Nissanhelp.com Forums

Nissanhelp.com Forums (https://x.nissanhelp.com/forums/)
-   Frontier (https://x.nissanhelp.com/forums/frontier/)
-   -   FYI: High oil pressure. Don't assume anything (https://x.nissanhelp.com/forums/frontier/17062-fyi-high-oil-pressure-dont-assume-anything.html)

rkmengineering 12-09-2010 09:28 AM

FYI: High oil pressure. Don't assume anything

My oil pressure gauge maxed out so I assumed it was a bad oil pressure sending unit. I attached a mechanical pressure gauge to double check the values and found that it was registering between 80 and 120 psi when cold (10W40 oil used). Thinking that I had a stuck regulator in the oil pump, I attempted to free it up by reving the engine. I was going to pull the pan anyway so I did not mind blowing an "O" ring or two. Well, nothing blew. It turns out that it was a bad sending unit and my mechanical test gauge was also not reading accurately (checked it to another gauge). Most importantly, found out that parts stores wanted $85 for an aftermarket sending unit. The dealer OEM was $26. Remember, "assumptions" is the Mother of all f......ps.

have a safe and Happy Holiday

Mattathesis 12-10-2010 01:51 AM

Hey rkengineering, your username wouldn't have anything to do with RK2 engineering would it?

rkmengineering 12-10-2010 07:44 AM

Sorry, not related. What does RK2 specialize in?

Mattathesis 12-10-2010 09:21 AM

Freshwater and marine
filtration systems for aquaculture, public aquariums and large scale (pun intended) ornamental fish wholesalers and breeders industry.

tonyreedo 11-20-2012 09:37 AM

The oil gauge is actually goes up when I accelerate.
My mechanic tells me there's a release valve that is stuck. He changed the oil (which was thick) and added a detergent to help the valve release. I've been driving it now for about 4 days without much change.

I'm wondering if there's any other work around.
Estimate for replacing is 1500.

Please advise.

rkmengineering 11-20-2012 10:27 AM

oil pressure

does the gauge peg or max out when you accelerate and did the mechanic attach and measure the actual oil pressure? If so, what where the meausrements. In my case, my gauge was maxing out, when I replaced the sending unit, everything was back to normal.

keep us posted

rkmengineering

jlg2002 11-20-2012 12:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tonyreedo (Post 84290)
The oil gauge is actually goes up when I accelerate.
My mechanic tells me there's a release valve that is stuck. He changed the oil (which was thick) and added a detergent to help the valve release. I've been driving it now for about 4 days without much change.

I'm wondering if there's any other work around.
Estimate for replacing is 1500.

Please advise.

I second RKM's comment completely. My oil pressure at idle is just above the lower line and then immediately moves to a little over half way upward as the engine speed increases - it does this almost immediately upon throttle up.

Be aware that on the V6, the oil pump has the relief valve in it and IMO, if he's quoting $1500 to pull the upper oil pan and change the regulator valve and springs, I'd look for another mechanic. See section LU in the FSM for more detail.

After I did what RKM suggests, I would also add Sea foam, Justice bros, ATF fluid or some kind of oil flush product per can directions in the crank case to thin the oil, change the oil and the oil filter, and install 5w30 oil before i'd drop the pan to replace the oil relief valve.