Login  |  Register
Nissanhelp.com - All About Nissan
Do-It-Yourself Maintenance Owners Manuals Recalls/Campaigns Service Bulletins Service Manuals Nissan OBDII Codes Glossary & Acronyms More...
Member's Ride Photos Stock Photo Gallery
Classifieds - For Sale Classifieds - Wanted To Buy Classifieds - Mechanic Wanted Classifieds - Auto Services Search Auto Parts
Register FAQ Social Groups Mark Forums Read
How to replace right front combination light (parking/turn signal) Forums > > How to replace right front combination light (parking/turn signal) How to replace right front combination light (parking/turn signal)
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Pathfinder Nissan Pathfinder Discussion Forum

Old 11-21-2008, 01:29 PM
eelpohc

Default How to replace right front combination light (parking/turn signal)

I have a 2001 pathfinder and I'm trying to replace the bulb in the right "front combination light" (i.e. the parking and turn signal). I unscrewed one screw (the only screw I could find) at the top of the assembly, but can't seem to pull the assembly forward (as per the owner's manual). I feel as if I'm going to break something if I pull it any harder than I am. Does anyone have any idea why I'm not getting this to come off right?
Thanks.
Old 11-21-2008, 01:33 PM
Master Enthusiast
1994 Pathfinder
94 Pathfinder

push on it from the inside?
Old 11-21-2008, 01:47 PM
eelpohc

I'm assuming when you say "inside," you mean from behind the assembly, under the hood. There really isn't any way to push on the back of it. It's blocked by too much other material.
Old 11-21-2008, 05:50 PM
Master Enthusiast
1994 Pathfinder
94 Pathfinder

isn't it just a rubber dam?

can you show me a pic?
Old 11-22-2008, 05:46 AM
eelpohc

I finally just muscled the assembly off and it turns out there is a clip at the bottom of the assembly that is supposed to come out when you pull the assembly forward. In my pulling of the assembly off, I broke the clip because it is way too tight. I even had a hard time pulling what was left over of the broken clip out with a pair of plyers. Bottom line...poor clip design. Hopefully this has been fixed in newer models. Thanks for the help!
Old 11-22-2008, 09:20 PM
Master Enthusiast
1994 Pathfinder
94 Pathfinder

glad you got it but that's a bummer on the broken clip.
Old 11-30-2008, 01:39 PM
bpdawg

I had the same problem trying to remove the combination light to replace the bulb, I sprayed some WD40 in the bottom right corner where the clip is and it turned loose without breaking. Hope that helps you the next time!
Old 02-08-2009, 01:24 PM
2001 Pathfinder
1989 240SX

Default Front Signal Light - Here is the FIX.

To replace the bulb - without breaking the housing, follow these steps.

1) Remove the screw on top (as shown in the owners manual). At this point, you can probably wiggle the light assembly, but there is plastic pin in a nylon grommet that is usually stuck. The pin is located about 1" from the bottom and 3/4" from the inside edge of the assembly. DO NOT FORCE THE ASSEMBLY OR IT WILL BREAK.

2) Try to get some WD40 on the stuck pin. This is tough because you can't see it - but do your best.

3) Make a pulling tool: Flat heavy sheet metal approximately 3/4" x 8" (I used an old butter knife - don't tell my wife). Bend the tool 90 degrees about 1/2" from end.

4) Latch vise grips on the straight end. Work the bent end down between the headlight and parking light assy. so that it is about 1-1/2" from the bottom. The point of contact for the hook is actually in some soft foam that is on the back of the assembly.

5) Tap on the vise grips lightly pulling the parking light assembly straight forward - your pulling tool should NOT be working against the headlight. After 8-10 taps, the parking light assembly will "pop" free without damage.

6) Grease that sucker when you re-assemble it.

Good luck.
Old 02-08-2009, 06:12 PM
laxman0324

I had the same problem this weekend when I replaced my entire headlight housing with blacked out versions...IMO clips are cheaping out on almost any application, and that is a particularly poorly designed one. Both of mine broke while removing them, I pray it is a long time before I have to replace the bulbs on the current ones...
Old 09-03-2010, 07:38 AM
lavallie

Thanks for the info guys. Ok here is the low down on the combo light assembly. It is held in by one screw that you access by opening the hood and remove it from the far left or right of the hood depending which assy your removing.

You then need to wiggle the light assy out a little bit so you can shoot a little WD 40 to the inside of the light, closest to the grill, that is where the "clip" is ( but it is really a small post that inserts into a clip ring monted on the front assy.} The trick here is to pull the assy out as STRAIGHT as you can forward. I used a flat head screwdriver to leverage it from the grill side forward. If you twist or pull hard left to right, you will break the post. No need, it actually comes out easy using the screwdriver.

DO NOT use force. Gently wiggle the assy forward and it will come out.
Old 03-06-2011, 03:13 PM
Navy Chief

Quote:
Originally Posted by jl2002 View Post
To replace the bulb - without breaking the housing, follow these steps.

1) Remove the screw on top (as shown in the owners manual). At this point, you can probably wiggle the light assembly, but there is plastic pin in a nylon grommet that is usually stuck. The pin is located about 1" from the bottom and 3/4" from the inside edge of the assembly. DO NOT FORCE THE ASSEMBLY OR IT WILL BREAK.

2) Try to get some WD40 on the stuck pin. This is tough because you can't see it - but do your best.

3) Make a pulling tool: Flat heavy sheet metal approximately 3/4" x 8" (I used an old butter knife - don't tell my wife). Bend the tool 90 degrees about 1/2" from end.

4) Latch vise grips on the straight end. Work the bent end down between the headlight and parking light assy. so that it is about 1-1/2" from the bottom. The point of contact for the hook is actually in some soft foam that is on the back of the assembly.

5) Tap on the vise grips lightly pulling the parking light assembly straight forward - your pulling tool should NOT be working against the headlight. After 8-10 taps, the parking light assembly will "pop" free without damage.

6) Grease that sucker when you re-assemble it.

Good luck.
Thanks for this info. I was unfamiliar with the configuration of the "clip" you talked about. Turns out it is exactly the same fastener design as the rear tail light assemblies have.

I had NO WD-40 and nothing to make the angled metal tool from, so I stole some butter flavored PAM cooking spray from the pantry and, once I loosened the lens assembly, I sprayed that stuff all around the right side and down from the top. Now that I have removed the assembly, and realize where the fastener is located, I think spraying down on top of it was most effective. Following your instructions, I finally pulled the assembly out, but with significant effort. Pull the assembly STRAIGHT FORWARD!!! Following these instructions will decrease the likelihood of damaging the clip. It goes back in in a flash. Now I have a non-stick lens assembly that - for now - smells buttery.

Last edited by Navy Chief; 03-06-2011 at 03:20 PM.
Old 11-30-2011, 01:26 PM
01MNPathy

Hey Guys,
Just wanted to say thanks for the help on this topic. Here is a picture of the pin & clip after I successfully removed the turn signal housing on my 01 Pathfinder WITHOUT breaking anything (I think the WD-40 did help). Hopefully this will help others understand what they are dealing with (mine didn't come out easy).
Attached Thumbnails
How to replace right front combination light (parking/turn signal)-photo-jpg  
Old 05-22-2012, 10:02 AM

2001 Pathfinder

After removing the screw holding the top, I was able to easily work some flat, braided nylon cord inside of the screw flange, around the grill side of the light, and down around the lower corner, and out the bottom of the lamp, near the clip.

By pulling mostly on the lower end of the cord, I was able to get the lamp out without any damage to the clip.

I removed both lights this way. One had been punctured by a low flying bolt, and I decided, that for an extra $10, I would replace them with TYC's product. Their plastic is very nicely done, but the rubber seals are marginal. I would be interested in reviews of other replacement products.
Old 09-09-2012, 12:27 PM
1998 Pathfinder

Default clips on corner lights

Quote:
Originally Posted by 01MNPathy View Post
Hey Guys,
Just wanted to say thanks for the help on this topic. Here is a picture of the pin & clip after I successfully removed the turn signal housing on my 01 Pathfinder WITHOUT breaking anything (I think the WD-40 did help). Hopefully this will help others understand what they are dealing with (mine didn't come out easy).
First off, THANK you for posting the picture. It made everything clear and I was able to remove/replace the housing with very little trouble..
For what it's worth I used a HandiBar (springy nail puller tool) to get under the front edge and apply tension straight out. Works like a charm, no breakage.
Also, for what it's worth, us OLD guys call that type of assembly a 'bayonet' clip. If I'd read anyone talking about a bayonet clip, I would have known right away that it was that round shape fitted into a socket and held by it's own spring tension.
Thanks again.
Old 10-17-2012, 05:17 AM
2000 Pathfinder

Why nobody post a few picture for that procedure ? i think its more easy graphical than only words.

Tags
combination, front, light, parking or turn, replace, signal