Login  |  Register
Nissanhelp.com - All About Nissan
Do-It-Yourself Maintenance Owners Manuals Recalls/Campaigns Service Bulletins Service Manuals Nissan OBDII Codes Glossary & Acronyms More...
Member's Ride Photos Stock Photo Gallery
Classifieds - For Sale Classifieds - Wanted To Buy Classifieds - Mechanic Wanted Classifieds - Auto Services Search Auto Parts
Register FAQ Social Groups Mark Forums Read
3.3L Knock Sensor Relocation Forums > > 3.3L Knock Sensor Relocation 3.3L Knock Sensor Relocation
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Pathfinder Nissan Pathfinder Discussion Forum

Old 09-20-2013, 11:19 AM
2000 Frontier

Default Still doesn't start..??

OK.. maybe.. I missed something, Relocated new knock sensor/Harness as pictured, found the conduit and found a black shielded white wire wrapped by a flat gray wire, kind of like a coax cable, cut and peeled back the gray wrapped wire and twisted it into a long one piece strand of wire,

next I cut the white wire and connected it to the wiring harness, I noticed pictures of the "old" sensors had only One wire attached the #1 side.

Checked my codes on the code reader and everything ..PASSED

Sill can't get my 2000 Nissan frontier V6 to start...ANY suggestions???
Old 09-20-2013, 11:35 AM
1999 Pathfinder
1999 Pathfinder

The other wire is a ground and unnecessary as the knock sensor grounds itself when attached with a bolt to the manifold.
The sensor has nothing to do with starting or not but rather is more an emissions related issue. You need fire and gas to start and run.
Pull and plug wire and ground an old plug while someone cranks it over to check for spark. If you have spark then check for gas by unbolting an injector and again using a container, cranking it should pump gas.
If you have fire and gas, it's a timing issue with gas and fire out of sync.
Good luck.
Old 09-20-2013, 02:30 PM
2000 Frontier

Default Fuel to Cylinders OK...NO Spark

Thanks Again Chartrain, Fuel is going to the Cylinders but no spark to the Plugs..I just installed New plugs so they aren't the problem. I'm not a mechanic, sooo..what might be the cause..?
What happened is while I was driving the truck..it stalled at a red light..an would NOT restart. I happened to have my OBDII with me and the code reader code said I had a malfunctioning "Knock Sensor", relocated it with a New Sensor & Harness (rather easy to do), connected the wires (after finally finding them) and rechecke with the code reader...it said "PASS". But now as you stated I checked fuel/spark.
I could smell the fuel on the #1 spark plug I removed.....I checked the #1 location on the Distributor with a lighted probe designed to check spark...Nothing.!
Trucks battery recharged to 100%..so what might be the cause..any & all help appreciated....!!!
Old 10-13-2013, 03:53 PM
2004 Frontier King Cab

I have a 2004 Frontier with the 3.3 v6 in it and am now getting the PO328 code for the knock sensor. Since this forum is rather old, can anyone tell me what I need to complete this relocation on my truck? I'm new to the forum, so forgive my ignorance, and thank you.
Old 10-13-2013, 03:55 PM
2004 Frontier King Cab

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrifterJoey View Post
I just had this happen to my 04 Frontier. I did relocate the knock sensor (stock 04 Frontier knock sensor new ebay $7 shipped) but didn't have to cut/splice any wiring. I was able to remove a small mounted heater hose line in the back of the intake manifold allowing for just enough room to unplug the stock harness and reroute it to the new location. I left the old sensor right where it was because i could not get to it with tools. It was very tight and took about 1hr total but worth not cuting the harness for me. It was 2 10mm bolts and 1 hose clamp, then fold the hose and flange still attached to the heater side back out of your way to reach behind. You will need to add some high temp gasket maker to seal the flange back to manifold, but thats super easy. Its running as good as new and no further problems.

is there anyway you could photo this for me? I'm in your shoes and would appreciate all the info you could provide.

btw, awesome strategy.
Old 10-13-2013, 04:30 PM
2004 Frontier Crew Cab
1992 240SX

Quote:
Originally Posted by charliedontsurf View Post
is there anyway you could photo this for me? I'm in your shoes and would appreciate all the info you could provide.

btw, awesome strategy.
I am not able to upload pictures of it, but it is on the back of the intake toward the firewall. It has 1 hose coming off and 2 #12 bolts. If you are looking between the engine and firewall you can't miss it. If you have small hands you can get it unplugged without taking off the hose and plate.
Old 10-13-2013, 05:01 PM
2004 Frontier King Cab

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrifterJoey View Post
I am not able to upload pictures of it, but it is on the back of the intake toward the firewall. It has 1 hose coming off and 2 #12 bolts. If you are looking between the engine and firewall you can't miss it. If you have small hands you can get it unplugged without taking off the hose and plate.
thank you regardless. has your truck worked well since? any issues with the mod?
Old 10-13-2013, 05:05 PM
2004 Frontier Crew Cab
1992 240SX

Works awesome, just got back home to Vegas from San Diego. Next weekend I'm towing my 28foot car hauler and drift/race car to willow springs for ASB13. 19mpg highway mileage. Doesn't get any better than that.
Old 10-13-2015, 07:33 AM
2004 Frontier King Cab

Quote:
Originally Posted by autry024 View Post
Is there any other code associated with your knock sensor code? An all out knock sensor failure will give primary symptoms like an erratic idle and secondary symptoms like horrid gas mileage. On my 99 qx4 I had two codes stores one was the knock sensor and the other was an emissions component. ( didn't say specifically) In most cases a doesn't equal b. For example a faulty air temp sensor triggers a knoc sensor code because these two items work off each other.
Double check your work, see what comes back and report back.
I'm wondering if with the quote above applies to my problem. My check engine light came on yesterday. Had it tested and it came back with 2 codes, p0328 for knock sensor and p0406 for egr valve. Could the egr going bad trigger the knock sensor code to also be active? Engine runs fine and gas mileage is still the same.
Old 10-27-2015, 07:02 AM
1997 Pathfinder

Great posts, Thank you!
Old 03-10-2016, 05:41 PM
2004 Xterra
2004 xterra

I performed the relocation process, before I had two codes for the Knock sensor, high voltage and low voltage codes.. After doing the relocation I have High voltage (p0328), is it possible that it is the ground to the sensor causing it, since it grounds to the intake manifold which is aluminum?

Anyway, i plan to hookup a wire directly to the negative bat post and the sensor, just to make sure there is no ground problem will post an update when I am done..

I also have a code for my catalytic converter, BUT I was told by someone else who knows these trucks well, that the code is most likel caused by a crack in the y-pipe just below the cat.. removing the pipe, welding the crack should fix it, or replacing the pipe for 900$.. lol

I can't believe though that nissan gets away with having this many problems with almost all the cars/trucks with this engine and do not even create a TBS for it.. Makes me miss the quality of toyota...
Old 03-14-2016, 09:16 AM
2004 Xterra

Quote:
Originally Posted by gary3701 View Post
If you do not want to remove the upper and lower intake manifolds you can relocate the new knock sensor as follows:

1. You will need to buy a knock sensor stub harness for a Maxima, part number 24079-31U01 about $23.00 from Nissan.
2. Install your new KS on to the top of the intake manifold as shown, you will need to get a longer bolt. Do not over Torque the bolt.
3. Locate the existing wire harness on the right valve cover (left in pic) and with a razor blade cut open the harness being careful not to cut wires inside (some of the fuel injector wires are also in this same harness).
4.Remove the connector from the end of the new stub harness that is not used to connect to new KS and splice the existing KS wire and shield to the new KS stub harness wire and shield.
5. Clear codes in computer if required.

Did the Knock Sensor relocation about 3 weeks ago.
Have the Knock Sensor for my Xterra and couldn't find the harness for it. However, I bought another that came with harness (for an Xterra XE V6, 2.4L) install this one instead cause the harness would not fit the KS that fits my SE V6 3.3L. Worked fine, but my engine light came on again 3 weeks later.

Is it because the KS is only for an XE 2.4L rather than the SE 3.3L? If so, where can I find the harness for the KS that fits my Xterra. It has been really impossible to find this harness.

However, I've notice other people are using a KS for a Nissan Maxima. What is the year of the maxima that I can use the KS that will fit my 2004 Xterra SE V6 3.3L?
Old 03-14-2016, 09:18 AM
2004 Xterra

Default 2004 Xterra SE V6 3.3L

Quote:
Originally Posted by NissanTech View Post
Thank you very much for the information!!
Have the Knock Sensor for my Xterra and couldn't find the harness for it. However, I bought another that came with harness (for an Xterra XE V6, 2.4L) install this one instead cause the harness would not fit the KS that fits my SE V6 3.3L. Worked fine, but my engine light came on again 3 weeks later.

Is it because the KS is only for an XE 2.4L rather than the SE 3.3L? If so, where can I find the harness for the KS that fits my Xterra. It has been really impossible to find this harness.

However, I've notice other people are using a KS for a Nissan Maxima. What is the year of the maxima that I can use the KS that will fit my 2004 Xterra SE V6 3.3L?
Old 03-14-2016, 03:13 PM
Super Moderator
2004 Xterra

Quote:
Originally Posted by billevy View Post

Did you get the same engine code? usually the knock sensor will set the engine code, but will not trigger the engine light.
Old 03-14-2016, 11:46 PM
2004 Xterra

Default 2004 Xterra SE V6 3.3L

Quote:
Originally Posted by NissanTech View Post
Did you get the same engine code? usually the knock sensor will set the engine code, but will not trigger the engine light.
Actually, at first my codes were 420, 420p (CC) and 328, 328p after erasing the codes and plugging the reader back in, the reader code was plain 328 (KS), once I install the KS and clear the light again, the reader game me "NO CODES"

Now 3 weeks later light on again, but 0420,0420p, cleared them out, it reads "NO CODES AGAIN" if my catalytic was bad I would have not passed the smog test few days after.

Again, is the KS for an Xterra XE 2.4L incompatible, does it truly need to be for an SE 3.3L?

Tags
33l, knock, relocation, sensor