Nissanhelp.com Forums

Nissanhelp.com Forums (https://x.nissanhelp.com/forums/)
-   Sentra (https://x.nissanhelp.com/forums/sentra/)
-   -   Rear defroster not working (https://x.nissanhelp.com/forums/sentra/13771-rear-defroster-not-working.html)

CallMeColt 12-27-2009 06:11 PM

Rear defroster not working

Hello all,
I am not sure how long ago it actually stopped working, but my rear defroster on my 2000 Sentra is not working. Since winter is now in the Northeast, it is much needed! Just noticed it was not working a few weeks ago.

I have checked the connection to the window and the fuse for it. The switch light turns on (amber color) and I hear a distinct click behind the dash when turning it on/off as well.

Any ideas anyone?

Thanks!

airlinepilot 12-28-2009 04:27 AM

Try to remove the relay for the defroster and swap it with another one to check if its bad or not. The relay is on the L/H close to the driver left foot, on the floor. When you remove the cover, you will see 2 relays, one for the fuel pump and one for the defroster. The relay is around 10$ and might be bad sometimes. Did you scrape your window from the inside of the car? Sometimes it brakes the element making an open circuit. Look carefully at the element to see if it is broken or discontinue. Hope it helps!

Happy Holidays!

faja 12-28-2009 04:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by airlinepilot (Post 48531)
Did you scrape your window from the inside of the car? Sometimes it brakes the element making an open circuit. Look carefully at the element to see if it is broken or discontinue. Hope it helps!

Happy Holidays!

Yes, I would agree this is the more likely scenario......

CallMeColt 12-28-2009 08:14 PM

I will take a look, but I never scraped the inside of the window, but I supposes it is possible on one of my road trips something damaged them when put on the window sill back there.

After that, I will try replacing the relay.

Is this a dealer only part or do you think it can be gotten at Pep Boys or something like that?

airlinepilot 12-29-2009 08:59 AM

it will be probably easier to find a new relay at your dealer to get the excat same fitment as original, and cheap too. But look from the inside of your car to see if the defroster element isnt damaged before doing the relay swap. You might save yourself from buying a relay for nothing. There is a kit to fix open or damaged defroster element at your car shop.

faja 12-29-2009 09:42 AM

Inspect the element/grid as suggested and check the wiring terminals at the sides of the rear window - there is normally one on each side, some might only have it on one side. Use a multimeter and see if you're getting power to the terminal when you push the defroster button. If you're getting power there, then most likely one or more of your defroster lines has a break in it.

If no power, then it's either fuse, switch, wiring or the relay - you said you see the LED light on the switch and hear the click of the relay - so check the wiring from the back window all the way back to the relay or in-dash fusebox. Could be a PITA as I believe they are run under the headliner...... Also check your engine compartment's fusebox and see if there are any broken fuses there.

ritter 12-29-2009 03:36 PM

The relay is under $20 ,You can order it from any parts store.[6 pin ,brown I think]
Most of the time it's a broken wire or the window element /wire that can be repair with a kit. If you use a mirror and a flash light you can see the break.