Nissanhelp.com Forums

Nissanhelp.com Forums (https://x.nissanhelp.com/forums/)
-   Altima (https://x.nissanhelp.com/forums/altima/)
-   -   Engine Speed Sensor P0725 TCM....help (https://x.nissanhelp.com/forums/altima/13820-engine-speed-sensor-p0725-tcm-help.html)

mcoupe 01-02-2010 10:48 AM

Engine Speed Sensor P0725 TCM....help

Nissan guys....

I did a search, and found that a lot of people have the P0725 code, but also the cam/crank sensor. I didn't find too much info about fixing the Engine Speed Sensor....we were hoping you could help....

We have a 2002 Nissan that we are having problems with.

We bought the car used with 70k on it, so we don't know the total history of the car. So I am not sure if it had any of the recalls done.

The car quit running and wouldn't start at all, so we replaced the crankshaft, and camshaft position sensors. Well the car starts now (but not like it should...it turns over alot), but has little to no power at lower RPMS, and shifts hard at times from first to second.

We just came back from Autozone and the SES light came out to be P0725 engine speed sensor. The guy at Autozone mentioned that we probably need to remove the tranny and replace the TCM.

Do we need to remove the tranny/transaxle to get to the speed sensor, or is it externally mounted? If it is on the outside, can we see it to check the connections?

Also, since we replaced the cam/crank sensors does the ECU need to be reprogramed? Would this be the problem with the car starting poorly? We did make the mistake of buying NON OEM sensors.

But our main concern is fixing the tranny (P0725) engine speed sensor

Thanks for any help!

-Jason

mpe235 01-02-2010 12:31 PM

You did replace 2 sensors right? The cam sensor and the crank sensor? Usually you will find oil in the connector for the crank sensor this needs to be cleaned out or the sensor will not read correctly.
The p0725 code is from the crank sensor. It measures engine speed not transmission speed.
Also you will want to put the updated sensor in for the crank sensor. The aftermarket ones are the defective ones that Nissan stopped selling.

mcoupe 01-02-2010 01:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mpe235 (Post 48747)
You did replace 2 sensors right? The cam sensor and the crank sensor? Usually you will find oil in the connector for the crank sensor this needs to be cleaned out or the sensor will not read correctly.
The p0725 code is from the crank sensor. It measures engine speed not transmission speed.
Also you will want to put the updated sensor in for the crank sensor. The aftermarket ones are the defective ones that Nissan stopped selling.

Yes sir, I did replace 2 sensors. One was easy to get to, and one was in the side of the block down below and harder to get to. If I remember correctly. It's been awhile....maybe 6 months.

I do not remember if there was oil on the sensor, but this makes sense and I know I didn't clean out the hole.

The P0725 sheet that autozone gave us reads....

Engine Speed Signal Circuit
Probable cause

aa1. Open or short circuit
aa2. Poor electrical connection
aa3. Faulty, TCM

I was figured this was causing the hard shifting from 1st to 2nd...the TCM.

I will be purchasing a new OEM sensor for the crank from Nissan, and cleaning out the hole.

I figured that this was the problem....where exactly is this, on the transaxle?

2002 Nissan Datsun Altima 4-2488 2.5L DOHC Speed Sensor

http://i56.photobucket.com/albums/g1...ssanaltima.jpg

Thanks so much for your help!!

-Jason

mpe235 01-02-2010 01:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mcoupe (Post 48754)
Yes sir, I did replace 2 sensors. One was easy to get to, and one was in the side of the block down below and harder to get to. If I remember correctly. It's been awhile....maybe 6 months.

I do not remember if there was oil on the sensor, but this makes sense and I know I didn't clean out the hole.

The P0725 sheet that autozone gave us reads....

Engine Speed Signal Circuit
Probable cause

aa1. Open or short circuit
aa2. Poor electrical connection
aa3. Faulty, TCM

I was figured this was causing the hard shifting from 1st to 2nd...the TCM.

I will be purchasing a new OEM sensor for the crank from Nissan, and cleaning out the hole.

I figured that this was the problem....where exactly is this, on the transaxle?

2002 Nissan Datsun Altima 4-2488 2.5L DOHC Speed Sensor

http://i56.photobucket.com/albums/g1...ssanaltima.jpg

Thanks so much for your help!!

-Jason

That sensor is on the back side of the transmission but that will not give you a p0725 code. If that sensor was malfunctioning you would have a problem with your speedometer. If you did the sensor 6 months ago with an aftermarket part it is probably bad again. When you replace it with the oem sensor you want to clean out the electrical connector that connects to the sensor.

mcoupe 01-02-2010 02:01 PM

Thanks!!! :grin:

-Jason

Busters 10-16-2016 04:59 AM

I had p0725 code and 4WD light flashed 13 times last year. The dealership changed crank sensor and revolution sensor the problem went away then it happened again this year after their warranty expired. Had both sensors changed again codes never went away. Found the problem, it was aftermarket remote starter. Once i unplugged the unit all codes disappeared and my 04 pathy runs great again