Login  |  Register
Nissanhelp.com - All About Nissan
Do-It-Yourself Maintenance Owners Manuals Recalls/Campaigns Service Bulletins Service Manuals Nissan OBDII Codes Glossary & Acronyms More...
Member's Ride Photos Stock Photo Gallery
Classifieds - For Sale Classifieds - Wanted To Buy Classifieds - Mechanic Wanted Classifieds - Auto Services Search Auto Parts
Register FAQ Social Groups Mark Forums Read
2005 Pathfinder downshift question + Forums > > 2005 Pathfinder downshift question + 2005 Pathfinder downshift question +
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Pathfinder Nissan Pathfinder Discussion Forum

Old 07-13-2010, 04:45 AM
getoverit55

Default 2005 Pathfinder downshift question +

Hello everyone, I am new to this site and love it. So much information! I searched a few times for this issue but couldn't find it. When my Pathfinder downshifts you can actually feel it. It kinda jerks the vehicle forward and you can see the RPM's increasing. It up-shifts fine but the downshift seems really odd to me. Also, on the initial start up the Pathfinder is really loud. I just had the timing belt issue fixed so that's def not it. Could it be the fan clutch? Thank you for your help.
Old 07-13-2010, 08:02 AM
2005 Pathfinder
2006 Altima

In what situation are you talking about the downshifts? Downhill? Rolling to a stop at a stop light.

Concerning the loud startup. Mine sounds like a monster when it's cold. Everything that is going to rattle, does. The fans are kicking on, the oil needs to start flowing. If it warms up and it's still really loud, I might look into it then.
Old 07-13-2010, 08:46 AM
getoverit55

Thanks for the response. The downshift issue is all the time, on any surface. The start up is quieter once the pathfinder is warm, but its really load when cold. Does yours on cold start-up rev above 2K. Does everyone else with the 4.0 experience this also?
Old 07-13-2010, 08:50 AM
2005 Pathfinder
2006 Altima

Not sure about the downshift. I'll take note on my way home. Mine definitely revs that high, at least. Helps to confirm my remote start.
Old 07-13-2010, 08:51 AM
getoverit55

Rolling to a stop is when it is most noticeable.
Old 07-13-2010, 08:52 AM
getoverit55

Thanks, i appreciate it.
Old 07-13-2010, 03:02 PM
2015 Rogue

The loud start up is most likely a bad fan clutch.
For the shifting issue check the condition of your transmission fluid. It is common for the cooler in the radiator to fail and contaminate the transmission fluid with coolant. If your transmission fluid is pink or looks like chocolate milk you will need to replace the transmission and the radiator.
ASE Master Certified.
Old 07-13-2010, 04:00 PM
getoverit55

Thanks for the info. I am aware of this transmission / radiator issue but i also found a thread on the site indicating the 2005 pathfinder was fitted with two different radiators, one with an internal tranny cooler and one with an external cooler. It also indicated the problem was with the internal coolers. Is this correct? The reason i bring this up is because my Pathfinder has the external cooler, so i was hoping i was clear from this "not so fun" problem. Again thanks for the info.
Old 07-13-2010, 04:28 PM
2015 Rogue

Quote:
Originally Posted by getoverit55 View Post
Thanks for the info. I am aware of this transmission / radiator issue but i also found a thread on the site indicating the 2005 pathfinder was fitted with two different radiators, one with an internal tranny cooler and one with an external cooler. It also indicated the problem was with the internal coolers. Is this correct? The reason i bring this up is because my Pathfinder has the external cooler, so i was hoping i was clear from this "not so fun" problem. Again thanks for the info.
They have both coolers. All of them have one in the radiator.
Old 07-13-2010, 04:30 PM
getoverit55

That sucks. Now i have to worry about that too. Thanks.
Old 04-29-2011, 01:42 PM
2005 Pathfinder

I'm wondering if anyone else has had this issue and if they ever figured anything out? I have the same thing going on after I cleaned my throttle body. Now I have the high idle error code and you can feel the transmission downshift when you come to a stop. My transmission cooler has been bypassed so no strawberry milk..this started right after I cleaned the throttle body. If I get the ECU to relearn the idle speed is there a good chance my downshift issue go away when the idle goes back to normal? I've tried the relearn process numerous times with no luck..is it really this stubborn?
Old 05-11-2011, 11:20 AM
2005 Pathfinder

I also posted this on the RPM's too high thread. The hard downshift had everything to do with the high idle after cleaning the throttle body. After I had the dealer reprogram the proprietary idle relearn with their CONSULT for $95 everything is back to operating normally.

Tags
2005, downshift, pathfinder, question