Login  |  Register
Nissanhelp.com - All About Nissan
Do-It-Yourself Maintenance Owners Manuals Recalls/Campaigns Service Bulletins Service Manuals Nissan OBDII Codes Glossary & Acronyms More...
Member's Ride Photos Stock Photo Gallery
Classifieds - For Sale Classifieds - Wanted To Buy Classifieds - Mechanic Wanted Classifieds - Auto Services Search Auto Parts
Register FAQ Social Groups Mark Forums Read
RPM'S too High Forums > > RPM'S too High RPM'S too High
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Pathfinder Nissan Pathfinder Discussion Forum

Old 08-07-2008, 07:24 AM
Phantom2

Default RPM'S too High

I have an 06 Pathfinder which I purchased new 45,000 miles ago.It has been and outstanding vehicle with absolutely no issues whatsoever.Recently I've noticed a problem with the engine rpms when coming to a stop.The rpms stay high,about 1000 rpms,as the transmission downshifts when coming to a stop.You can actually hear that the rpms are high at each downshift.I also have the same problem when I decelerate and take my foot off the gas,the rpms actually jump.I've had the vehicle back to the dealer twice, but they tell me there's no problem.I don't get any codes.Any help is appreciated
Old 10-03-2008, 09:36 PM
Tech Enthusiast
2005 Xterra

i will start with 2 things that might cause this..... your mass air sensor on the air intake might be dirty and the computer is feeding more fuel into the engine....disconnect the positive terminal on your battery. you have to use a special cleaner for the mass air sensor along with gloves so that you dont touch it.... and clean the side of the sensor where you can see the small sensors...... although you dont have any codes coming on ..... i dont think that your carbon canister valve is not working properly and preassure has built on your fuel tank..... i would say that when you fill up ... and drive 30 minutes stop turn off engine and remove gas cap to listen to abnormal fuel vapor preassure being released..... i dont think you have that problem.... i would say start with the mass air sensor....
Old 10-04-2008, 01:21 AM
Tech Enthusiast

06,08 Pathfinder & Altima

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phantom2 View Post
I have an 06 Pathfinder which I purchased new 45,000 miles ago.It has been and outstanding vehicle with absolutely no issues whatsoever.Recently I've noticed a problem with the engine rpms when coming to a stop.The rpms stay high,about 1000 rpms,as the transmission downshifts when coming to a stop.You can actually hear that the rpms are high at each downshift.I also have the same problem when I decelerate and take my foot off the gas,the rpms actually jump.I've had the vehicle back to the dealer twice, but they tell me there's no problem.I don't get any codes.Any help is appreciated
I had a similar issue with my 95 Pathfinder, turned out to be a cracked vacuum line. One of the lines my have been accidentally loosened or pulled out.
Old 10-04-2008, 12:35 PM
Tech Enthusiast
2005 Xterra

Npath---- i am at 100,000 miles... in the morning when i let the truck warm up when i press the brake to shift the autotranny into reverse the split second when the lever is taken out of park towards reverse, my rpm wants to move up for that second it takes to move the shifter..... could i have a loose hose somewhere.???? what hoses should i check??
Old 10-04-2008, 04:04 PM
Tech Enthusiast

06,08 Pathfinder & Altima

Quote:
Originally Posted by xterramexico05 View Post
Npath---- i am at 100,000 miles... in the morning when i let the truck warm up when i press the brake to shift the autotranny into reverse the split second when the lever is taken out of park towards reverse, my rpm wants to move up for that second it takes to move the shifter..... could i have a loose hose somewhere.???? what hoses should i check??
Does sound to me you have a vacuum leak somewhere. You'll have to check all the hoses (vacuum lines) for cracks or disconnects. They'd be in the engine compartment around, the throttle body. There MAY be a line between the firewall and throttle body.

Don't bother with any wiring as I think electrical would be the second problem, if not vacuum lines.

Don't bother with hoses/lines that contain fluids. It'd be obvious if there's a leak.

If you can't solve the problem, is there another dealer? That's all I can think of.

Good luck
Old 04-29-2011, 01:47 PM
2005 Pathfinder

I have the same exact issue after cleaning the throttle body..any answers on this one is extremely helpful.
Old 04-29-2011, 07:50 PM
Master Enthusiast
2005 Frontier Crew Cab Frontier Crew Cab
05 nissan frontier

I would first try preforming an idle air/volume learn proceedure as outlined in the service manual in chapter EC.You can find that info here at this site.If the idle is still to hi read farther and there is another proceedure to rest the base idle. PS... Check the fluid in the tranny for coolant contamination.
Old 05-02-2011, 11:12 AM
2005 Pathfinder

I followed the relearn process from 05 Pathfinder..just cleaned throttle body, service light on... : Pathfinder Forum / QX4 Forum and my SES light did go off, but it returns. I wonder if there is a step missing on that process or something? When I start it cold, it revs to 2500 or so, then drop to 1500 and slowly makes its way to 825rpms. When I step on the accelerator in neutral and let off, it will drop down to about 1100 for a second or two, then drop to around 825, Its very annoying when you are driving 40 or so and you let off because when the idle drops it slows the vehicle for just a split second and then recovers. (not the easiest to explain) I bypassed my trans cooler a long time ago so no fluid. This all started the second I started it after cleaning the throttle body.
Old 05-03-2011, 06:44 PM
Master Enthusiast
05 nissan frontier

If you have a code P0506 idle low; or p0507 idle hi then you may have a damaged throttle idle control motor which is located within the throttle body.The manual states to replace the Ecm but this may not be the case inwhich you will need to replace the throttle body,Not cheap either.This was the case on my 05 frontier which shares the same drive train componates.Everything you have spoken of points to this.So get to somebody with a scanner and check for these code.The very thing you did to clean it is what i did to cause mine to fail even though iv'e done so on many nissans in the past.
Old 05-04-2011, 08:13 AM
2005 Pathfinder

Thanks for the info tech22. It really wouldn't surprise me if simply cleaning something on this P.O.S. vehicle would break it. Basically all I did was spray some cleaner on a rag and wipe the crud out, not sure how that could break it, but like I said, nothing would surprise me anymore. I pulled the codes and I got the following..P0447 Emission System Vent Control Circuit Open, (I've pulled canister and checked the operation of the valve and I could hear it opening and closing so I put it back together..plugged canister, or broken wires somewhere??) P0507 Idle Air Control System RPM higher than expected, P0463 Fuel Level Sensor a circuit high input. Let me ask you this, if there is a problem with the evap system could that be affecting the idle system now that I unplugged the throttle body to clean it? I've gone through all procedures..reset ecu, idle relearn, throttle closed position, etc etc. I can get the light to go out, but when I restart it, it will come right back on. I don't own a code reader so I can't see what it is, but the idle is not right and also when I let off the accelerator, the rpm's fall and then jump back up and its annoying as he-- when I'm driving through the neighborhood and it surges everytime I let off. Thanks again for any advice.
Old 05-06-2011, 05:38 AM
Master Enthusiast
05 nissan frontier

My mistake was to open the butterfly valve with my finger without first disconnecting the negative side of the battery.The po463 is for the fuel sending unit which can be replaced without replacing the whole fuel pump assy.Go to Courtesynissan.com for the part.Did mine in about 2 1/2 hours in my driveway.Just make sure you have as much fuel out of the tank as possible to help getting the tank down.There were some problems with the purge control valves and that too i had to replace with the updated part.Mine diden't seem to effect the idle just gave the code.
Old 05-06-2011, 07:07 AM
2005 Pathfinder

I did push the butterfly valve open when I cleaned it, but I had the connection on the throttle body disconnected before I pushed it open. I did not disconnect the negative cable at all, I didn't think it would be necessary since I didn't have the key on or anything. What were your symptoms when yours was damaged? Did yours want to surge when you let off the accelerator? Do you think it's worth a trip to the dealer to have them hook their diagnostic machine to it vs me clearing the codes and trying to do the relearn process with no luck? I will tackle the fuel sending unit and I guess try replacing that purge valve to see if that takes care of that code. Thanks.
Old 05-10-2011, 09:30 AM
2005 Pathfinder

After driving for a number of days now I'm experiencing the same problems..high idle/surging/feeling the transmission downshifting, so RELUCTANTLY I made an appointment with the dealer for tomorrow. When I mentioned to the service guy that I cleaned the throttle body and now I have the high idle..he said you can wait while they do it..allow about 45mins to an hour. Do they see so many of these that they can be that confident?? I read on another forum where a guy tried everything he could to fix the same exact issues as I have so he finally brought it to the dealer. He claimed that they used the CONSULT instead of the pedal relearn process and that fixed it. The service guy quoted me $89.95. I will update this post tomorrow afternoon and hopefully it's not to say they can't fix it and I need a new TB!
Old 05-11-2011, 10:44 AM
2005 Pathfinder

Just returned from the dealership. Explained my issue, told the service rep I cleaned the TB and now it has a high idle, he writes it up as "IDLE RELEARN" and 10 mins later my truck purrs like a kitten and my wallet is $95.00 lighter. They explained that the idle relearn is proprietary and can only be reset by their CONSULT machine. Now it doesn't not rev high when I start it, it idles at 625-650rpms, it does not surge and it does not downshift hard. Word to the wise fellow Nissan owners, either plan on taking it to the dealer for the service or plan to pay the piper for the relearn!

Tags
high, rpm