Circuit (Bank 1 or Single Sensor) on their 2004 Nissan Quest? If so, what did you do? How much did it cost for repairs? And is it possible that I can fix it myself? And where is it located?

I notice that the Check Engine, Slip, and Traction lights are on all at once and the van stalls and runs rough. There is another website called QUESTdriver and seen some forums mentioned about a ECM malfunction due to premature corrosion.

NissanTech 06-06-2011 11:01 PM

2 Attachment(s)
The price of the sensor is around $75. You may be able to get a better price for an aftermarket sensor.

The sensor is located top/left side of the engine. Removing the air filter duct helps you access and locate the sensor. Once you locate and access the sensor, remove the 10 mm bolt holding the sensor and change the sensor.

cky 06-07-2011 04:13 AM

I appreciate the info.....THANKS MUCH!!!

grossgary 08-03-2011 11:13 AM

Is that picture of the camshaft position sensor or the variable timing sensor?

I have a 0340 code and a non-starting 03 pathfinder, trying to find the camshaft sensor.

cky 08-04-2011 06:13 PM

Hey GrossGary!!

Sorry I didn't get back to you on time, been busy and all. Yes, that is the picture for the camshaft postition sensor. I don't know if your 03 Pathfinder is the same engine as my 04 Quest (3.5L V-6). I suggest that you replace Cam Position Sensor 1, Cam Position Sensor 2, and the Crank Position Sensor as well. If one goes out, the others will go out within days. The only difference from the actual picture is that both (Cam 1 and 2) were on the right hand side of the engine (as if you were looking down on engine with your knees touching the front bumber) -vs- left and right of engine. One was in the middle/right and the other was closer to the back/right by firewall with a pea green (light green) color clamp. The Crank Position is located at bottom front under the front engine by the engine/car frame. All three are easy to get at and my van runs so much better.

I got all of my 3 sensors at www.rockauto.com for about $40 on Cam 1, $42 for Cam 2, and Crank sensor for $44. It was cheaper than going to Nissan ($112 per pc) and other auto parts stores ($70).

Good Luck on that project...oh and if you come back with a p0011 and p0041 (which means the Cams are advanced), put Seafoam or some oil engine cleaner treatment in the oil gasket to clean out the bad oil (sludge) that is on your varable valve timing. Give it a couple oil changes and then disconnect the ground battery for about 30 min so it can clear the "Check Engine" light.

Matt1958 09-30-2011 09:46 AM

I had the same problem with my 2004 Quest (stalled on th highway!) but a neighbour with an OBD code reader, this forum and the part in stock at a local dealer make me feel a little better. I will tackle it ASAP and post the results.

artes 10-22-2011 10:01 AM

Camshaft position sensor 2005 pathfinder

I just replace the camshaft position sensor on my 2005 pathfinder , is located on the passenger side behind the motor , you litterly have to get in top of motor. To see it , you need to remove the black cover 10 mm bolts 2 bolts . You can find this part at advanced auto parts online pick up at store look for a promo code to apply for even additional reduced priced . It was $ 57. 00 online applied promo code cost me 41.00 tax included. Thanks hope it can help , try this code a123 see if it works.

Scott the Plumber 12-07-2011 04:29 PM

Cam 1 and cam 2 sensors

I have a 2004 Quest SE 3.5L with symptoms that would indicate a Cam 1 and/or 2 sensor failure. I'm a plumber, not a mechanic, and not savvy at auto repair and have already spent a good deal of money with mechanics with no results. The internet provided the diagnostics that I needed regarding the VDC light coming on, loss of power in Drive, good power in Low and "hard to start" issues. I understand this thread is old and may not get an immediate response, but I appreciate any help that is given as I also help others on a plumbing forum.
I believe that I have located the Cam 1 and 2 sensors on the right of the engine, center and rear. The center, right sensor seems easy to access, but the rear, right sensor looks like a challenge. Other internet info recommends the Cam 2 sensor to be changes first, since it is usually the culprit.
My question is: which is the Cam 1 and which is the Cam 2? Above recommendations suggest replacing both as well as the crank position sensor, but I need to be careful with expenses and will replace them as I can afford them.
I could disconnect the air intake to get to the rear sensor and probably reverse action to put it back together, but are there any recommendations before I get involved.
Thanks for any replies.
SWM

streamcast 12-07-2011 06:33 PM

The sensors are in awkward place. Frt one easy but rear one you may have to move the air cleaner to make replacement easy. I would replace both cam sensors.

Scott the Plumber 12-11-2011 02:59 AM

Replaced with OEM sensors and all is right with the world. Thanks to everybody in the forum for being here.

2005Quest 01-16-2012 07:05 PM

I got into the same situation here. Engine light came on and took it to the mechanic and they replaced the 2 cam shaft sensors. The light is back on and I dont want to take this back to the mechanic. They might charge me again for the diagnostics. a friend of mine used his reader and it gave a code regarding the cam shaft position sensor. Any ideas on whats going on.
do you think the wires are not connected properly. I wanted to remove them myself and re connect them. But I am having trouble find where they are on the engine and how to remove the adapter from it.
Please help.

JohnBoyQuest 04-17-2012 08:24 AM

I replaced both of mine with battery disconnected but the engine light is staying on.Do I need to go to Autozone or somewhere and have them reset it?

Was allot of sludge on the sensors I will be gettying some seafoam engine cleaner,changing oil and keeping up with it better now as I am sure that is what made the sensors fail.

Thanks for all the tips

Matt1958 04-17-2012 10:27 AM

yes - an OBD reader will be needed to reset the warning lights!

JohnBoyQuest 04-17-2012 10:56 AM

Thanks Matt,

I was going to Autozone to have the code reset and when I accelerated into traffic got a loud transmisson clunk as before and the engine shut off.

Before that the VDC light had gone off and only the check engine light was on.It started right back up ok but had zippo power in drive and not much more in Low.VDC light is now back on.Drove back home

I pulled the ECM out and it had exterior rust but the housing to the circuit board was not compromised.

If I ever get this thing "right" I am going to sell it asap.One of the most disappointing vehicles I have ever owned:cry:

2005Quest 04-17-2012 12:34 PM

Dude, I went through a nightmare with those codes. my van would actually stall while driving. especially as I slowed down at lights to turn. I am very lucky that the engine didnt die on the highway. but I had to replace the cam 1 sensor myself. that was a pretty tough job. Van runs fine now. I still have the engine light on. even though I deleted it several times. now its giving me p0021.
What do you mean that you pulled the ECM out? how did you do that and what for? maybe I need to check that also.