Nissanhelp.com Forums

Nissanhelp.com Forums (https://x.nissanhelp.com/forums/)
-   Maxima (https://x.nissanhelp.com/forums/maxima/)
-   -   P0011 and P0021. Worked entire flow chart, nothing! (https://x.nissanhelp.com/forums/maxima/11016-p0011-p0021-worked-entire-flow-chart-nothing.html)

kyoshea 04-01-2009 07:27 PM

P0011 and P0021. Worked entire flow chart, nothing!

I have a 2002 Maxima SE 3.5 6 Speed. My problem started when I was on a trip and noticed the fuel economy dropped dramatically. Then as I was accelerating onto the highway, I was shifting above 6500 rpm, the car started to lose power and went into limp mode. It was rapidly misfiring and luckily I got it safely off the road and towed to my shop.

At first there was only a MAF code in the code log. I replaced MAF and the problem did not improve. Car was hard to start, multiple cylinder misfires, and would not idle smooth or rev clean and stalled out. Also really rich. After some more run time more codes set. A p0304 and the P0011 and p0021. The 304 was a bad coil pack, which I replaced. I then cleared the codes. 304 is gone but 11 and 21 keep returning.

I have replaced fuel pump, crank sensor, both cam sensors. The car throughout all the diagnosing will randomly run perfect! Idles smooth and car revs clean like nothing is wrong. Then with no reason it starts misfiring and running really rich. If you drive it, it will not rev beyond 5,000 rpm. It feels like its missing 150HP when you push it and the bad idle and misfires return. If you try to push it above 5,000, then car will stall out sometimes then not start for a few crank cycles.

I pulled the entire harness out and tested continuity on the IVT solenoids, all grounds and replaced spark plugs. I tested all the coil packs. It was all in spec. I worked the entire Nissan troubleshooting flow chart for the 0011 and 0021 codes. Everything tested within spec. I bought a computer but it is not programed for my car and doesn't work. I'm totally lost. Now at idle my oil light sporadically lights up as well. I really don't know where to go from here besides the dealership, but they'll run the same flow chart as me. I have about 15 hours diagnostic time in this.

And ideas would be greatly appreciated! :cry:

tech22 04-02-2009 04:48 AM

Try putting a timing lite on it and see what you get for base timing.Next try to reset the ECM as it is now in Fail Safe Mode(No signal to the cam sensors).To do this disconnect the positive cable at the battery and let set for at least 30mins.The vehicle should start with no problem and allow it to warm-up.Check you base timing again.Preform the idle air /volume learn proceedure(EC section of service manual)If all is as you stated the you should be ok.

kyoshea 04-03-2009 02:49 PM

Checked timing, everything in spec. I did the relearn procedure and the car is still throwing the 0011 and 0021. It has no good power above 5,000. Drove the car today and it was rainy and it didn't want to die out after warming up and seemed to drive "normally" around town and on the freeway but with my scanner attached during my 1 hour drive it keeps setting the codes each time I clear them. Also now getting a p0430 but I suspect that is because the car is just running so rich.

I now get a pretty steady oil pressure warning light when the car falls below 1,000 rpm. Didn't check pressure today because my shop was so busy but I was able to get the car to pass the emissions test even though the 0011 and 0021 codes were present and the readiness codes were not set. On the rollers it passed below the limits for our county.

Still not sure what to do. I know my car is not running like it should and I feel a good steady miss every so often and the lack of oil pressure has me wondering. If the IVT solenoids are starved for oil would they malfunction?

Also read about some of the pathfinders and one post in particular about no power at full acceleration and the guy found the air swirl valve sticking on the vehicle. Does my maxima have a similar setup that would cause a lack of airflow and restrict intake air, throwing the fuel mixture rich and causing the IVT solenoids to malfunction?

Still lost on this, and my business partner doesn't even want to look at the car anymore since we've worked the flowcharts and after all the stuff replaced came up empty handed!

kyoshea 04-03-2009 03:34 PM

Just found TSB NTB06-079a about low oil pressure and the DTC p0011 and P0021. I'll check oil pressure asap and repost.

The engine has ALWAYS had oil changes every 3,000 or less and when I had the valve covers off, the top of the heads and all the oil passages look brand new. No sludge or any buildup whatsoever. Motor looks brand new inside the cylinders b/c I always run 93 octane. It was kind of shocking actually since I've owned the car for 6 years now and never done anything besides tires, brakes and struts. For having 103,000 on it!

kyoshea 04-13-2009 08:49 AM

So I checked the oil pressure and it is totally in spec. I changed the oil again and the oil I pulled out was really murky but didn't seem like coolant, more like metal. I'm having it sent out to be analyzed. In the meanwhile, I pretty much can't drive the car. It idles rough and now smokes, grey thick smoke until you really warm it up. While its smoking it idles really hard and there is a p0300 code set as well as the p0011 and p0021.

Any other suggestions on what to do?

kyoshea 04-29-2009 07:04 PM

I still have no ideas about where to go next

Car Trouble 01-16-2010 01:47 PM

I am having exactly the same troubles with my 2003 Pathfinder. I have replaced both cam sensors and a coil. I am still getting the same symptoms described in the OP--without the smoke. Have you resolved your issue? I am at a loss, and I bought this vehicle used, and out of warnaty two weeks ago.

kyoshea 01-16-2010 07:46 PM

My problem was finally traced back to a bad cat in the manifold. It had broken apart and become clogged. Once that happened the exhaust couldn't flow out the exhaust, it pressurized back up through the manifold and started to suck back in the intake. Cat pieces in the combustion chamber = bad. Did compression check on all cylinders and found 3 that were way off. I talked about this at the dealer and they said they have seen cats breaking apart and sucking in through the intake. Lucky for me I found a motor for $600 that had only about 40,000 on it. Put it in and all is good. Do a compression check, check oil pressure and follow my other steps. If you have a compression loss, start looking for a motor. Good luck.

Car Trouble 01-23-2010 10:32 AM

I just bought a used 2003 Pathfinder with 85k miles. It ran great the first week, then the check engine light came on. My mechanic has replaced the cam sensors and the variable cam solenoid valve. 5 miles down the road, the engine light came on again. I took it back to my mechanic who removed the new solenoid valve and said that it was stuck open due to sludge in the motor oil. I have the complete service records from the previous owner of the vehicle and the oil was changed every 3k-5k miles religiously. The mechanic did an engine flush, and we are now using Rotella 5-40 (highly deteregent diesel engine oil) and planning numerous oil changes every 500 miles in an attempt to wash out the sludge. I am not very confident that this will solve the problem. Most likely, if there is that much sludge, the crank/cam bearings will fail soon. I am now saving to purchase a rebuilt engine for the Pathy that I financed only two weeks ago.