Nissanhelp.com Forums

Nissanhelp.com Forums (https://x.nissanhelp.com/forums/)
-   Maxima (https://x.nissanhelp.com/forums/maxima/)
-   -   96 Maxima - O2 Sensor Code P0130 - Bank 1 Sensor 1 (https://x.nissanhelp.com/forums/maxima/12866-96-maxima-o2-sensor-code-p0130-bank-1-sensor-1-a.html)

99Frontier96Maxima 09-26-2009 11:00 PM

96 Maxima - O2 Sensor Code P0130 - Bank 1 Sensor 1

Hello

My 96 maxima (V-6, 5 Speed Manual) has had the SES (check engine) light on for a couple years now. It is almost time for emissions inspection.

This is the code that I get when pull the codes.

It is safe to say that I should replace this O2 sensor?

Where is this sensor located? Any tips or tricks to replacing this sensor? Should I use an OEM sensor?

Thanks for the help.

99Frontier96Maxima 10-04-2009 08:13 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Since no one else will reply to this topic, I will. I ended up replacing the sensor myself. Bank 1 Sensor 1 is the sensor on the front of the engine, also referred to as "left". Nothing about its orientation has to do with left, but is what the diagram says.

This sensor is on the back side of the of the lower part of the exhaust manifold, I was finally able to get it off with a crescent wrench. It is a tricky maneuver but I got. The sensor is more or less plug n play. It plugs in on the front of the front valve cover near the top. The wire is about 16" long or so. When you go to purchase you can either buy one with the exact plug on it and the cable mounting points, or you can buy a universal one without a connector or cable ties attached. The latter is about $20 cheaper. I purchased mine at Schucks, both plugs that they offered are Bosch (OEM I think) I chose to go with the exact fit model because of time constraints. You could easily purchase the cheaper one and use butt connectors and splice on the plug from the old one onto the new one. I then drove back to Schucks and borrowed their OBDII scan tool and reset of the code, and have not had any problems since.

Most people already know this, but the big chain parts stores will usually match prices of competitors. I called up a local store (that didn't have the part in stock) they were selling it for $11 cheaper. I went to Schucks and they matched the price.

On a side note, The Bank 1 Sensor 2 is located on the back side of the engine on the other manifold. You can only reach this from underneath the car. I have ramps so I was able to drive the car up on ramps and get under the car. It would be slightly easier to replace if you had to. It is referred to as "right", the only thing right about is that it is on the right side of the rear exhaust manifold.

I have included a diagram that I found somewhere else, I am not sure why its not on this website. It should the system is ok detail.

99Frontier96Maxima 10-06-2009 10:48 PM

Previous Information Incorrect

1 Attachment(s)
It would seem that the information that I posted previously was not totally correct.

My check engine light came on again a couple days later with the exact same code (P0130, Bank 1 Sensor 1). I then asked a mechanic about the the location of that sensor. He told me that Bank 1 always corresponds to the side of the engine with Cylinder #1 in it. I then did a search for firing order of this engine. I came across this list of Nissan engines:
1996 Nissan Firing Orders
I have attached the image of the firing order from this website. Logically it shows where the front of the engine is, and it is logical to assume that the transmission would always be attached to the back of the block. The transmission in a maxima is on the drivers side of the of car (left). Therefore Bank 1 Sensor 1 is on the back manifold between the firewall and the engine block. Fortunately this one is relatively easier to get to. I have not swapped it yet, but I plan on doing so. I'll post what happens.

micfilart 01-27-2010 08:35 PM

same problem

i have the same problem. change both o2 sensors.. one after the catalytic the rear 02sensor. and changed the front one.. but my engine light did still turned on. i was wondering if i changed the wrong one. is it the one in the middle.. behind the engine?

indrasute 02-01-2011 09:28 PM

Location of O2 sensor

1 Attachment(s)
This is taken from http://maxima.theowensfamily.com/tsb/NTB02-051a.pdf

I attached a snapshot from the federal 2000 maxima where it labels all the location of the three oxygen sensors. I need to replace one of the oxygen sensor on bank 1 sensor 1 on my maxima 98 myself. I assume that it is similar with this 2000 maxima.

What do you think?

bobflood 02-02-2011 07:09 AM

Bank 1 is at the rear of the engine compartment; Bank 2 is at the front. Sensor 1 in either case is the sensor before the cat; Sensor 2 is after the cat. If there is only one sensor after the cat, it is usually identified as Bank 1 Sensor 2. The drawings use the "LH" and "RH" terminology because if the engine was mounted "fore and aft" (like all engines used to be when most cars were rear wheel drive) insteasd of transversely (as in most front wheel drive vehicles), Bank 1 would be on the right (pass) side and Bank 2 would be on the left (driver) side of the vehicle.

DCARLTON 02-02-2011 10:40 AM

+1 bobflood.

Absolutely correct!

I have also seen situations where the autoparts store will incorrectly label right and left of an engine and I have corrected them (last time was on a coil pack). Front is right, back is left.

My experience is that the one at the firewall, the back one or the left one is more difficult to change as it is in a very small confined area and one must be sure the exhaust is somewhat cool or you will burn yourself.

The front one (or right one) isn't as bad and the one at the cat is even easier (except for tracing the plug end).

fatboy98maxima 08-12-2012 02:43 PM

my car just came up with this same code going to change the sensor