Nissanhelp.com Forums

Nissanhelp.com Forums (https://x.nissanhelp.com/forums/)
-   Sentra (https://x.nissanhelp.com/forums/sentra/)
-   -   loud chatter when cold,gets quite when warm-no codes-VVT? lifter? valves? (https://x.nissanhelp.com/forums/sentra/17795-loud-chatter-when-cold-gets-quite-when-warm-no-codes-vvt-lifter-valves.html)

hogan 03-04-2011 01:51 PM

loud chatter when cold,gets quite when warm-no codes-VVT? lifter? valves?

2006 1.8s SE 65k

1 owner oil changed every 3k - and all service on schedule at dealer.

Loud valve type tick/chatter when start from cold and a rough idle/ride feel in steering wheel until warm. It seems to feel in the wheel it idles a bit rough/vibrates in drive at stop and a bit rough in general. It does not throw any codes according to dealer who just did coolant and trans fluid.

They said they wouldn't charge for diagnosis cause it didn't throw codes, I asked if I should have a compression test done,they said if it had a problem it would throw a code even though they noticed it a bit rough/off -said keep driving it to see if it gets worse.. but clearly something is wrong with engine.

If no codes.. but it sounds loud/chattery when cold,quiets mostly when warm,until ya step on it for highway on ramp or passing ..and there is a bit of a rough idle and a vibration in the wheel when driving- what should I ask to be looked at?

There is a second Nissan dealer in town-I stopped by there and a service guy came out,said he wouldn't speculate but thought a senior tech might be able to diagnose it ... ok.. I was at the other dealer and they have serviced it since new.. why wouldn't they want a crack at it ? it has ext. warranty/ext serv contract until 85k

I don't mind paying diagnostic fees.. I will take it to other dealer but wish I knew what to suggest - there seems to be oil on the air filter,could an intake/exhaust valve be bad or a lifter ? how do these engines adjust timing? could the chain be stretched ?? or a tensioner relaxed?

all suggestions appreciated..thx :wiggle:

faja 03-05-2011 07:44 AM

Check you PCV valve and intake hoses for any clogs.

JudoJohn 03-07-2011 04:45 AM

may be a timing chain tensioner or the chain itself.

hogan 03-09-2011 07:14 PM

thx JJ

funny thing is we took it to dealer and they said it seemed fine. wouldn't charge us for diagnosis cause it didnt throw any codes, and said keep driving it.

I have a different dealer a bit north of here i will take it to. If it was not covered by ext warranty I am sure they would have wanted to do some work

-should i be ok to keep driving it or should i really get to fixing it ?

JudoJohn 03-10-2011 07:40 AM

I think it is nothing to worry about. If you REALLY want to spend some money, a dealer will be happy to repalce SOMETING for you.

Sometimes, chain tensioners are a bit weak at startup. I think that is what you are hearing. the oil pressure makes the tensioner work properly. but ask another dealer and see what they say.

hogan 03-15-2011 11:16 PM

torque converter wasn't fully releasing-brand new transmission will be installed by friday.

hogan 03-16-2011 08:21 PM

got the free loaner today-should have car w/ new tranny friday or monday

we were going to sell it,but if the engine is 100% and the tranny is new .. :thumbsup:

JudoJohn 03-22-2011 05:53 AM

glad you got it fixed!

hogan 03-22-2011 01:35 PM

ha!

got a call today - new trans didn't do it -dealer rep says nissan n.america says try trans tcu -trans control unit

the rolling chatter under load seems like a cam,crank,lifter or timing issue to me - but the licensed professionals are giving it their best shot and so far .. ext warr. is covering everything cept' $50 + tx - so let them replace the trans.. if that tcu doesn't do it - maybe the engine will get a look .. wish me luck !

we are so lucky to have bought the $1300 ext warr. -yeah the rear brakes were done under a service bulliten and so was the fuel pump 2x - but it sure is handy during this trans,chatter,... mystery issue

hogan 04-25-2011 12:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hogan (Post 64236)
torque converter wasn't fully releasing-brand new transmission will be installed by friday.

well - Nissan NA is sending a tech to the dealer on 5/3/11 to actually do work on car or diagnose it

still in the shop and has been since this post - long time .. :cry_1:

hogan 05-05-2011 10:27 PM

the transmission was replaced 2x- and a caliper was seized so that was replaced.

The TCM/TCU and drop line resister was replaced.

I was told it was fine but acted up after 5 miles so the disconnected and reconnected the TCU again and it has yet to act up-if it acts up again they believe it is a harness issue

the tranny doesn't shift as crisp as the previous,feels a little softer..a small surge after it shifts

.. but no loud rolling chatter at 2500rpm! whoo hoo

I bought the guys some cold drinks..

hogan 06-28-2011 09:45 PM

2000 miles into new transmission

amazing how different it is from the first 67k miles with car - used to shift crisp, now it shifts late and lazy

I read torque is max at 2500 rpm - well this car is a slow dog until 3k rpm then whoosh ! it revs right up!!!!!!!!!!!! used to be crisp from 2k -2700.. dealer service manager says nissan probably made newer transmissions less hard shifting for longevity ... sounds like bs .. but i am just a customer.

I hate it the way it is - I am glad it doesn't 'chatter' at 2200rpms but I miss the nice clean crisp shifting instead of slow,late surging shifts.. i even think when I am on the highway sustaining 2500 rpms at 70 mph -it feels like it skips/slips momentarily or surges ..