Nissanhelp.com Forums

Nissanhelp.com Forums (https://x.nissanhelp.com/forums/)
-   Murano (https://x.nissanhelp.com/forums/murano/)
-   -   Brakes still squeaking after brake job? (https://x.nissanhelp.com/forums/murano/11872-brakes-still-squeaking-after-brake-job.html)

j_crow 06-16-2009 01:18 PM

Brakes still squeaking after brake job?

I turned the rotors and bought new wagner brake pads from oreilly's - the drivers side will start squeaking after about 10 minutes of driving. The pads have 2 different shims on them, i dont understand why 2 are needed, my xterra only has one. Any ideas? I was going to remove the second shim and see what happens.

mpe235 06-20-2009 11:50 AM

It is very common for aftermarket brake pads to squeek. It will not affect the way the vehicle stops but if you want to get rid of the noise you may need to buy the Nissan pads and shim kit.

JC 07-14-2009 09:49 AM

I am sorry, but this is incorrect.
I have had the brake problem since on mt new 2007 Murano up until now at 31,000miles.
It has turned into a real problem for Nissan and myself. Brakes were completely rebuilt by Nissan and i can only assume they used Nissan parts, and the problem still returns. I have been told several times now that " sorry, nothing more we can do". I have now been forced to make a claim under the "Magnuson-Moss Warrany Act". Tomorrow Nissan are sending a Tech with parts to the local Nissan dealer where the vehicle was purchased 2 years ago, to fit parts to the vehcile and try and overcome this ongoing problem. It is now a case of fix it, or replace it.

mpe235 07-14-2009 03:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JC (Post 42481)
I am sorry, but this is incorrect.
I have had the brake problem since on mt new 2007 Murano up until now at 31,000miles.
It has turned into a real problem for Nissan and myself. Brakes were completely rebuilt by Nissan and i can only assume they used Nissan parts, and the problem still returns. I have been told several times now that " sorry, nothing more we can do". I have now been forced to make a claim under the "Magnuson-Moss Warrany Act". Tomorrow Nissan are sending a Tech with parts to the local Nissan dealer where the vehicle was purchased 2 years ago, to fit parts to the vehcile and try and overcome this ongoing problem. It is now a case of fix it, or replace it.

They are probably installing the shims incorrectly.
The Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act is to protect consumers from deceptive warranty practices. Your claim is under the factory warranty. It has nothing to do with Magnusuon-Moss.

JC 07-15-2009 05:21 AM

Brake noise

Point taken!.
But after so many attempts to repair the problem somebody has to wake upto the fact that maybe we are doing something wrong. But no!
Nissan did what they call a major replace or repair, Shims and so on at around 1500 miles. That seemed to do the job, but after a while the same problem again. Nissan then told me that they had done what is required and could not do anything else. It was then discussed in depth how a new vehicle could be sold with this known problem. I was told that we are very sorry but as stated there is very little can be done about it.
Everytime it went in for a service it was noted that client complained about brake noise. Still nothing done. So after so many attempts and so many failures you tell me that it has nothing to do with Magnuson-Moss Warranty act!
As a consumer having paid $40,000 for a new vehicle, under warranty for 36,000 miles and still having the same problem, and still being told there is nothing we can do about it, i think i have every right to make a claim under this Act.
I tried being Mr. Nice guy and it got me nowhere.
Right or wrong, it has things happening now. Today the Murano is going in to have everything replaced with parts sent to the dealer by Nissan.
This is one Bone this dog is not going to let go!!

mpe235 07-15-2009 04:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JC (Post 42524)
Point taken!.
But after so many attempts to repair the problem somebody has to wake upto the fact that maybe we are doing something wrong. But no!
Nissan did what they call a major replace or repair, Shims and so on at around 1500 miles. That seemed to do the job, but after a while the same problem again. Nissan then told me that they had done what is required and could not do anything else. It was then discussed in depth how a new vehicle could be sold with this known problem. I was told that we are very sorry but as stated there is very little can be done about it.
Everytime it went in for a service it was noted that client complained about brake noise. Still nothing done. So after so many attempts and so many failures you tell me that it has nothing to do with Magnuson-Moss Warranty act!
As a consumer having paid $40,000 for a new vehicle, under warranty for 36,000 miles and still having the same problem, and still being told there is nothing we can do about it, i think i have every right to make a claim under this Act.
I tried being Mr. Nice guy and it got me nowhere.
Right or wrong, it has things happening now. Today the Murano is going in to have everything replaced with parts sent to the dealer by Nissan.
This is one Bone this dog is not going to let go!!

Your case sounds more like a lemon law case than a Magnuson-Moss case.
Lemon Law is for a vehicle that has had several repair attempts that didn't resolve the problem. Maguson-Moss would be more like if Nissan said we are going to void the warranty on your brakes because you have aftermarket wheels on your vehicle. It protects consumers from deceptive practices by the manufacturer so they have to honor the warranty.

I do agree the Muranos do have issues with the brakes squeeking. It is usually corrected with the updated parts that Nissan came out with, IF the tech follows the instructions properly and uses the grease supplied with the shim kit.
Just out of curiosity, do you use any type of tire shine on your Murano?

I had a couple Muranos with brake squeek problems before the newer parts were available. The dealership I worked for also serviced GM products( AC Delco makes replacement ceramic pads for the Murano) so i installed the delco ceramic pads on them. The customers never complained about a noise again.

I also had a guy constantly complain about squeeling from the brakes. He had about 20 reciepts from a local car wash on his dash. They spray tire shine on the tires every time they wash the cars there. The pads were soaked in tire shine.

Have you tried a different dealership?

JC 07-16-2009 07:37 AM

Left vehcile with Nissan last night.
I was advised that they will be fitting Ceramic Pads, replacing all Springs, Shims and clips and turning Rotors.In other words a total rebuild.
It is odd that on several visits and talks with the dealer i requested the fitting of Ceramic Pads in an attempt to try and resolve the problem,but they advised as they were not Nissan parts they would not fit them.
Now they are fitting them.
As for the Tires, never had Tire shine on them.
I do understand what you mean re the Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act, but also the same act covers the following:
"if the product, or a component part, contains a defect or malfunction, must permit the consumer to elect either a refund or replacement without charge, after a reasonable number of repair attempts."
With the milege now at 32,000 and the problem being mentioned to the dealer everytime i have taken the vehicle in for the 3,750 service, i feel the reasonable number of attempts have been given.

As for another dealer, no i have not tried another.
It started where i purchased the vehilce, and it will be resolved here one way or the other.

These guys are now only carrying out this work because Nissan have taken over because of the claim under the Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act.

mpe235 07-16-2009 02:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JC (Post 42563)
Left vehcile with Nissan last night.
I was advised that they will be fitting Ceramic Pads, replacing all Springs, Shims and clips and turning Rotors.In other words a total rebuild.
It is odd that on several visits and talks with the dealer i requested the fitting of Ceramic Pads in an attempt to try and resolve the problem,but they advised as they were not Nissan parts they would not fit them.
Now they are fitting them.
As for the Tires, never had Tire shine on them.
I do understand what you mean re the Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act, but also the same act covers the following:
"if the product, or a component part, contains a defect or malfunction, must permit the consumer to elect either a refund or replacement without charge, after a reasonable number of repair attempts."
With the milege now at 32,000 and the problem being mentioned to the dealer everytime i have taken the vehicle in for the 3,750 service, i feel the reasonable number of attempts have been given.

As for another dealer, no i have not tried another.
It started where i purchased the vehilce, and it will be resolved here one way or the other.

These guys are now only carrying out this work because Nissan have taken over because of the claim under the Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act.

Well I hope they get it right this time. If they can't fix brakes then I would be a little nervous letting them do anything else to the vehicle.

Good luck!

JC 07-17-2009 07:30 AM

Work completed.
So far all is well. Will keep you posted.