Nissanhelp.com Forums

Nissanhelp.com Forums (https://x.nissanhelp.com/forums/)
-   Frontier (https://x.nissanhelp.com/forums/frontier/)
-   -   Install Harness for 7 pin trailer and electric brake control (https://x.nissanhelp.com/forums/frontier/16018-install-harness-7-pin-trailer-electric-brake-control.html)

marvie 08-29-2010 12:40 PM

Install Harness for 7 pin trailer and electric brake control

Hello all ..I am a "NEW" member here so hope I have things correct .
2008 Frontier 4wd Crewcab. I have purchased the electric brake sub harness and the 7 pin wiring harness from the Nissan dealer ... Very little instructions in the packages . I presently have the 4 pin trailer harness installed .Question ...Do I need to pull the passenger side panel off to change or add relays for the 7 pin harness? Parts man at dealership was unsure and technicians were unavailable at the time .
Also the electrical brake sub harness ... I assume it is connected under the dash ....I see only one empty connector on the truck ....can I also assume that that is where it goes ? The brake controller is Accu trac 80510 by tekonsha ...On their website they indicate NOT to hook up wires by matching colour.....they give a cross reference chart ... from OEM harness to their controller harness ....any one have problems with this matching ?
Is it recommended to disconnect the battery cable while doing these hook ups ??
Thank in advance ....much appreciated and am sure this will be a regular site that i come to ...Love the Frontier

Marvie

mpe235 08-30-2010 02:40 AM

The wiring and relays in the passenger kick panel should be the same for either harness. Just install the rear portion. When you get done just check to make sure you have 12 volts at the pin in the connector. If you don't you should just need to install a relay in the existing harness in the kick panel. The brake controller plugs in under the dash. There should only be one connector that it can plug into. Be sure to follow the diagram supplied with the brake controller to wire it to the nissan plug. The colors are not always the same. There is no need to disconnect the battery.

marvie 08-30-2010 08:13 AM

Thanks mpe235.. just wanted to verify my thoughts ...

Ken in SWVA 07-28-2012 08:51 PM

2012 Pathfinder 12v not at pin connector

Quote:

Originally Posted by mpe235 (Post 57278)
The wiring and relays in the passenger kick panel should be the same for either harness. Just install the rear portion. When you get done just check to make sure you have 12 volts at the pin in the connector. If you don't you should just need to install a relay in the existing harness in the kick panel. The brake controller plugs in under the dash. There should only be one connector that it can plug into. Be sure to follow the diagram supplied with the brake controller to wire it to the nissan plug. The colors are not always the same. There is no need to disconnect the battery.

There is no power to my 12v pin in the connector. Is there a needed relay for the '12 Pathfinder? The trailer brakes work fine, but no 12 v.

ab1748 08-11-2012 09:31 AM

Under the hood there is a small black box that contains three holes. one labeled trailer 1, trailer 2, and coolant pump. trailer 2 needs a relay plugged into it to have 12volt power to the rear of your vehicle. Read this post. I put some different instructions on the end of the post but there are some part numbers for your local automotive store that might be of some help financially.

http://x.nissanhelp.com/forums/diy-p...athfinder.html

Ken in SWVA 08-12-2012 05:05 PM

That is the answer I needed. I guess I just go to the parts department and get the relay and hopefully, I'm good to go. I saw clearly where it is marked "trailer 2" as you said. Thanks again, Ken

Ken in SWVA 08-13-2012 04:54 PM

I got the brown relay from the parts department today and plugged it in Trailer #2; and as you said, the 12v is now hot. My previous vehicle used a 10 gauge wire and the harness wire seems pretty small. I wonder what that 12v wire actually handles. Is it enough to activate the brakes if the breakaway engages? Is it enough to maintain the trailer battery charge level? Thanks again for solving my problem!

ab1748 08-16-2012 03:19 PM

No problem man. The brakes engage on the breakaway by using the power from the battery on your trailer. It wont matter about the 12 volt supply line coming from your vehicle at that point.

Ken in SWVA 08-16-2012 05:17 PM

Does the 12v line maintain battery level in the trailer? I understand that it absolutely will not charge the battery, right? Ken

ab1748 08-16-2012 06:07 PM

Wont charge it much due to the low amperage but should maintain it while towing. Go to harbor freight tools and pick you up one of those seven to ten dollar battery trickle chargers or battery tenders. Just leave it on or put it on a timer.

jlg2002 09-04-2012 12:39 PM

Great info from AB1748.
I just wanted to chime in a state my 05 KC Frontier LE does not have the same fuses under the dash and the relay box up in the engine compt also looks different than the photo's shown. There was also two brown and 1 blue relay in it already from the factory.

mpe235 09-04-2012 02:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jlg2002 (Post 82110)
Great info from AB1748.
I just wanted to chime in a state my 05 KC Frontier LE does not have the same fuses under the dash and the relay box up in the engine compt also looks different than the photo's shown. There was also two brown and 1 blue relay in it already from the factory.

On the frontiers the relays are in the passenger side kick panel, not under the hood.

jlg2002 09-05-2012 12:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mpe235 (Post 82114)
On the frontiers the relays are in the passenger side kick panel, not under the hood.

Yep that was kinda my point as there is a difference between the Frontier and the Pathfinder. Although I have two relays up in the under-hood panel they're not the tow relays.

My 2005 FSM shows the relays under the hood but it calls out two different connector numbers for the same relays. E227 & E228 in the wiring diagram for the tow relays vs E140 & E148.

we both know the E227 and 228 relays are the ones installed by the "kit" in the wiring in the r/h kick-panel and I have no clue where the E140 and 148 relays are and at this point assume this is a typo.:peace:

mpe235 09-05-2012 03:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jlg2002 (Post 82148)
Yep that was kinda my point as there is a difference between the Frontier and the Pathfinder. Although I have two relays up in the under-hood panel they're not the tow relays.

My 2005 FSM shows the relays under the hood but it calls out two different connector numbers for the same relays. E227 & E228 in the wiring diagram for the tow relays vs E140 & E148.

we both know the E227 and 228 relays are the ones installed by the "kit" in the wiring in the r/h kick-panel and I have no clue where the E140 and 148 relays are and at this point assume this is a typo.:peace:

I think the manual is wrong. They show the diagrams for the pathfinder in the xterra manual. The xterra and frontier have the same set up.

Ken in SWVA 09-05-2012 05:01 PM

When I was trying to figure this out, a Nissan technician (aka mechanic par excellence) pointed out that relay is under the hood on the 2012 (after not finding it behind the kick panel).