Login  |  Register
Nissanhelp.com - All About Nissan
Do-It-Yourself Maintenance Owners Manuals Recalls/Campaigns Service Bulletins Service Manuals Nissan OBDII Codes Glossary & Acronyms More...
Member's Ride Photos Stock Photo Gallery
Classifieds - For Sale Classifieds - Wanted To Buy Classifieds - Mechanic Wanted Classifieds - Auto Services Search Auto Parts
Register FAQ Social Groups Mark Forums Read
another 2005 pathfinder catalytic problem? Forums > > another 2005 pathfinder catalytic problem? another 2005 pathfinder catalytic problem?
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Pathfinder Nissan Pathfinder Discussion Forum

Old 07-05-2012, 09:17 AM
Enthusiast
2005 Pathfinder

Default another 2005 pathfinder catalytic problem?

i will try to be quick, in the past 2 months my car has just suddenly quit running 3 times. first time i was about to get gas and the car wouldn't restart when i tried to move it closer to the pump (low fuel light hadn't come on yet, and yes fuel level sending unit has been replaced already). i made a couple phone calls and then just before i called AAA i tried it 1 more time and it started right up. about 3 weeks later on a very hot day with about 1/2 tank of gas it just quit on me while driving 45 mph, the car had been left running for about 10 minutes while i went inside a store and left the dog in the a/c which(which was just recently checked out and recharged about 2 weeks ago). This time i had the call into AAA and the car was left sitting for about 45 minutes when i decided to check the fuses, low and behold the fuel pump fuse was blown, switched the fuse out with the rear window defogger fuse and it started right up. about 1 week ago I had a little less than a 1/2 of tank of gas and she just quit as i rounded a corner, so immediate i changed the blown fuel pump fuse in the engine compartment but the car wouldn't start no matter how much i cranked it, my thought was the gas lines were empty and just needed to pump some fuel to the engine but still no go. Called AAA and just before they got there car started right up(that was about an hour after changing the fuse). long story short AAA wouldn't to the car, i drove it to the dealer the next day and in the way to the dealer (about a 30 mile drive) check engine lights came on, went to advanced and got the codes read for myself so i could start looking up the issues online, there were 3: p0420 catalyst system below threshold bank 1, p0420 pending, and 1446 no dtc definition. Dealer checked the car said there was an excessive draw on the fuel pump circuit and i needed a new fuel pump. after 6 days of waiting for a part (some moron at Nissan label the part haz-mat and fed-ex returned it because they couldn't deliver it, and had to wait an extra 2 days for part to get there). Car was done and test driven when i picked it up the asked the dealer if everything was set and this took care of the idiot light, his exact words "fuel pump is in, tested and working but as for the light they had nothing to do with the fuel pump so we just cleared them, they will probably come back on." i asked what do you mean he said one was for a problem with the catalytic converter and you need to replace that, and he couldn't remember what the other was, but neither had anything to do with the fuel pump. i asked if maybe the oxygen sensor was bad (already knowing the problem) but he said that usually in theses cars the only thing to fix it is replacing the catalytic converter. The p1446 just baffled me because i already replaced the vent control valve but whatever. Of course the check engine light came on, read the codes but only 1 present this time p0420, a little relief only 1 problem but a very costly problem of course. So i have been driving the car just waiting to get the $900 to replace the cat. for about a week with the light on, today i went out started the car to let the a/c run for about 5 minutes and then when i came back, the light was off??? can anyone help, will it be coming back on, soon anyone's opinion will help
Old 07-05-2012, 11:24 AM
Super Moderator
2004 Xterra

Quote:
i will try to be quick
:-(

Quote:
today i went out started the car to let the a/c run for about 5 minutes and then when i came back, the light was off??? can anyone help, will it be coming back on
It's possible, the only way to know by connecting a smog machine and check the efficiency of the catalytic converter. Sometimes just by changing the fuel brand or octane stops the ECM triggering the code.

My suggestion, clear the code, start using high octane gas, clear the self learning and adjust the base idle, and if possible, clean the injectors and carbon deposits. May or may not work, but you have nothing to loose and it will definitely improve your engine performance.
Old 07-05-2012, 11:44 AM
Enthusiast
2005 Pathfinder

i know, not very brief sorry.

Last edited by dsm0274; 07-05-2012 at 11:58 AM.
Old 07-06-2012, 09:58 PM
Enthusiast
2005 Pathfinder

how do i go about cleaning the injectors? is there a fuel addative or is there a special dealer tool i need to use, i have read about the problems associated with the cleaning the MAF and trying to reset the computer with that and am a little hesitant i haven't had much luck resetting the MIL withthe pedal dance.
Old 07-10-2012, 03:21 PM
Enthusiast
2005 Pathfinder

As my usual luck goes, the light came back on about 2 days ago, i kept driving it and low and behold, the ces light went out again today, i didn't have time to get to auto zone to check the code so i don't know what the exact problem was, just assuming it was the p-0430 because that would be the most expensive of the most recent problems. Is it common for the p-0420 code to come and go like this or would this be more indicative of a bad o2 sensor if it is in fact the p-0420, hopefully when it comes on in the next 2 days i will be able to get the code read

Last edited by dsm0274; 10-10-2012 at 11:22 PM.

Tags
2005, catalytic, pathfinder, problem