Nissanhelp.com Forums

Nissanhelp.com Forums (https://x.nissanhelp.com/forums/)
-   Altima (https://x.nissanhelp.com/forums/altima/)
-   -   P0345 - Camshaft Position Sensor (https://x.nissanhelp.com/forums/altima/12384-p0345-camshaft-position-sensor.html)

itsjustmewarren 08-06-2009 08:18 AM

P0345 - Camshaft Position Sensor

Hey,

So my car (2003 Altima 3.5L SE) has been having trouble turning over as of late and has stalled on me once, the SES light came on, I used the blink code to determine its a P0345 code which leads to a bad Camshaft Position Sensor.

Is there any way I can determine which side the problem is happening, I have called around and the best price I can get is around 100 bucks for each and would rather not replace both if I can get away with it.

Thanks!

itsjustmewarren 08-08-2009 10:42 AM

with a little more research I found this:

The front of the engine is pointed toward the right fender. The firewall side of the engine is the "right" bank or #1. The radiator side is the "left" bank or #2. Also, according to the service manual there is a cam pos. sensor on each bank.

so that would point to my problem being with the left bank

Nissan OBD-II Trouble Code P0345

crankshaft 08-09-2009 11:44 AM

I don't know how to tell which one is bad, but if both cam sensors are the same, buy one & replace the easiest one. If the problem goes away great; if not swap the sensor to the other bank.

streamcast 08-09-2009 03:12 PM

These sensors are different I do believe. I would make a good guess and say the cam sensor at fault is the bank 1 sensor which is on back head on drivers side. I make this assumption because P0340 is usally for bank 1 cam sensor.

Roccobro 10-31-2009 02:32 PM

What was the outcome Warren?

Justin

itsjustmewarren 11-01-2009 08:15 AM

it was bank 1 cam shaft sensor, the repair was pretty simple to do, I kept looking on the front of the engine bay but its actually left of the fuse box in the engine bay, pretty easy to find if you know where your looking.

Roccobro 11-02-2009 12:16 AM

Perfect! :clap_1:

Buying the parts tomorrow.

Justin

streamcast 11-05-2009 04:35 PM

Was the sensor replaced on the head closest to the rad or firewall?

infiniti master 11-05-2009 05:06 PM

the sensors where recalled on some vin ranges so u know

Roccobro 11-07-2009 06:10 PM

I could not find any of that information on the recall. Would have been nice as the sensors are $75 in my neck of the woods.

The sensor for that code is by the fuse box... bank closer to the radiator.

Fixed my problem, but replaced both sensors because the lady boss said to! :biggrin2:

Justin

streamcast 11-08-2009 04:16 PM

Just for future reference the head closest to the rad is Bank 2, just incase you need to get other parts such as O2 sensors etc.

digitaldxing 11-08-2009 05:09 PM

Recalls go by VIN#. I had major work done for my 03' Altima that now saves me gas!

Site that gives you a list of recalls:
Nissan Recalls -

Check out this post for sensor:

Nissanhelp.com - digitaldxing's Album: 2003 Nissan Altima Crankshaft Position Sensor - Picture

Roccobro 11-08-2009 05:25 PM

Your second link is for 2.5l alti's. Not our 3.5l.

Justin

HotRodWillys 02-14-2011 04:40 PM

P0340; Cam Position Sensor, Bank1

My 3.5 liter Altima was experiencing stalling and hard starting but at no time did the Service Engine Light come on. However, upon connecting my diagnostic analyzer to the ODBII port I received a “PO340; Cam Position Sensor, Bank 1” failure code. Replacing the sensor fixed the problem and cleared the code.

To replace the sensor you need a few tips: First, there are 2 Cam position sensors on the V6. These are located by on the same side as the master cylinder and not on the front of the engine where the belts are. Bank 1 is the side closest to the firewall. The cam position sensors are found on the side of the cylinder heads. Note that both sensors are different and can be distinguished by the connector angle attachment. The Bank 1 sensor has a straight connector while Bank 2 has an angled connector attachment.

To replace the sensor, it is best to spray a lubricant like WD40 into the openings of the connector. The only way to release the connector from the sensor is to push down on the inner portion all the way down before the connector will release. Lubricating the sliding portion of the connector will make it easier to remove. You will break the connector if you remove it any other way! Be patient and she’ll cooperate!

sparves 10-03-2011 08:37 PM

Thank you

After all the guessing games, I finally found the real answer. Thank you HotRodWillys for useful posting.