Nissanhelp.com Forums

Nissanhelp.com Forums (https://x.nissanhelp.com/forums/)
-   Sentra (https://x.nissanhelp.com/forums/sentra/)
-   -   How to change belts on 2004 1.8 l sentra (https://x.nissanhelp.com/forums/sentra/12862-how-change-belts-2004-1-8-l-sentra.html)

NSENTRA04 09-26-2009 08:03 AM

How to change belts on 2004 1.8 l sentra

Actually have two problems
1. Tried to change belts yesterday-but cannot loosen back belt. Loosened the adjuster bolt, loosened the pivot bolt underneath, still will not loosen up. Why?
2. Drove car last on at night, car would not drive well after 10 minutes, tried to stall, no power on acceleration,barely got it back home. Looked at it this morning, drives ok-only drove it for 10 minutes, but engine light is on.

Help

streamcast 09-27-2009 05:26 PM

Have vehicle scanned for codes, poss Mass airflow meter, crank/cam sensor, fuel pressure issue.
As for the belts:
Power steering bolt on top of pump and 1 below just above axle, the the adjust. Sometimes the pump is hard move depending on the amount of corrosion.

NSENTRA04 09-28-2009 08:26 AM

how to change belts on 2004 nissan sentra 1.8 liter engine

This is a reply to answer.
I finally got bad belt to loosen-I had carefully sprayed WD40 on metal guide and let sit for a day. Then did same that I did the day before-and now it loosened up the way it should.
I had the engine checked at Autozone-and the meter said it is a TPS problem. But I have been able to drive the car and cannot mimic the problem since. I will take to mechanic to diagnose again and to clear check engine light and see if it comes back again.
Thanks again.
By the way-how much play (indentation) should the new belt have? I tightened it with 1/2 inch indentation.

bhawk 09-29-2009 06:04 AM

If your talking the power steering belt that also drives the water pump, I would say 1\2 deflection is about right. Remember, the water pump has only one bearing on it and if you overtighten that belt, it will put too much strain on the water pump bearing, causing premature failure. The water pump and power steering pump don't offer great resistance, so I would leave it at 1\2 inch. But check the tension after about a week of driving, because new belts do stretch a bit.

NSENTRA04 09-30-2009 09:57 AM

Sentra 1.8L belt troubles

I will check the belts in one week to see if still at 1/2 inch deflection.
I talked with my mechanic about the "check engine light". He ran his diagnostic machine and it said the same thing as Autozone. He could not see anything wrong so he cleared it and said to come back in if "check engine light' comes back on. He thinks it-just as he calls it-"hiccuped". But if light comes back on, then further inspection is needed.
Thanks for the help.

bhawk 10-01-2009 05:38 AM

I just pulled out the service manual for the exact specs on the belt tensions for my 2003 sentra with 1.8 engine.

New generator belt (with air) is 4.5 to 5.0 mm or .177 to .197 inch deflection. Used generator belt is 5.3 to 5.7 mm or .209 to .244 inch. You can see they tell you to tighten a new belt more than a used belt, presumably after a bit of driving that new belt will loosen to their "used belt" specs.

New power steering oil pump belt is 3.9 to 4.4mm or .154 to .173 inch.
Used power steering belt is 4.4 to 4.9mm or .173 to .193 inch.

So, these specs lean to a tighter belt than 1\2 deflection, they indicate more like only a 1\4 inch deflection.
I got these specs from this website, the downloadable pages of a service manual. They are under heading "Engine Maintenance" "Service Data and Specifications" at page MA-39. Check it out for your year and engine size.