Nissanhelp.com Forums

Nissanhelp.com Forums (https://x.nissanhelp.com/forums/)
-   Altima (https://x.nissanhelp.com/forums/altima/)
-   -   2008 2.5S CVT Jerks during accel (https://x.nissanhelp.com/forums/altima/11847-2008-2-5s-cvt-jerks-during-accel.html)

gto78 06-12-2009 08:24 PM

2008 2.5S CVT Jerks during accel

My 2008 Altima has 22K miles on it. It's mostly highway mileage, and driven easily by my wife whos a fairly slow driver. We bought the car new, never been beaten on.

What it does is jerks and shudders during light acceleration, especially worse at about 40 mph. If you're lightly accelerating and decide to give a little bit harder accelerator, it jerks/shudders much worse. The shuddering goes away if you quickly hit the gas pedal enough to raise the rpms to a different power range. The car shudders enough that you feel like the car wants to stall or something, but it's obviously the transmission grabbing and letting go, pretty embarrassing when you have passengers who previously thought it was a nice car.......

One time while she was entering the turnpike the transmission began slipping and just revved to about 5500 rpm, and quit accelerating at about 60 mph. She had to let off the gas completely, once the rpms dropped to about 1200 or so it reengaged into gear and was able to drive normally.

I don't know if this is a common issue, or simply a worn out fluid issue. I'm not risking paying almost $20 a quart for the fluid to find out if that's the problem. So before I call the dealer, just wondering what to expect. I like to have some knowledge before discussing it with the warranty people at the dealer.

Steveatl 06-13-2009 04:27 AM

Certainly not normal or common and should be brought up to the dealer immediately. My '07 has never done anything like that.

sergey85 06-13-2009 07:14 PM

it may be the way cvt works but definatly bring it up to the dealer ,since im sure u still have the warranty, and have them take a look. also check out the service bullitin for your car as well as recalls on the top tabs under knowledgebase

gto78 06-14-2009 04:08 AM

I didnt see a tsb similar to that. Also, I know it's not supposed to do it, it was fine for the first 18K miles, just started recently. I'm hoping I bring it there and they do a fluid change during "inspection" of the filter, and I end up with new fluid under warranty. THat stuff's extremely expensive, at $19 a quart. Nissan has no competition selling that fluid, noone else is allowed to make it, so they might as well charge $100 a quart- greedy bastards.

Signman 07-09-2009 09:05 AM

jerking

I have a 2007 2.5 that is beginning to do that. I only have 18K on it. I don't drive it hard or anything like that. It happens during moderate acceleration. I guess I'll mention it to the dealer on my next oil change and see if they can figure out why it does that. I haven't had any luck with them finding my rattle in the right rear shelf panel. It's not the jack in the trunk or the trunk tention rods. I've removed the rear center brake light and drove the car and it still rattles. Does it more on hot days that cloudy cool days. It sounds exactly like the center brake light is hitting the rear window when you go over bumps in the road. If it can't be found before the warranty runs out, I guess I'll tear into it and find it myself. I've already fixed 2 rattles in my dash myself.

gto78 05-09-2010 06:59 PM

Just an update on our Altima. I brought it to the dealership and the jack asses charged me an hour labor at $110 to tell me nothing's wrong with it. They say all the Altimas do that and it's supposed to jerk and shudder around like your on speed bumps. I'm about to drive the car through the showroom door and create a nice display- while it's closed.

After waiting almost an hour for them to even pull my car out of the drive through delivery area, they let some punk kid jump in my car and tear through the parking lot like he's Ricky Bobby. The moron raced back and forth in the parking lot and parked it, then 10 min later they call and tell me the car is "done being checked" and give me a bill for $110 plus tax. They didn't simulate normal driving conditions, and didn't let it warm up. It has to be hot and driven for at least 20 min on the highway before the issue starts.

I asked the salesman if I could test drive a new Altima and he said sure no problem, then the "service advisor" came over and told the salesman I had a problem with my altima, and suddenly I wasn't allowed to test drive a new altima to compare.

I called nissan corp for assistance. They did absolutely nothing. They told me they have no control over the dealerships period. They said my complaint means nothing unless the dealer justifies it. They said the dealer can charge me whatever it feels like, and the dealers are only selling nissan cars but don't represent nissan- and don't have any sort of rules or commitments they have to follow. Nissan corp refused to even have a local regional manager at least call and have a conversation with me about my safety issue with my car. UNBELIEVABLE thumbs down service all the way around.

Maybe lemon law is in order, just need to get it there 3 times for the same complaint. Unfortunately this dealership has the bawlz to charge labor fees for a warranty issue. If they had real mechanics who know how to troubleshoot then it would be a different outcome.

Ponchoguy 05-10-2010 07:58 AM

Whoa, Nelley. How about bringing it to another dealer to see if they are more receptive to your problem? I wouldn't accept that from Nissan either, did you write the CEO of Nissan (and no one else, and not call or e-mail) a letter? First thing I would do.

Why did you pay the fee? I would have asked them to get Nissan Corporate on the phone right there to straighten it out.

The Better Business Bureau may help if you want to involve them, or ask to speak to the dealership's owner (and no one else).

It doesn't sound normal. No car I've driven (CVT or otherwise) has done this. My sister has a GMC Yukon and it has a transmission problem at 46k. I drove it, I felt it, she did too. Dealer said they couldn't, but they were documenting it in case the warranty ran out and it happened.

Sure enough it happened (still under warranty) and the dealer had it happen too. Now it's in for a warranty repair at no charge. Might need a complete transmission (clutch pack material in the fluid).

gsteeg 09-05-2012 03:09 AM

CVT Explanation.

The problem you have is a primary pulley which is worn ( i will explain )
The pulleys are made out of two parts and one is moving inwards and outwards.
Internal in the Primary Pulley (driving pulley ) is a piston with a teflon seal ring.
The part which is moving slides over the shaft with 6 ball bearings from 6 mm running in a groove machined in both parts.
These ball bearings are from a very bad quality and wear bad or even split.
This causes the problem that the parts of the pulleys are not moving smoothly anymore and sometimes jamming. This causes the shudder and when you keep driving it will wear out the teflon seal from the piston quickly and you will loose oil pressure which will cause slippage from the belt and forward clutch.
The best option is to replace the transmission or get it repaired.
For more info go to CVT Parts Online or Welcome to CVT New Zealand 2010 Ltd.

You can e-mail me on [email protected]

Regards Gsteeg.

Boland01 09-05-2012 05:37 AM

gsteeg, thanks for the explanation. For someone mechanically inclined is this still a no go job or is it doable? My altima is fine but I'm approaching 80K miles and you never know.