Nissanhelp.com Forums

Nissanhelp.com Forums (https://x.nissanhelp.com/forums/)
-   Pathfinder (https://x.nissanhelp.com/forums/pathfinder/)
-   -   95 Pathfinder Clutch/Tranny issue? (https://x.nissanhelp.com/forums/pathfinder/1203-95-pathfinder-clutch-tranny-issue.html)

Yogi_12 11-05-2006 01:51 PM

95 Pathfinder Clutch/Tranny issue?

Just helped my 18 yr. old son purchase his 1st vehicle.

5sp. standard 4wd with 230,000km.

Runs great except that at idling, it won't go into gear.....rev the motor up a few times and it will.Pumping clutch numerous times makes no difference. While driving you can upshift and downshift with no problems at all.....quite smooth. If we approach a red light and downshift to 1st gear.....no problem.....if we slip it into neutral......it's a real pain to get it back into gear when light turns green.....matter of fact.....I sat thru a green today trying to get it into gear.....and I've drove standards for 30yr.

Clutch seems good.....doesn't slip. Reservoir is full. I noticed some black oil at front of tranny today....so I checked fluid.....added about 0.5L of mastercraft 80W90 gear oil (Gl4 grade).

I don't think it's the throwout bearing...........as it runs quiet and smooth. My neighbor thinks maybe gears are a little worn.

Anyone have any ideas?

Great site..... I found it today while searching for what kind of tranny fluid.....as I don't even have owners manual.

Thanks

Npath 11-05-2006 09:27 PM

I've had this problem before way back when I owned a 81 Toyota 4x4. Turned out the pressure plate fins were oval, not completely round. Somehow, some of the fins were wearing out.

Put in a new clutch kit and shifted gears without problems.

momud 11-05-2006 09:39 PM

yeah my thoughts are along the same lines as npath. also, the throw out bearing won't make noice necessarily if it's just slightly worn. the clutch job on wd pathfinders is quite a chore.. you may want to run by a tranny shop and see what they say.. some will give you a free estimate.. (in US anyway) good luck and keep us updated.

also, find out if you can if your truck has had the t-belt done as it is called for at 170-180k km. if not sure do it as an insurance.. engine work can be very expensive.

Npath 11-06-2006 01:13 AM

I, or my brother and I, put in a new clutch on my 87 King Cab 4x4 six years ago and that took 8 hours of grunting. 4 hours taking it out, 4 hours putting it all back in. It was sooo bad, we considered just taking out the engine and replace it from there. We didn't have an engine hoist because someone borrowed it.

My Jeep CJ7 only took 4 hours total to replace the clutch. :)

Yeah, take it to a shop. That would be a excellent advice.

Ken 11-07-2006 01:35 AM

Just a thought but maybe the polite bearing in the back of the crank has sezed

Yogi_12 11-07-2006 02:18 AM

Quick update
I've had 2 mechanics look yesterday.

They don't think it's the clutch or tranny. They think the slave cylinder is not moving quite far enough to engage clutch fully....even though there doesn't appear to be any leaks.

The pushrod from pedal to master cylinder does have some adjustment....so I put a couple turns on it so that it goes a little further into master cylinder.....does seem a little better....but still not quite right yet.

Looking at slave cylinder....and the lever on transmission...that it pushes against. It looks like back of lever has a rivet/fastener on the back side of it. Is the end of pushrod on the slave actually fastened to this lever? Or is there some kind of wear bushing/plate on that lever....that the slave cylinder would push against? If so, maybe it's worn a little...therefore.....lever not moving quite far enough.

I'm thinking I'll order a slave cylinder....which will take several days. I'm hoping that's the problem....but can't be sure. If it needs an actual clutch.....he'll have to park it....as he went way over original budget to aquire this.... and it's not the type of job to tackle in driveway....and I've never tackled anything this big before.....yet I've done timing belts and head gaskets.

Yogi_12 11-19-2006 07:54 AM

Quick update

Ordered new slave cylinder......put it on this morning......world of difference. Took it out for a half hour drive.......stopping frequently & putting in neutral.....went back into gear no problem every single time.

Appears that was indeed the problem.....even though the existing one wasn't leaking and appeared fine.

Thanks to all who responded to my question.

momud 11-19-2006 04:04 PM

:clap: :clap::clap::clap:

Ken 11-19-2006 11:51 PM

Did you reset the clutch rod you moved ?

Yogi_12 11-20-2006 06:23 PM

All I did was undo line....remove two bolts.......bolt new one on...connect line ...bleed it.
I did adjust the threaded stop (pedals)with the elec.switch on it to give me just a little free play at the pedal. I did not touch the threaded pushrod that goes to master cylinder.

Clutch rod?.....are you refering to the little lever that comes out of transmission...that the slave pushes against. If so, how do I adjust? I am not really sure what you are refering to. Please explain.
Thanks

Ken 11-28-2006 12:33 AM

no the one that is threded that goes to the master cylinder but it's OK as you said you did not touch it . There is no adjustment on the clutch rod at the clutch as it is self adjusting ( I Think )