Nissanhelp.com Forums

Nissanhelp.com Forums (https://x.nissanhelp.com/forums/)
-   Frontier (https://x.nissanhelp.com/forums/frontier/)
-   -   brake and battery light staying on (https://x.nissanhelp.com/forums/frontier/17377-brake-battery-light-staying.html)

Jimsome 01-18-2011 11:15 PM

brake and battery light staying on

I had alternator failure 2 weeeks ago. I replaced the alternator and belt and everything was fine for 3 or 4 days then one day I noticed the brake and battery light on together.

I cleaned my battery terminals and the ground. I checked my fuses under the hood and the dash only fuse blown was the interior light and I replaced that. Lights still come on intermitanly.

I take the truck to the local auto parts store and they check the alternator and they say it is good put a load on the battery and they say the battery was bad. It was under warranty so I get a new one.

On the way home the lights come on again. Now if I turn the truck off and restart the lights are off but will come back on randomly sometimes not for a whole day.

I Google this problem and see that a lot of people have had this problem. So recheck all my fuses none are blown. I check all wiring connections everywhere between the battery and the alternator and everything is tight.

I am at my wits end now and running out of ideas. Anybody have an idea what's going on? I mean battery, belt and alternator is new that should have taken care of the problem.

I can't believe the alternator is bad because it is new AND I had it tested and watched the needle myself.

As most of you know changing the alternator is a PAIN (it was for me anyways) because it is on the bottom.

Can anyone help me?

thanks ... :wallbash:

Jimsome 01-19-2011 07:17 AM

well I get in the truck today to go visit my Dad in NC (1 1/2 hr drive) and the lights comeone and stay on the whole way. Before I could turn the ignition off and restart and the lights would go out but not now.

I'm going to recheck the alternator but I know it is good. I may have to take it in to the deal to run a diagnostic but I SURE don't want to on a truck as old as mine!

Anybody got any ideas? Man this frustrates me! This is my work truck and I need it!

delivers1234 01-19-2011 08:16 AM

ive always noticed a short when things like this happen (ie a broken wire). its easy for wires to get cut during winter.

my rear lights did that and the nissan shops wanted to replace everything. it ended up also affecting my dash board when i hit the brake.

2001 v4.

e

Clint 01-19-2011 07:24 PM

There are times when a new part isn't perfect just because it is new.

Clint

Jimsome 01-20-2011 09:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Clint (Post 62235)

Clint

BINGO! Clint you were right! Good Lord I went over that truck 10 times. Everything led back to the alternator. AutoZone checked it and said it was good. I took it back out and replaced it and now the lights are out and so far so good drove it 3 hour round trip drive and no lights.

I didn't ask if it was a rebuilt alternator but now in retrospect I bet it was. Got my fingers crossed (and the jump box behind the seat) that everything is OK now! :thumbup:

etowah08 01-14-2012 04:53 AM

breake and battery light

I bought a used Nissan Murano. When I bought it of course we didnt have problems with it until we took it home. The brake and the battery light would come on at the same time. We took it back to get fixed and they claimed they fixed it. Well they put new brakes on but did not change the battery. About 2 weeks ago (the lights still on) my car stalled and dies on me. My husband thought it might be the battery and got me a new battery for it. The battery that came in the car must have been in there ever since the car was made. Well my car hasnt died anymore but the lights are still on. My uncle saw I needed new back tires so we got them put on and got the tires ligned up. When we bought the car the steering wheel was also cocked to the right and would not straighten up but the people that put my tires on fixed that. Well for the next 2 days after I got my tires on the lights didn't come on. The 3rd day they came back on and are acting up like crazy. I forgot to mention when they come on they make my headlights dim? Come to find out the people that put the tires on said the murano had to have been ran into a dirch and wrecked. The dealer did not aware ud of that when it was bought. My husband still can't find why those lights keep coming on?? HELP please

JatMat 07-07-2012 02:47 PM

Don't know if this will help here or not, but my son's Toyota had same problem, battery & brake light stayed on, the float switch on the reservoir was bad, but we slightly overfilled the tank and as long as the fluid is about 1/8'' above the max line, the lights on the dash stayed off. Never know if it could be this simple, but worth a try.

gw2gold 07-08-2012 05:13 PM