Nissanhelp.com Forums

Nissanhelp.com Forums (https://x.nissanhelp.com/forums/)
-   Pathfinder (https://x.nissanhelp.com/forums/pathfinder/)
-   -   2005 Pathfinder Vibration (https://x.nissanhelp.com/forums/pathfinder/15543-2005-pathfinder-vibration.html)

k_cobraii 07-09-2010 10:29 PM

2005 Pathfinder Vibration

I've searched the forums and I'm not quite sure what the problem is with my Pathfinder. It has a vibration in the steering wheel and cabin area, but only during acceleration. I thought I had the coolant/transmission problem but after checking both, the coolant is still bright green and the atf is red like it should be. The Pathy is two wheel drive and it shifts perfect but like I said it has a vibration like I have a flat tire only during acceleration. It stops as soon as I let off the gas. Would a bad U-joint cause this, or what could be the problem? I appreciate any and all help. Thanks!

dryart 07-10-2010 01:52 PM

a bad u-joint or poor wheel balance, among other things.........
how many miles are on your Pathfinder?
tires original? worn evenly?

k_cobraii 07-10-2010 05:39 PM

a bad u-joint or poor wheel balance, among other things.........
how many miles are on your Pathfinder?
tires original? worn evenly?

Thanks for the reply Dryart. I have 85,000 miles on it. Tires are not original and the back driver's side tire is more worn than the others. I thought of the tires and the wheel balance being off, but I was thinking the vibration would still be present even while letting off the accelerator. One other point that I thought of today. About 2 weeks prior to this vibration issue, I towed a 2000 Honda Accord with a set of tow dollies for about 165 miles. But not once did the Pathfinder act up or strain one bit the whole time. Not sure if that has any bearing on my problem?

dryart 07-10-2010 06:08 PM

probably the least invasive thing to do would be to check the u-joints very carefully. they aren't known for longevity.
also, you may have lost a balance weight, which could set up a new vibration suddenly.
if the u-joints are good, maybe do a tire rotation & balance the wheels.
BTW, if you haven't done the radiator/transmission cooler bypass yet..............

dryart 07-10-2010 06:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by k_cobraii (Post 55618)
I towed a 2000 Honda Accord with a set of tow dollies for about 165 miles. But not once did the Pathfinder act up or strain one bit the whole time. Not sure if that has any bearing on my problem?

not likely, well within towing capacity limits

k_cobraii 07-11-2010 08:21 AM

Thanks for the tips and your help Dryart. I'll check your suggestions and I'm certainly doing the by-pass of the cooler. I'll post back with any progress as soon as I find something out!

markcusimano 07-12-2010 12:56 PM

I had the same problem with my 2005 pathfinder. I finally had to bring it in to the shop and have the head mech ride along with me. He knew as soon as i hit the gas it was the u-joint and nothing else. As long as it was only with giving it gas not braking.

stuygang 07-13-2010 03:19 AM

I have the same problem, when i hit 50mph the front starts to vibrate. I thought i had a bad tireso i put 4 new ones on. Still have the problem, any ideas?

WheatBread 07-13-2010 04:43 AM

u joint

mpe235 07-13-2010 03:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by WheatBread (Post 55707)
u joint

I agree u-joint. They are very common.

k_cobraii 07-13-2010 04:48 PM

Well I just had new tires put on yesterday (needed them anyway) and the vibration is still there. I did a quick inspection of the u-joints but just by looking at them they still look intact. So I'm assuming that you can't really tell if they're bad just by looking at them? I have seen some where the end caps have actually came off, but mine are still there. Just a side note, nothing seemed loose when I shook the drive shaft. But the u-joints are fairly cheap at local auto parts stores so I'm going to change mine. I'll keep everyone posted on the progress. Thanks for the help so far!

stuygang 07-22-2010 05:47 AM

Thanks everyone, replaced 4 u joints and vibration gone. Also replaced the radiator before i have that problem.:smile_1:

k_cobraii 07-22-2010 04:08 PM

Sorry it took so long for the update, but it was the rear u-joint. Replaced the u-joints and by-passed the trans cooler before that rears it's ugly head. Thanks for the help!

BACARD1BB 11-18-2010 04:52 AM

It's a a bad drive shaft and it's a non-maintainance part, which means it needs to be replaced and you might as well do both of them, the front and the rear. I just had them done in the summer and it is a common problem that is why the keep those shafts on the shelves. I started with the fronts and 2 weeks later I had to do the rear.