Login  |  Register
Nissanhelp.com - All About Nissan
Do-It-Yourself Maintenance Owners Manuals Recalls/Campaigns Service Bulletins Service Manuals Nissan OBDII Codes Glossary & Acronyms More...
Member's Ride Photos Stock Photo Gallery
Classifieds - For Sale Classifieds - Wanted To Buy Classifieds - Mechanic Wanted Classifieds - Auto Services Search Auto Parts
Register FAQ Social Groups Mark Forums Read
Replacing Fuel level sending unit Forums > > Replacing Fuel level sending unit Replacing Fuel level sending unit
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Pathfinder Nissan Pathfinder Discussion Forum

Old 08-13-2008, 03:17 PM
sw4218

Default Replacing Fuel level sending unit

2005 Pathfinder - Does anyone know if the fuel level sending unit can be easily detached from the fuel pump assembly? I'm looking at replacing only the sending unit.
Old 08-13-2008, 03:18 PM
2015 Rogue

Yes. It is very simple. It just clips on.
ASE Master Certified.
Old 08-15-2008, 12:19 PM
jasonlprice

i have a 2005 pathfinder. can this be replaced without dropping the fuel tank?
Old 08-15-2008, 03:15 PM
2015 Rogue

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasonlprice View Post
i have a 2005 pathfinder. can this be replaced without dropping the fuel tank?
No the tank has to come out. The sensor is mounted on the side of the fuel pump assy.
Old 10-03-2008, 09:29 PM
Tech Enthusiast
2005 Xterra

i took a couple of months to eventually change mine on my xterra.....you should not have any gas in the tanka.. i estimated how much i had and ran out of gas, i only put 3 dollars of gas to get back to my work area. although the web instructions say to remove the rear drive shaft, i did not have to remove it at all...... i jacked up the fuel tank rear side of the truck and proceeded..... you will have to release the fuel preassure from the system..... you will open your hood and on the battery side towards the windshield there are 2 plastic covers.... the larger one closest to the windshield is the one you open ..... once open look inside the cover and you will find the diagram for the 15 fuse ... you want to pull that fuse and let the engine die out from no fuel being pumped.... i am sure you have seen the service repair on the hoses and fittings you have to remove...... so i will skip that..... have a paint brush and a bucket of water or hose and when you remove the tank wash it off on the top area..... an o ring metal holds the fuel pump in place...... using a flat head and a hammer you will use the flat head to loosen the metal ring.... when you pull the pump out very slowlly, it will have some gas inside of it..... i would not try to pour it in the gas tank since you will splash and the dirt on the opening to the gas tank will end up in your tank..... wash the opening with water and the brush very slowly ...... once you have cleaned the opening, take the sending unit and remove it from pump........... then attach new sending unit..... attach ring in place and use flat head to lock in place............. the most important thing is that you might get the breather hose placed between the bottom of the truck and the gas tank........... make sure you dont place the hoses where they are going to be blocked or stuck with the gas tank..... good luck
Old 04-27-2009, 04:02 PM
camark1

I have a 2005 Nissan Pathfinder I just paid 800 dollars to replace my fuel sending unit the Cerritos Nissan. I was told they have to replace the whole fuel pump not just the sending unit. I drove with the light on for about 25,000 miles no problems I just took it in with a oil change to check the light and that was the diagnosis.
Old 05-12-2009, 10:50 AM
rulisano

Default Fuel level sending unit.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpe235 View Post
Yes. It is very simple. It just clips on.
I've heard from another mechanic that it is not that simple because the fuel makes the clips so brittle. is this true or is he thinking of another vehicle.
Old 05-12-2009, 03:48 PM
Tech Enthusiast
2005 Xterra

it clips on..... just preassure wash under the tank area the day before you work on it to remove most of the mudd/dirt on top of the tank..

and have a small paint brush and a bucket of water to clean the locking ring (again)before removing it... once you remove the fuel pump locking ring, you will have some dirt inside the grooves.... i would fold something to place inside the tank to collect anything that falls in the tank while you clean out the locking ring area.

it was not hard at all...... my only mistake happened when we put the tank back on we had the breather hose under the tank and body . make sure you see where the hoses run before removing them so that you can place them on the same path.
Old 12-01-2009, 02:12 PM
TREV111111

Default 2007 pathfinder

wondering if some one could give me a part number and a place to order fuel sending unit
Old 03-03-2010, 02:41 PM
2005 Pathfinder

Nissan admits to a problem with the fuel sending unit...see link

Nissan recalls nearly 540,000 vehicles worldwide - Yahoo! News
Old 03-03-2010, 06:04 PM
92lowtoy

just replaced my whole fuel unit. You guys think i can get my money back now that they just ordered a recall on these trucks?
Old 03-04-2010, 02:25 AM
2015 Rogue

Quote:
Originally Posted by 92lowtoy View Post
just replaced my whole fuel unit. You guys think i can get my money back now that they just ordered a recall on these trucks?
They do usually reimburse for stuff like that. When you get your recall notice it will usually tell you how to go about getting reimbursement if you have had the repair done.
Old 03-04-2010, 08:17 AM
92lowtoy

cool thank you i just paid 500 for that if i get that money back would be great.
Old 12-01-2010, 09:01 AM
lalady225

nissan sent out letters to extend the warranty on the fuel guage sending unit. they extended it form 36months/36,000 miles to 72months/72,000. the letter also states that if you already paid to have it replaced you may be able to get reimbursed. all the info and reimbursement form is on www.nissanassist.com
Old 12-01-2010, 02:50 PM
generoub

Default Fuel sending unit covered by Nissan Customer Care

I had this issue approx 5 months ago. I talked with Nissan Canada 'customer care' and stated my issue and that I wanted the diagnosed problem fixed at their expense..... which they complied with after 3 days of review and covered ~$425 for repair at my dealership. All my previous servicing was done at this dealership and purchased both a 2006 Pathfinder & 2009 Murano from same place.

I just received a Bulletin in the mail from Nissan Canada stating that this fuel sending unit is now waranteed to 120,000km &/or 7 years.

Tags
fuel, level, replacing, sending, unit