Nissanhelp.com Forums

Nissanhelp.com Forums (https://x.nissanhelp.com/forums/)
-   Altima (https://x.nissanhelp.com/forums/altima/)
-   -   '06 Altima engine or transmission speed sensor? (https://x.nissanhelp.com/forums/altima/15847-06-altima-engine-transmission-speed-sensor.html)

DEFCON1 08-09-2010 07:07 AM

'06 Altima engine or transmission speed sensor?

My wife's 2006 Altima 2.5L just started showing the check engine light. She mentioned that it kinda "lost power" for a brief second or two while driving (this happened several seperate times).

So, I took it up to Advaced Auto Parts and had the OBD test ran and the employee told me that it showed two codes; one for the crankshaft position sensor, and one for the "transmission speed sensor" (I didn't write the code # down, will post as soon as I can retest). On the way home from the parts store the car died in traffic, but I was able to get it to restart after a couple of minutes.

I went ahead and bought the crank shaft position sensor and replaced it (light is still on). I've looked through to manual and several websites, and I haven't came across anything called a "transmission speed sensor", I've seen a lot of mention of a "engine/vehicle speed sensor". Could this be the sensor that the parts guy was talking about?

NissanTech 08-09-2010 11:25 AM

1 Attachment(s)
I'm not sure what code you are talking about or transmission speed sensor, but I think is the "Revolution Sensor". See attached diagram. I hope that helps.

DEFCON1 08-09-2010 12:23 PM

Thanks... I will look into the revolution sensor. I'm going to get it scanned again this evening, and this time I'll remember to write down the code #'s!

DEFCON1 08-10-2010 05:07 AM

FYI: The problem seems to be fixed.

The 2 codes showing were P0335 (Crankshaft Position Sensor/circuit malfunction) & P0725 (Engine speed input/circuit malfunction). As I mentioned, I replaced the crankshaft postion sensor. Here's a good DIY guide w/pics that I found. DIY Crankshaft Position Sensor CPS 2006 2.5 Altima - Nissan Forums: Nissan Enthusiast Forum I would add one piece of advice to this guide... plug the harness to the sensor BEFORE mounting the sensor to the engine block. That lil' harness clip can be stubborn once the sensor is fixed to the motor!

After clearing the codes I drove the car for almost two hours with no misfires or check engine lights. I'm assuming the P0725 was associated with the malfunctioning CPS.

ebnj 08-17-2010 06:24 PM

Similar Problem - PO 725 Code on Altima

2006 Altima - 80,000 miles. Over the past 4 weeks while driving, I experience random/infrequent surges or slowdowns that feel like transmission slipping. Lasts only 2-3 seconds at a time - tach needle goes up or down - but car keeps going. 'Check engine' light came on yestrerday; local STS chain computer diagnostic: code PO725 (engine speed input circuit). Had extensive servicing 3 weeks ago (1st ever and nothing out of the ordinary for a car with 80k miles, incl. new battery). Can anyone advise how serious this problem is and what kind of repair is required/advised? Hate to admit, but I'm a chick who knows little about cars and would love advice from those who do before I subject myself to the Nissan dealer (ugh!) or local mechanic. (Knowledge is power ;-)

mpe235 08-18-2010 02:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ebnj (Post 56946)
2006 Altima - 80,000 miles. Over the past 4 weeks while driving, I experience random/infrequent surges or slowdowns that feel like transmission slipping. Lasts only 2-3 seconds at a time - tach needle goes up or down - but car keeps going. 'Check engine' light came on yestrerday; local STS chain computer diagnostic: code PO725 (engine speed input circuit). Had extensive servicing 3 weeks ago (1st ever and nothing out of the ordinary for a car with 80k miles, incl. new battery). Can anyone advise how serious this problem is and what kind of repair is required/advised? Hate to admit, but I'm a chick who knows little about cars and would love advice from those who do before I subject myself to the Nissan dealer (ugh!) or local mechanic. (Knowledge is power ;-)

You need a crankshaft position sensor.

DEFCON1 08-18-2010 05:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mpe235 (Post 56953)
You need a crankshaft position sensor.

Agreed...

Find your self a nice guy and give him the instructions that I posted in the link above and you're looking at about $30 for the price of the part. The dealer will cost over $300.

FYI: this problem CAN leave you stranded if it is not fixed.

mpe235 08-18-2010 02:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DEFCON1 (Post 56957)
Agreed...

Find your self a nice guy and give him the instructions that I posted in the link above and you're looking at about $30 for the price of the part. The dealer will cost over $300.

FYI: this problem CAN leave you stranded if it is not fixed.

We get about $140.00 installed at the dealer.

ebnj 08-18-2010 05:02 PM

Thanks MPE235 and DEFCON1 - this info is very helpful. Will let you know the outcome...