Login  |  Register
Nissanhelp.com - All About Nissan
Do-It-Yourself Maintenance Owners Manuals Recalls/Campaigns Service Bulletins Service Manuals Nissan OBDII Codes Glossary & Acronyms More...
Member's Ride Photos Stock Photo Gallery
Classifieds - For Sale Classifieds - Wanted To Buy Classifieds - Mechanic Wanted Classifieds - Auto Services Search Auto Parts
Register FAQ Social Groups Mark Forums Read
heat loss at idle Forums > > heat loss at idle heat loss at idle
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Pathfinder Nissan Pathfinder Discussion Forum

Old 12-29-2008, 04:27 PM
silver05

Default heat loss at idle

looking for some help, never had this happen before. the heat works great while driving but while sitting the heat goes away. ( not completely just very cool) while looking under the hood i noticed that the a/c compressor was cycling on and off even though it is off in the cabin. thanks for any help
Old 12-29-2008, 04:46 PM
2015 Rogue

Do you have rear heat?
ASE Master Certified.
Old 12-30-2008, 07:00 AM
Gre

Check your radiator coolant level and make sure it is up to where it should be. If it is low, your engine will typically run hotter, but will not blow warm air at an idle. Also check your idle speed and ensure it is where it should be. Do you have a temp gauge on the dash? If so keep an eye on it. If your temp does not reach the mid range of the gauge, replace your thermostat.
This is not uncommon due to when your engine speed is low your water pump (which is mechanically driven with your fan belt) is also turning slower. If your heater fan is still blowing on high speed, it may be cooling the heater core faster than hot coolant is being pumped through the heater core. As soon as you step on the gas your engine speeds up, the coolant circulates faster, and you have more heat. I hope this helps.
Old 12-30-2008, 04:19 PM
2015 Rogue

If your path has rear heat look for a coolant leak from the rear lines where they go over the right rear suspension.
Old 01-06-2009, 04:18 AM
silver05

the rear has no heat when the front has heat. tried low speed and high speed for front and still blows cold air after about a minute of idling. also in the morning when warming up the temp gauge will hit operating temp but no heat. i will get heat when i bring the rpm to around 2000
Old 01-06-2009, 07:29 AM
2005 Pathfinder
2005 PATHFINDER

I have the same problem with my 05 pathfinder. No heat at idle but when i drive or rev up a little the heat starts.
Old 01-08-2009, 09:36 AM
Master Enthusiast
1994 Pathfinder
94 Pathfinder

sounds like an air bubble in the system. try burping it and see if that helps.
Old 01-08-2009, 03:53 PM
Master Enthusiast
2005 Frontier Crew Cab Frontier Crew Cab
05 nissan frontier

Air is trapped in the heater core and will require bleeding.This a something i did to get the air out of my 05 frontier...After driving home at nite i would crack open the recovery tank cap and let it sit overnite.Retighten the cap and drive again.After about three times of doing this i was able to get the air out and my heat was restored.
Old 01-08-2009, 06:22 PM
Bdaviskar

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpe235 View Post
If your path has rear heat look for a coolant leak from the rear lines where they go over the right rear suspension.

This happened to me , a leak in the back lines. My coolant was low and I did not have heat half the time.

Silver05-Did you check your coolant level ?

Last edited by Bdaviskar; 01-08-2009 at 06:24 PM.
Old 01-15-2011, 08:05 PM
issrnut

Default no heat @idle on cold start up

2005 pathfinder W/rear heat ,start truck when cold let run till temp gauge is @ normal temp truck has no heat.drive truck then heat is ok,ck coolant it is full ,no leaks. there is a heater pump on this truck does any one know how this works ,does it come on when truck is started ,or at a certin temp, thank for any help
Old 01-19-2011, 02:45 PM
2007 Pathfinder

Quote:
Originally Posted by silver05 View Post
looking for some help, never had this happen before. the heat works great while driving but while sitting the heat goes away. ( not completely just very cool) while looking under the hood i noticed that the a/c compressor was cycling on and off even though it is off in the cabin. thanks for any help
This just happen to me. It finally stopped working at all. Are you having and issues with your transmission? The issue with the cracked radiator has caused a lot of problems. Here is my responds from my previous post.

The heater on my 2007 Pathfinder has resently started not getting hot while idling. As long as I'm giving it gas it's fine. I also have the same issue as so many others with my transmission and radiator. My radiator has a milky greasy substance in it. My transmission is very jerky and feels like I'm driving over rumbling strips at 40 to 60 mpg. I have an appointment this week at the dealership. I have 69000 miles so I'm hoping Nissan will fix it under the new extended warrenty. Did anyone else have issues with their heater when they had the problems with their radiator and transmission? We are a Nissan family. We have owned bought 14 new Nissans over the last 20 years and have swore to never own anything else. The 2007 Pathfinder that we currently have has been one problem after the other. I guess I'll find out what Nissan thinks of their loyal customers this week when they decide how they will handle my current issues.

UPDATE: Just left the dealership after taking my Pathfinder in for all the issues I was having. They said that my radiator is cracked, which has destroyed my transmission and heater core. Also said that the gas gage is bad and timing chain is believed to be stretched. They gave me a loaner and said that everything was covered under the extended warranty. THANK GOD. I was really surprised they had no problem at all taking care of everything.
Old 01-20-2011, 03:22 AM
Gre

Every one should just do what I did.... Trade that piece of junk off and buy a Toyota.
Old 01-20-2011, 05:13 PM
issrnut

Default no heat @ idle

trans fluid ok ,coolant full no oil in coolant, trans shifts fine
Old 12-09-2011, 06:51 AM
2007 Pathfinder

Hi guys just wondering if silver05 was ever able to repair your problem. I have and 07 and have had the same issue for at least a year now. I'm guessing it is probably air in the system somewhere but am not sure. I have no T.fluid in the coolant nor do I have rear heat on mine. Going to try the 3 day bleed mentioned here this weekend. Thanks for the help.
Old 12-09-2011, 10:27 AM
Super Moderator
2004 Xterra

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hogballjim View Post
Hi guys just wondering if silver05 was ever able to repair your problem. I have and 07 and have had the same issue for at least a year now. I'm guessing it is probably air in the system somewhere but am not sure. I have no T.fluid in the coolant nor do I have rear heat on mine. Going to try the 3 day bleed mentioned here this weekend. Thanks for the help.
Please let us know if it works. Usually the problem is just air in the cooling system.

Tags
heat, idle, loss