Nissanhelp.com Forums

Nissanhelp.com Forums (https://x.nissanhelp.com/forums/)
-   Altima (https://x.nissanhelp.com/forums/altima/)
-   -   Engine Cranks But No Start (https://x.nissanhelp.com/forums/altima/17386-engine-cranks-but-no-start.html)

bennyb53 01-20-2011 11:15 AM

Engine Cranks But No Start

Hello again,

This is a follow up on my troubleshooting of my 2002 Altima of no start.

I've obtained the trouble codes with OBD II scanner. The trouble codes are P1610 and P1612. According to the Nissan's DTC code index these codes refers to the NATS (Nissan Anti Thefts System) Malfunction. We think the car is in lockdown mode because its not receiving signal from the transponder key or problem in the receiver.

This is new to me. I didn't know the key has a chip in it. Instead of getting a new key which will cost about $75 according to the locksmith. The dealership will probably cost twice as much. I will try to troubleshoot the transponder receiver and see if the malfunction is there. The locksmith said it is very, very rare that the chip in the key go bad.

If anyone has had experience on this issue, I appreciate it very much if you can share it here in the forum.

By the way, those who hasn't experienced a lost transponder key or key fob, they are very expensive. In the old days, we used to go Ace hardware or key shop and have our ignition key duplicated. Those days are gone.

NissanTech 01-20-2011 05:31 PM

You probably just need to reprogram the keys. Unfortunately only the dealer and some locksmith the the right tool can reprogram the keys for you. Since the system is in lock mode you have to tow the vehicle to the dealer to get it unlock. Before you tow the vehicle, try disconnecting the car battery for a few hours to reset the system. Sometimes disconnecting the battery may do the trick, I hope it does for you.

bennyb53 01-20-2011 10:06 PM

Thank you NissanTech for your suggestion. I will do that tomorrow.

I am suspicious though because if I go back to the first time the card didn't start on Dec. 30, 2010, was it the receiver that went awry? By the way, the old crankshaft and camshaft when we tested them they still have strong resistance, so they were good. I don't feel bad replacing them because it needs to be done soon anyway I think with 90k miles

I am in Hawaii so extreme cold weather is not an issue. And the fact the car wasn't acting up like a misfire, sluggish or no power, start and stalls, etc. prior to no start.

If the transponder receiver turned out to be the culprit, it make sense since the ECM has to receive the signal that it is the right key and send a signal to fire up. The freelance mechanic that is helping me admits he is more of Ford and GM cars than foreign cars. He asked me to scour the internet like the Nissan forum and Anwer.com.

The Nissan service manual doesn't have much to say on the issue of Anti Theft System other than to say the car will not start.

bennyb53 01-20-2011 10:21 PM

By the way, my 2002 Nissan Altima has a Mannual Transmission. The first time it didn't start a couple neighborhood guys helped me trying to kick start but no luck. I just thought this might be an important thing to know. Thanks.

streamcast 01-22-2011 02:44 PM

If THE KEY ARE IN LOCK MODE YOU SHOULD BE ABLE TO CYCLE THE KEY OFF FOR 10 SECS AND ON FOR 2 SECS DO THIS 3 TIMES AND SECURITY LIGHT SHOULD START TO FLASH. IF YOU GOT SOME SORT OF KEY PASS FOR FUEL STATION OR SECURITY KEY FOR A BUILDING THESE WILL DELET THE KEY PROGRAM AS WELL.

bennyb53 01-22-2011 05:00 PM

Thank you streamcast. I am puzzled when you wrote " when key is in lockdown mode." I think you meant the car. Anyway I will try your suggestion.

By the way, when I start the engine the security light (red) comes on. I think its supposed to be off when cranking.

I just really need to disable this security system. Thanks.

NissanTech 01-22-2011 05:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bennyb53 (Post 62312)
Thank you streamcast. I am puzzled when you wrote " when key is in lockdown mode." I think you meant the car. Anyway I will try your suggestion.

By the way, when I start the engine the security light (red) comes on. I think its supposed to be off when cranking.

I just really need to disable this security system. Thanks.

You can't disable the system. When the Engine Control Module (ECM) does not reads the key it will not power the fuel pump. You may try bypassing the ECM and power the fuel pump directly, but I'm not sure I can help you with that.

bennyb53 01-22-2011 06:43 PM

Thanks Tech. I didn't it would work either. I'm hoping to hear from someone to say, yeah it can be done, lol.

Ponchoguy 01-29-2011 12:46 PM

By the way, those who hasn't experienced a lost transponder key or key fob, they are very expensive. In the old days, we used to go Ace hardware or key shop and have our ignition key duplicated. Those days are gone.[/QUOTE]

---For Nissan, yes. For GM, no. You can get the key cut at a locksmith and use the car to recognize the key. Such is the case on my Pontiac G6. The remote fobs have to be programmed with the Tech 2 (the GM scanner).

vvegaiii 01-03-2013 08:03 AM

Having same problem with my 05 Altima. There's a strange smell (like gas with something else) after cranking. Also, for a couple of weeks I've been hearing a clicking (from a relay?) coming from the dashboard area--worried something electrical has failed (I hate electrical problems). Are these clues to something else besides NATS? Or could this clicking come from the NATS?

I will check the security light and see if it's staying on while cranking...

vvegaiii 01-03-2013 08:52 AM

Update: Alarm light does not stay on during cranking, so most likely not a NATS problem. Car actually started but died after a couple of seconds this morning.

bennyb53 01-03-2013 11:15 AM

1. If you're security light is off when cranking then you have no problem with anti-theft system.
2. The smell of gas means the injectors are firing when you're cranking but when ECM don't receive feedback from crankshaft sensor, ECM will cut off power to fuel pump. If there was spark the fuel will burn and you have ignition. Do the spark test to confirm you have no spark.
3. If CEL is on, scan ECM for trouble code. If dtc code is P0335, replace your crankshaft sensor. And you might as well replace the camshft sensor as these two works in tandem. For these use Nissan parts only.

vvegaiii 01-03-2013 12:15 PM

Thanks bennyb53 for the feedback. Luckily my mechanic has his shop near us and he was gracious enough to come over and take a look. He checked for codes (no CEL on, though). No codes found. After cranking it he said it sounded like it was flooded. i said, not by me, since I don't usually touch the gas pedal on newer cars to start them. He suspects someone might have put something in my gas (but no evidence). Well, he cranked and cranked for about 1-2 minutes and the car started; big dark cloud of smoke behind the car. It stayed on. After about 5 minutes running it, he turned it off, and it turned back on right away when cranked. I've started the car after he left, and it's starting...I hope it was a dust bunny that's been burned now...

bob1234 11-06-2013 09:59 AM

I know this is an old thread, but my problem is similar to the OP, however, my car does doesn't show any codes.
I have been using an aftermarket key for many years now with the computer chip inside, but, just noticed the chip came loose.

So when the ECU cannot detect the chip it will still crank and may not throw any codes?
I'm surprised the service manual does not mention on how NVIS will prevent the car from starting.

mpe235 11-06-2013 03:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bob1234 (Post 93615)

So when the ECU cannot detect the chip it will still crank and may not throw any codes?

Correct. It will crank but will not start. On the newer Nissans, I believe 2007 and up they will not crank.